Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What does English-players play as black? (Read 2441 times)
BigBen

Re: What does English-players play as black?
Reply #5 - 11/11/04 at 15:29:06
Post Tools
Hi,
     When I get bored instead of advancing my g pawn 1 square I move it 2  Grin a la Basman so 1.c4 g5?!

Regards

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #4 - 11/02/04 at 01:51:47
Post Tools
Yes, I play the Sicilian vs 1.e4.  Like I told GM Kosten, I even play the Botvinnik set-up as Black vs the closed Sicilian and since I have studied GM Kosten's book, I have learned to play this defence to the closed sicilian significantly better with great results.

Tony told me:  shhh, just don't tell IM Gary Lane.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

Voprak
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
!

Reply #3 - 03/21/03 at 10:57:10
Post Tools
I've played the English opening for years on and off as primarily a way to avoid the plethora of opening preparation needed to play 1.E4(time a factor for me).  I also have found it very useful to transpose into 1.D4 openings while avoiding others.  For me personally I've experimented for opening with Black and found the French, Slav/Semi-Slav to be a good fit.

IP Logged

GaryBird
YaBB Newbies

Mahler is my life!

Reply #2 - 03/21/03 at 09:14:26
Post Tools
I have recently started playing the English (using Tony Kosten's book) and as black I play The Modern against everything!

In my situation, days are like women - each one's so damn precious, but they all end up leaving you.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 02/28/03 at 04:59:34
Post Tools
Hmm ... well, the Sicilian can obviously have a lot of similarities to the 1...e5 lines of the English, but in the Open Sicilian with 2.Nf3 and 3.d4 the main lines for Black are really not very similar to the English - the extra tempo makes a big difference to the flavour of the play!

I suppose there are exceptions though - the hedgehog-type positions you get in the Kan or Taimanov variations, and if you want to fianchetto your king's bishop the Accelerated Dragon is probably a good bet (although the 'normal' Dragon is a very different matter, I think).

Personally, I don't really try to make my Black and White openings 'fit together' like that - I play the Pirc mostly, with the odd Alekhine thrown in for variety's sake.  I suppose these are both 'hypermodern' openings, but I would not say they have much in common with the English in terms of the types of position that tend to emerge.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

What does English-players play as black?
02/27/03 at 17:38:25
Post Tools
I`ve just started experimenting with the English and I am happy to see that I am doing better with it than I did with 1.e4. I`ve just got a simple question; What does other English-players play against 1.e4.  Is 1...c5 a defence which have an English "feeling" to it?

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo