Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nasty Rumor about KID being "refuted" (Read 15204 times)
woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Re: Nasty Rumor about KID being "refuted"
Reply #13 - 09/17/05 at 11:31:14
Post Tools
Thanks for the game, MNb.

Smyslov-fan's mentioning about black's weak d6 pawn reminded me of something very interesting that i read some years back. To add to the mystery of chess.... it seems that just because a pawn looks weak doesnt mean its weak!! Shocked

Bronstein was commenting abt the diagram below: (from Play Like a Grandmaster)

http://www.france-echecs.com/diagramme/imgboard.phpfen=2b1r1k1/1p2rpbp/2pp1np1/q...

"It seems its time to reveal here the secret of the pawn at d6 in the KID. Although this pawn is on an open file & is apparently subject to attack, yet its still a tough nut to crack. Its hard to get at. What would seem easier than moving the KT at d4 away, but the point is that the Kt is badly needed at d4. Its task there is to observe the square b5, c6, e6 & f5 as well as neutralising the B at g7. The Kt can only move away from the ctr after white has prepared to meet balck's various threats (a4-a3, Bc8-e6, f7-f5) but during the time taken by these preparations Black will be able to reform his ranks.

Hence the weakness of the d6 pawn turns out to be imaginary. Modern methods of playing te opening know many of such 'imaginary' weaknesses, yet it was the supposed  'permanent' weakness at d6 that long condemned the KID as 'dubious'"

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/16/05 at 23:06:57
Post Tools
I went over both in my great predeccessors volume two i beleave. These games were my insiration! Bronstein makes it look so easy.

I of course noticed at once that it wasnt but i do the same thing in my games. White has nicelu placed pieces and i have engergy waiting to explode on both sides given the chance.

This is what dynamic chess truley is!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #11 - 09/16/05 at 21:21:51
Post Tools
Thanks, MNb!

That does ring a bell now.  I think I first saw it in a book on the KID by Raymond Keene of all people! Shocked

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #10 - 09/16/05 at 21:19:36
Post Tools
The sister game is Pachman-Bronstein, from the same event. Playing over the two games one after another is quite hilarious.

Pachman,L - Bronstein,D [E67]
Moskwa-Praha, Moskwa (2), 1946

1.d4 Pf6 2.c4 d6 3.Pc3 e5 4.Pf3 Pbd7 5.g3 g6 6.Lg2 Lg7 7.0-0 0-0 8.b3 Te8 9.e4 exd4 10.Pxd4 Pc5 11.Te1 a5 12.Lb2 a4 13.Tc1 c6 14.La1 axb3 15.axb3 Db6 16.h3 Pfd7 17.Tb1 Pf8 18.Kh2 h5 19.Te2 h4 20.Td2 Txa1 21.Txa1 Lxd4 22.Txd4 Pxb3 23.Txd6 Dxf2 24.Ta2 Dxg3+ 25.Kh1 Dxc3 26.Ta3 Lxh3 27.Txb3 Lxg2+ 28.Kxg2 Dxc4 29.Td4 De6 30.Txb7 Ta8 31.De2 h3+ 0-1

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #9 - 09/16/05 at 20:31:54
Post Tools
Thanks a bunch Smyslov!!  Cheesy

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 09/16/05 at 17:04:41
Post Tools
Here's the Zita-Bronstein game.  This is essential viewing not just for anyone who faces the King's Indian, but for anyone who wants to know what "dynamic" chess is all about.  (There's a "sister game" that was played in the same match.  I don't remember who was White, but I'm pretty sure Geller was Black.)

Zita,F - Bronstein,D [E68]
Moscow-Prague Moscow (6), 1946

1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 d6 4.d4 Nbd7 5.g3 g6 6.Bg2 Bg7 7.0-0 0-0 8.b3 Re8 9.Bb2 c6 10.e4 exd4 11.Nxd4 Qb6 12.Qd2 Nc5 13.Rfe1 a5 14.Rab1 a4 15.Ba1 axb3 16.axb3 Ng4 17.h3 Rxa1 18.Rxa1 Nxf2 19.Re3 Nxh3+ 20.Kh2 Nf2 21.Rf3 Ncxe4 22.Qf4 Ng4+ 23.Kh1 f5 24.Nxe4 Rxe4 25.Qxd6 Rxd4 26.Qb8 Rd8 27.Ra8 Be5 28.Qa7 Qb4 29.Qa2 Qf8 30.Bh3 Qh6 0-1

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #7 - 09/16/05 at 14:29:37
Post Tools
The KID is definitely not refuted for if it were there would already be headlines in the chess news already. So rest assured no 'bust' lines just yet.

Other points supporting my argument here has already been addressed at length & detail by the rest, so I shall not repeat them in a different rendition.

But 2 points which I would like to repeat for emphasis: A LOT of homework & an inclination towards attacking play or at least an aggressive positional player are prerequisites to adopt it as part of one's repertoir.

@ Smyslov_fan - Do you have that Zita-Bronstein game?? If you do, would you post it up here for my play thro pleasure??

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 09/16/05 at 14:06:50
Post Tools
I'll never go on record as saying the entire KID is refuted, but let's remember its history.  It was considered an inferior line until the Soviet Era really took off, and the Zita-Bronstein game suggested that a revolution in chess thinking was taking place.  In that game, White had a nice comfortable center, Black had a weak d6 pawn, and Black opened up play on the Queen-side.  The game looked to be about over except that Bronstein showed the queenside attack to be a mere prelude to a furious attack across the entire board culminating in White surrendering with his king about to get mated.

This was the epitome of dynamic chess; if White had survived until the endgame, he probably would have had good chances of scoring the full point.  But he never had the chance because his "naturally" placed pieces were in no position to deal with the concrete threats of the position.

In other words, the KID has always been on the threshhold of being positionally viable.  If the concrete variations start to turn to White's favor, then Black really is in trouble.  The KID probably needs another Knight like Bronstein to come to its rescue right now. 

The King's Indian is an opening that I love to play against because I feel like I'm upholding the side of Truth, Beauty, and Righteousness against a sea of chaos.  I know from firsthand experience that the KID is extremely fertile grounds for Black to play for a win and is a dangerous weapon.  I also know that below a certain level, the KID is just a sure way to ask to get suffocated, shot, drowned, and frozen out by White. 

So unless you're Rasputin or a very strong player with a great attacking imagination, perhaps you should stay away from the KID. But do me a favor; play it against me with lots of rating points on the line for both of us!  I could always use some help since I usually only get to play tournament chess in the Summer, and I don't get many chances to gain rating points! Grin

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #5 - 09/16/05 at 12:20:18
Post Tools
From what I gather, players at the very top, Say top 20, are worried about Re1 or ne1 lines in classical KID. At that level of understanding, they feel, it is very difficult to equalise and black would be playing for 2 results and white 3. This is what Kasparov said when he moved out of KID.

Further, I think it's Nigel Davies, opined that, basically Kasparov moved out of KID since it was too much to handle both Najdorf and KID and dropped KID (Well Basqueknight, you are in very good company Tongue)

Bottom line is, Kasparov moved out of KID, so there's something wrong with it Grin

No. I don't subscribe to it. It's a case of following the trend setters without asking questions. KID is not and (though I don't have the locus standi to say this) cannot be refuted.

But, playing KID is lot of work.

CastleRock

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/16/05 at 09:45:47
Post Tools
Very interesting thought on the whole theory over load. I must admit i play both the Najdorf and Kings Indian and it is difficult to learn two dynamic systems which is why i still trot out hte french and the Owens on occasion. But i could save a lot of time and energy if i were to drop one of them.

Dont know if i will soon but if i had to i would keep my kings indian as it has prove it self constantly for me. The play is dynamic and i can start counter atacking very quickly. The Bayonet attack doesnt care me that much i have only played against it tiwce with score of 1.5 out of 2 not bad.

But if the Kings Indian is ever refuted then it will become a culy like the crazy BDG guys. Imagine our magazine Kings Indian World

Heh it would be neat

Maybe we should have one any way even if were not a chess cult.

But yeah if a refutation is ever shown i think we need to keep an eye out for those guys who throw out all the crap about a line being bad cause people tell me the owens is bad and these people are the people i beat with it. Others who i havent played say it is weak but so what. After they kill me as white ill believe them and it better be in the opening to show that my owens is refuted. Other wise i wont believe you for a second.

So people who say they refute need to back it up in spades. Like more than one game of beating a past or present world champion.

IP Logged

Kruzifix

Reply #3 - 02/22/04 at 04:17:24
Post Tools
Kasparov played 1.e4 against Radjabov in Linares 2004, as already in Linares 2003!
Surely you know that Radjabov plays exclusively the Kings Indian against 1.d4, instead he stopped playing the Dutch Stonewall.
I think this reveals a lot about the quality of this opening!

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #2 - 08/30/03 at 14:38:00
Post Tools
I agree, the KID is far from refuted. I remember looking at the Bareev-Radjabov Game in the Chesspublishing.com column is Chess Life and Radjabov seemed to be fine throughout the game. However, Kasparov's point about playing the Sicilian and KID is absolutely true. I used to play the KID along with my standard Dragon and found the theory to be too overwhelming so I switched to the Dutch. If you play another opening against 1. e4 that requires less theory than a Dragon or Najdorf and can learn another major opening, KID is an excellent choice and a fierce defense. I loved the positions I would get when playing the KID. But between all the novelties coming out of the Classical Variation and the constant need to keep up to date with the Saemisch, I just couldn't do that and keep up with the Dragon Yugoslav as well. For those who are having trouble managing the theory of a Sicilian or 1...e5 along with the KID, I would recommend the Dutch (Modern Stonewall or Leningrad) or Modern/Pirc (1...d6) as they are both solid openings which, like the KID, can also arise from 1. Nf3 and 1. c4. I especially like playing 1...f5 against the English.

IP Logged

asmund
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 08/02/03 at 03:36:45
Post Tools
Kasparov lost in the variation of the mainline King's Indian with Nc6 in the subvariation called the Bayonet Attack that starts with 9 b4. See the game between Bareev and Radjabov in the may-update for an example of this variation. Black was struggling in this variation a few years ago, but by the summer 2003, black seems to have some good answers yet again. But the Bayonet may still have triggered Kasparovs decision to quit the KID. The real reasons I believe is indicated in an interview he gave on his now obsolete www.kasparovchess.com.

1. Too much material to cope with in the Najdorf and the KID at the same time. He chose the Najdorf..

2. White has a couple of safe mainline choices if he just studies a bulk of the main theory. (For "normal" players that is not so easy..)

My comment: The point is that Kasparov and Polgar have to meet all the supergrandmasters. To all us others down below there is no problem to keep playing the KID which give a lot of attacking possibilities. Normal players don't defend that well. And Radjabov, Topalov and others keep playing the KID at the super grandmaster level. The KID is not refuted!

IP Logged

bckm

Start the day with a smile
and get it over with...

Nasty Rumor about KID being "refuted"
07/25/03 at 18:53:34
Post Tools
I have played the KID pretty much since Christ walked the earth... I have recently begun to hear it's been "refuted".  Shocked   It's at times like these that I'm glad I'm a skeptic by nature, because I find that difficult to believe.  Nonetheless, I've heard it from more than a couple of otherwise reputable sources, and Garry Kasparov and Judit Polgar seem to have stopped playing it.  Is that largely due to fashion, or is there something to it?  What is the line that "they" say "refutes" the KID?

Personally, the KID is not always a good weapon for me because I like a good fight.  When White wimps out and plays something "solid" or "unassuming", my first reaction is "how silly---FIGHT, you moron!" and my second reaction is "I'm falling asleep here at the chessboard".  Which is usually a psychological victory for my opponent.  So, I've started looking at the ...e6 stuff, but that's another topic. 

Can anyone tell me what this stuff is about the KID being "refuted", and by what?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo