Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C01: Exchange: GnuChess keeps dropping a pawn (Read 2794 times)
dom
YaBB Moderator

Re: Exchange: GnuChess keeps dropping a pawn
Reply #3 - 06/15/03 at 15:26:23
Post Tools
I built some PGN files for the French Exchange based on some systems I try to play as Black (Nc6,Alekhine variation).

You can download them at:

And good luck for Gnuchess...

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Simon Waters

Reply #2 - 06/09/03 at 03:50:13
Post Tools
It is out of book because both games in the standard database have Bd6, and are losses for black. I'm guessing if the version is 5.02+ you may have the smaller Winboard database. But books aren't everything, and you can add your own games back into the database (this is much quicker in later versions).

Alas 5.07 beta of GNU Chess still seems happy to play the 4. Bb4+, but isn't keen on the c5/c4 plan, and prefers Nbd7 at the vital moment., although earlier having prefered Nc6.

I'd expect 5.06 to play as 5.07 as the bug fixes were more technical than chess related.

Sometimes I wonder how much progress we've made in how GNU Chess plays recently, but if nothing else it plays differently, and has different idiosyncracies . There are some significant bugs before 5.04, so I recommend 5.06.

If anyone has a collection of French exchange games by top GMs that is free of any copying restrictions, so we can include it with the next release let me know by email. Usually raw unannotated scores  are regarded as part of  a record of a public event although not everyone agrees on this.

IP Logged

dom
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 05/12/03 at 06:07:52
Post Tools
Maybe GnuChess is out of book because engine plays classical line with Nf6, but 4...Nc6 keeps more options opened.
Without Nf6, against Ne2 system, Black can try Alekhine move Qh4 (the same plan exists with colours reversed with Qh5 or with the same idea, control of f5 and d5 with Larsen's variation Qf3).
With Nf6, position looks like Tarrasch with c5, and White has main plans with dxc5 and b3 after c4 for Black. In your game, White looses tempi to route knight to king's side but with an expensive cost, because good bishop will be exchanged, and center is not closed thus loosing tempi is questionable. It's original but I don't think it's enough to give strong advantage to White after the opening. It's true still that White can try this original way to win a tempo, because when White first castle, rook on f1 must move to enable Nf1.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

gjempty
YaBB Newbies

Never met a piece sac
I didn't like

C01: Exchange: GnuChess keeps dropping a pawn
05/08/03 at 22:13:53
Post Tools
Below is the PGN score.  I've been down this path more than once now.  I realize GnuChess is out of book as of move 5.  And that this is at the 10 minute level.  Still I think it demonstrates some new and interesting ideas for white in the Exchange (Nb1-d2-f1).

[Event "Computer chess game"]
[Site "XPDESKTOP"]
[Date "2003.05.08"]
[Round "-"]
[White "george"]
[Black "GNU Chess v5.02+"]
[Result "*"]
[TimeControl "40/600"]

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 exd5 4. Bd3 Nf6 5. Ne2 Bb4+ 6. c3 Be7 7. Nd2 O-O
8. Nf1 Re8 9. Qc2 c5 10. Bg5 c4 11. Bxf6 cxd3 12. Bxe7 Rxe7 13. Qxd3

« Last Edit: 08/03/11 at 20:52:38 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo