Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What to play against flank openings? (Read 4335 times)
AmateurDragoneer

Re: What to play against flank openings?
Reply #4 - 06/19/03 at 15:38:17
Post Tools
Quote:
What about C5? if 2.e4 then 2...e6 and then possibly transpose into a frenchish game with d5; If 2.d4 play your benoni; if 2.g6 signifying a KIA then possibly playing a system with NC6, D5, E5, and possibly castle queenside (possibly similar to the Samich variation of the KID.

I used to play c5 against Nf3 because I play the Sicilian and 2. e4 is a direct transposition. But then 2. c4 takes you to a symmetrical english which is incredibly boring.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #3 - 06/19/03 at 15:34:25
Post Tools
It depends on what you play as Black against both e4 and d4 as there are numerous transpositions. I play the Dutch and Sicilian so I play f5 against just about every flank opening. The more obscure ones like the Orangutang and Grob require a bit more looking into but against the likes of Nf3 and c4 I just play f5 and follow up with Nf6 (which is necessary in the first few moves to stop e4), g6, Bg7, d6, and e5, then either Nc6 and Bd7 or c6, Nb8-a6-c7, and Bd7. So far it's worked out well.

IP Logged

tp

Reply #2 - 06/11/03 at 18:09:16
Post Tools
My above thoughts are for 1.NF3. As for playing against the english what about playing the variation that you do not like playing against as white. This way you kill 2 birds with one stone! You teach yourself how to play against that variation as well as how to play it.

IP Logged

tp

Reply #1 - 06/11/03 at 18:04:42
Post Tools
What about C5? if 2.e4 then 2...e6 and then possibly transpose into a frenchish game with d5; If 2.d4 play your benoni; if 2.g6 signifying a KIA then possibly playing a system with NC6, D5, E5, and possibly castle queenside (possibly similar to the Samich variation of the KID.

However I am no master and these are just my thoughts

IP Logged

Luis Entrada

What to play against flank openings?
06/10/03 at 17:19:24
Post Tools
Hi! I want to know what to choose against these flank openings 1.Nf3 or 1.c4 ? I myself play English with white and Benoni with Black versus d4 and French versus e4 but what to play versus 1.Nf3 or 1.c4? I thought about KingsIndian but I am not sure.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo