Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 4.g4 in the Anti-Nimzo-Indian (Is Black better?) (Read 2161 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: 4.g4 in the Anti-Nimzo-Indian (Is Black better
Reply #1 - 05/21/03 at 05:56:07
Post Tools
My feeling is that if Mickey Adams puts his queen on e7 and then castles queenside, it is because his king is safest there! Wink
After 7...0-0 8 Qc2 (there doesn't seem any point cluttering-up the g-file with the bishop - the rook will be using it) 8...Nc6 9 Rg1 Nde5 White can play 10 Nd2 and f4, say, but even 10 Nxe5 Nxe5 11 Bd4!? Nxc4 12 Bf6 comes into consideration. Undecided
Anyway, White always has the bishop pair and even in fairly closed positions these can be very useful, so I don't think we will be seeing the end of 4 g4 just yet!

IP Logged

Patrick McCartney

4.g4 in the Anti-Nimzo-Indian (Is Black better?)
05/01/03 at 17:33:40
Post Tools
I open my games as White with 1.Nf3 (usually, though occasionally something else), and against attempts at a Nimzo-Indian, I play 1...Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3.  I've been looking at 4.g4 against 3...Bb4, but also question its soundness, and wonder if 4.Qc2 really is the only way to go (assuming you don't wish to transpose to a Nimzo-Indian and play 4.d4). 

I noticed in the e-book that 4...Bxc3 in the 4.g4 line of the Anti-Nimzo Indian is a mere side note and appears to be assessed as solid, but unclear (maybe equal).  I am curious if I perhaps found an improvement for Black in the 4...Bxc3 line that makes Black better?

In Tony's e-book, he gives 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 e6 3.Nf3 Bb4 4.g4 Bxc3 5.dxc3 d6 6.g5 Nfd7 7.Be3 Qe7 8.Be2 e5 and claims that "Black is solid".

While speaking only as a 2000-rated player, I still seem a little suspicious about the usefullness (and even the whole point behind) of 7...Qe7.  I therefore looked into it, and thought perhaps the following line was better than 7...Qe7 (copying moves 1 through White's 7th in the line mentioned in the previous paragraph):

7...0-0 8.Bg2 Nc6 (The development seems more critical than advancing the e-pawn a second time...also, plan to move the d7-knight to e5 to unblock the bishop) 9.Qd2 Nde5 10.Nxe5 Nxe5 11.b3 a5

and I seem to think that Black would be slightly better here.  White's pawns on the queenside are clumped together and if White plays 12.a4 to avoid ...a4 by Black, his Queenside pawns become severely compromised.  The position still has all 16 pawns on the board with no signs of any pawn trades any time soon, and so I would think the closed nature of the position would make the knight another trump card for Black to go along with the better pawns.  Also, with 2 sets of minor pieces traded, Black seems to have less problems with either the slight disadvantage in space (the player with the space advantage wants to keep pieces on) or the direct attack on his king (now that half the minor pieces, and especially the White knights in a closed position, are gone).

Am I missing something?  Does White have an improvement somewhere between moves 8 and 11?  Or do we see 4.Qc2 becoming the move that 4.g4 players start running back to? ???

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo