Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Another Question for Tony or strong players (Read 4810 times)
Nolan

Re: Another Question for Tony or strong players
Reply #6 - 09/12/03 at 00:17:19
Post Tools
Simon Williams in "Play the classical dutch" suggests that after
4.Nc3;   Nf6 might be a more ambitious try.
He gives.  4.Nc3 Nf6 5.exf5 Bxf5 6.d4 Nbd7 =
4.Nc3 Nf6 5.d4 exd4! 6.Nxd4 Nxe4 =

im not really sure about this idea though?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 03/19/03 at 06:25:54
Post Tools
I will ask Stefan the next time I see him.
Looking in my book on the Latvian (with 3 d3) I see that I give the position after 6...exd4 7 Nxd4 Nxd4 8 Qxd4 Nf6 as leading to equality in a Lerner-Bareev game.

IP Logged

honeymade
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 03/07/03 at 12:22:53
Post Tools
The line Beim gives after 1 Nf3 f5 2 d3

is 2...d6 3 e4 e5 4 Nc3 Nc6 5 exf5 Bxf5 6 d4 when his main game is Krasenkow - Kindermann 2001 when black was destroyed after 6...Nb4?

Beim quotes an old Bareev game where Black played 6...Nxd4 and wound up equalizing, but it seems to me that after something like 7 Nxd4 exd4 8 Qxd4 c6 9 Bd3 Bxd3 10 Qxd3 which I believe happened in the game, black has some light square weaknesses and white might be able to get a small but enduring edge.

Tony, it said on the Daring Defenses website that you're a teammate of Kindermann's, know you know if he would play 1...f5 again and go for 6...Nxd4?

-H

IP Logged

honeymade
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 03/07/03 at 11:29:59
Post Tools
I play the Stonewall but have been considering learning the Leningrad for just the reasons you guys mention.  This is some extra work but probably not much more than learning the symmetrical english anyway so could work.  I even got Beim's book on the Leningrad since I was thinking of this and it had so suggestions against 2 Nc3 and 2 Bg5 I could use with the Stonewall as well.

The real problem I have with culdesac's suggestion is that I play the Sveshnikov Sicilian against e4, so after something like 1 Nf3 d6 2 e4 it seems annoying, although if I was willing to play a Pirc or Najdorf this would be a nice move order to avoid lots of white systems. 

The most obvious solution to this seems to be trying 1 Nf3 f5, but an IM I know tells me this is not a good move order because of 2 d3 and 3 e4 or 2 e4.  GM Beim seems to think these lines are okay for black though in his book.  I'll have to check Tony's section after I finish this post to see what he has to say.

-H

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #2 - 03/07/03 at 05:10:37
Post Tools
I would go along with culdesac's suggestion - I play the 1...d6 2...e5 lines with both sides and I actually feel rather more comfortable on the black side I think.  Of course the transposition to the Dutch is only good if you play the Classical or Leningrad - if it is a Stonewall you are after, then obviously ...d6 is a bit out of place  Undecided

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

culdesac
YaBB Newbies

No sabemos lo que pasa,
eso es lo que pasa...

Reply #1 - 03/07/03 at 04:31:17
Post Tools
Well if you play the Dutch after d4 you should consider the following against the English and Reti:

1.c4 d6 2.Nc3 e5 3.g3 f5
1.Nf3 d6 2.g3 e5 3.d3 f5
1.c4 d6 2.d4 f5!

IP Logged

honeymade
YaBB Newbies

Another Question for Tony or strong players
03/06/03 at 20:39:53
Post Tools
Hi Guys,

I'm rated about 2100 FIDE and trying to get to FM.
I play the Dutch against 1 d4, but this doesn't seem to work as well against 1 c4 or 1 Nf3 so I was going to try 1...c5 and go for a symmetrical english.

My problem is choosing lines for black after 1 c4 c5
White seems to have so many option between Hedgehog type lines, Anti-Benoni, 3 Knights, Pure Symmetrical.  Any advice on what lines to play?   I want something where I can at least get some winning chances, and hopefully don't have to study 8 different white systems.

-H

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo