Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Is the Kalashnikov good? (Read 4640 times)
Patrick

Re: Is the Kalashnikov good?
Reply #8 - 09/22/03 at 13:06:17
Post Tools
Hi again,
as I do not have much time right now, I only write something about the 8...Nge7 lines. Perhaps we can concentrate on it for now and turn to the other lines later.
In my opinion the critical move aftr 8...Nge7 is 9.c4, when black's main continuations are 9...Nd4 and 9...Nxd5. Personally, I always preferred 9...Nd4, since after 10.cxb5 Nxd5 11.exd5 Bd7 12.Be3, 12...axb5 is very dynamic. Playing through M.Carlsen-J.Nilssen, 2001, is certainly fun and so far the line has stood up to my analysis. Things get more difficult after 10.Be3, although after 10...Nxd5 11.cxd5 black has a choice between 11...Be7 or even 11...f5. I prefer 11...g6, which I found in the kalashnikov by Pinski and Aagaard. I like it very much and so far I could not find a way for white to get an advantage.
This all makes the 8...Nge7 line a lot of fun to play, if it were not for a move which is very strong in my view, but almost never played in a game: 10.Bg5! The idea is simple. Black may try to repeat moves with 10...Qa5+ 11.Bd2 Qd8, but with the bishop on d2 white can now take on b5: 12.cxb5 Nxd5 13.exd5 Bd7 14.bxa6 and black does not have the typical Qa5+ to collect the white d-pawn. Of course, black can try another idea, which he successfully applies after 9.Bg5, namely 10...h6. But in this situation with the extra moves c4 and Nd4, white can simply take on e7: 11.Bxe7! Bxe7 12.cxb5 and black's compensation is questionable. The move 10.Bg5! came to my mind a long time ago, but as nobody played it, I had no reason to change my opening. I was really excited when I found it in the Pinski/Aagaard book, too. Unfortunately they only declare it as interesting without giving further analysis.
To summarize, I am perfectly happy with the 8...Nge7 kalashnikov, if it were not for 9.c4 Nd4 10.Bg5! If someone has an antidote against it, I would be happy to learn about it. Perhaps black can try a different move order: 9...Nxd5 received a harsh treatment in G.Kasparov-J.Lautier, 2002. In that game black reacted to 10.cxd5 with Ne7 and found himself in a difficult position. Nevertheless he could have tried to reach the 9...Nd4 line by just playing 10...Nd4, and after 11.Be3 there we are. I did not look into this a lot and white may have another possibility on the 11th move, since 11.Be3 is not obligatory. Apart from that, 10.Qxd5 or even 10.exd5 may be a good alternative for white.
It would be great if this would start a discussion about the 8...Nge7 kalashnikov. It hangs by a small thread, but if this one can be fixed I think it is a very promising line for black.
Regards

IP Logged

2ofus
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #7 - 09/21/03 at 12:36:13
Post Tools
Hello Patrick!
Thx very much for ur reply. id love to see what u have in mind in terms of some moves please. For starters I have studied the Nge7 lines and like them whereas a strong IM (heading for GM) has told me he has a powerful novelty ready in the Nce7 line. Hes keeping it under wraps for the moment Sad
As to the c4 lines well I personally dont like the f5 idea unless White plays a little quietly ( as in  the lovely game Anand-Radjabov) with b3. But I am happy enough with the other lines.
Id really love to hear ur ideas.
thx in advance

IP Logged

Patrick

Reply #6 - 09/19/03 at 16:56:23
Post Tools
Having it played and analysed a lot, I think the problem with the Kalashnikov is the following. The positional line with 6.c4 is quite promising for white even after the fresh idea 8...f5. In most positions black has to sacrifice a pawn and the compensation is questionable. Nevertheless it might be possible for black to get a decent position with best play.
In my opinion 6.N1c3 is most critical. The two sidelines 8...Nf6 and 8...Nge7 are almost refuted, so there remains 8...Nce7. This is under heavy pressure, too, if I remember correctly. Perhaps there is a way for black to hold, but it is not real fun playing it against a well prepared opponent.
This is just a short overview of what I consider the theoretical verdicts at this time, but if anyone is interested I can try to underline these verdicts by some moves.

Regards

IP Logged

2ofus
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 09/14/03 at 09:54:45
Post Tools
Nice one CMassey! Very helpful.
Theres a bit of confusion though cos Im wondering about the Kalasnikov (sometimes called the "neo-Sveshnikov") which is disticnct from the Sveshnikov proper where Nf6 is played early.
Both games u mentioned are Sveshnikovs. But thx very much I appreciate the thought.
Bye

IP Logged

CMassey

Reply #4 - 09/13/03 at 21:54:18
Post Tools
I recommend you check out Kramnik-Radjabov (dortmund 2003) Although its a novelty on Radjas part, still shows all the main ideas. maybe Leko-Anand is better (Dortmund 2003). Good Luck, and any questions my handle is Christian8 on USCL.

IP Logged

2ofus
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 09/11/03 at 06:03:51
Post Tools
Thx for that AmateurDragoneer, its appreciated!
bye

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #2 - 09/10/03 at 16:38:56
Post Tools
At the GM level (not that this necessarily matters), the Kalashnikov is generally overshadowed by the Lasker-Pelikan Sicilian because the Kalashnikov allows White to erect a Maroczy bind a for this reason the Kalashnikov was viewed as being unplayable for many years. While objectively it isn't "bad", I would call it "interesting" at best. In addition, every Sicilian player loves his own variations and tends to dislike most others. The Fed (I assume you mean Federowicz) is mostly a Classical/Najdorf guy so part of his dislike for the Kalashnikov probably comes from that.

AIM  
IP Logged

2ofus
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 09/10/03 at 15:50:48
Post Tools
Cmon guys someone must have an answer?!

IP Logged

2ofus
YaBB Newbies

Is the Kalashnikov good?
08/28/03 at 09:24:55
Post Tools
Im a newbie checking this site out mainly cos Im really curious to know y The Fed hates the Kalasnikov so much??
Y?
Is this the concensus amongst GMs cos I was thinking of playing it!
Cheers

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo