Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Main Line Cambridge Springs (Read 23228 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: Main Line Cambridge Springs
Reply #10 - 06/24/05 at 08:49:31
Post Tools
Interesting thoughts. What's your recipe after [8 ...Ne4] 9 Nde4 de 10 Bh4 here? Also, what do you think of 8 ...e5 9 Nb3 (9 de Ne4) Qc7 10 Be2 dc or ...Ne4?

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #9 - 06/24/05 at 07:49:06
Post Tools
7.Nd2 Bb4 8.Qc2 Ne4! 

This move avoids most of the extensive theory in the 8…O-O main line.  After 8…O-O in the main line, white could play 6 or 7 reasonably good moves, and black would need to know how to handle all of them.  For example, 9.Bxf6, 9.Be2, 9.a3, 9.Nb3, 9.Bh4, 9.cd5, 9.Rc1, 9.Bf4, and even 9.h4 or 9.c5.  This is too much for me at my level and with my limited study time, so I go directly into a more focused and forcing continuation with 8…Ne4.  I don’t believe it is necessary for black to O-O yet.  I remember an old piece of advice from one of the greats (I forget who) that cautioned “castle if you must, but not just because you can” or something like that.  After 8.Qc2, black can castle, but that move doesn’t put any immediate pressure on white.  It feels passive, like black is simply responding to white’s moves, rather than making white respond to his.  One of the main line variations goes like this:  8.Qc2 O-O 9.Be2 dc4 10.Bxf6 Nxf6 11.Nxc4 Qc7 12.O-O ugh.  I’m not playing the Cambridge Springs to get a soft position like this!  Black probably has to retreat his bishop to e7 and white just gradually increases his advantage without having to worry about any counterplay from black.  Or, in another one of the main lines (perhaps the one you had in mind), black plays 9.Be2 e5 but white has 10.de5 Ne4 11.Ncxe4 de4 12.Rd1 Nxe5 13.O-O Bxd2 14.Qxd2 Qxd2 15.Rxd2 Be6 16.b3 f6 17.Bf4 Rad8 18.Rfd1 and here, in "The Cambridge Springs" by Krzysztof Panczyk and Jacek Ilczuk, the authors conclude "Thanks to his bishop-pair and domination over the d-file, White has a better ending."  I think that is an accurate evaluation.  I wouldn't want to play the black side in an OTB game.

In contrast with the passivity in the 8...O-O main lines, black can start immediate tactics with 8…Ne4!  Here is one likely possibility of how white’s play becomes limited and black seems to be forcing things:  9.Ncxe4 dxe4 10.Bf4 e5! (good now) 11.Bg3 O-O (this is needed now because the center is getting blasted open) 12.a3 exd4 13.exd4 Re8 14.O-O-O Bxd2+ 15.Qxd2 Qa6 16.Qb4 Nf6.  There is a lot of action that can be directed at white’s king position from this point.  A white player who would have felt comfortable playing against the normal safe main lines after 8…O-O would probably feel rattled here, thinking he had lost control of the game. 

Anyway, 8...Ne4 involves a lot less study time, I can easily remember the lines during an OTB game, and it puts pressure on white right away.  It may be that some of the 8...O-O main lines are just as good, but white has too many options along the way for me to contend with.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 06/24/05 at 00:23:45
Post Tools
In re: What line should Black play ...e5:

1d4 d5 c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Nbd7 5.Nf3 c6 6.e3 Qa5! 7.Nd2 Bb4 8.Qc2 0-0 9.Be2 e5!

This seems to me to be the main line of the Cambridge Springs.  John Nunn, in his one-volume opening book considers 8...e5 and 9..e5 to lead to unclear positions but doesn't give any games, just his analysis.  When I did a database check a few months ago, White was doing "ok" but not great with this line.  (This was about 56% which is average for White.  I usually limit my searches to games with players over 2300 FIDE and since 1993.  Both numbers are arbitrary, but generally give a good feeling for how top players handle the opening today.  I don't remember the parameters of the specific search in Chessbase.)

So, to make a short answer long, then get to the point again...

I still believe ...e5 to be the critical line for Black in the Cambridge Springs.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #7 - 06/23/05 at 22:47:01
Post Tools
7.Nd2 Bb4 =   

In what line do you advocate that black play e5 as soon as possible?  e5 is generally not good for black.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 06/23/05 at 22:19:57
Post Tools
Judging from the terrible time lag between posts on this opening, it just isn't very popular.  I've been working on a few positions with students, and Black seems to be fine after 7.cd5.  Granted, I have never played that against a very strong player, but as White, 7.Nd2 seems sensible.  I don't get great positions with it, but the better side seems to be able to win most of the time.  I know that seems to be an endorsement for the Cambridge Springs for Black.  However, if I spent hours on an offbeat opening I would hope to have a practical advantage over someone who hasn't studied it.  The Cambridge Springs seems too narrow-minded for today's game.  

Specifically, I believe that Black's best play against Nd2 is to castle first, then play ...e5 at the earliest possible moment.  The only problem is that White can figure that much out without any special study and figure out what to do over the board.  Hmmm, maybe Black needs to go look at other openings like the Hennig-Schara or the Chigorin for an offbeat opening with winning chances.
« Last Edit: 09/18/05 at 15:48:47 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #5 - 06/18/05 at 11:01:52
Post Tools
7.Nd2 is just as good as any of the 4 or 5 main variations (7.Bxf6; 7.cd5; 7.Qc2; 7.Qb3; 7.Rc1).  I play the Cambridge Springs, and don't mind seeing 7.Qb3.  I just play 7...Ne4 and black is fine.  Same response works against 7.Qc2.  A lot of these line transpose or have basic similarities.  The exchange variation is no problem.  7...ed5 is fine and almost always transposes into one of the main variations.  But, black should not  play cd5, which gives white too much freedom on the queenside and doesn't help black's c8 bishop.

IP Logged

Frankly

The power to make men
happy or to drive them
mad

Reply #4 - 06/18/05 at 10:21:19
Post Tools
Quote:
Can anybody give me any guidance about which is the best/most annoying line for Black in the Cambridge Springs after
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Nbd7 5. Nf3 c6 6. e3 Qa5 7. Nd2 (best) Bb4 8. Qc2.
Should I castle, play e5 immediately, or something else ???

Is 7. Nd2 now regarded as best? Tarrasch called it an ugly move, and much preferred Qb3. The advantage of the latter is one suspects most players of the Cambridge Springs would prefer not to see Qb3. What's happened to Qb3 since Tarrasch? I would also like to play the Cambridge Springs, but am never allowed to get there by those who much prefer the exchange variation. Hence my interest in the Tarrasch lines, since the exchange variation is not comfortable for Black (at least not when I'm Black). It's frustrating trying to get familiar with a line that you seldom get to employ.

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #3 - 06/17/05 at 19:40:37
Post Tools
After 7.Nd2 Bb4 8.Qc2 Ne4 is already slightly better for black, and white has many mistakes to avoid, perhaps too many for most players under 2000.   Here's one example: 7. Nd2 Bb4 8. Qc2 Ne4 9. Bf4 Nxc3 10. bxc3 Bxc3 11. Rc1 Bb4 12. cxd5 exd5 13. Bd3 Nf6 14. Rd1 Ne4

IP Logged

GMRuslanScherbakov
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 11/22/03 at 07:50:39
Post Tools
Hello!

The Cambridge Springs is a solid opening and there are a lot of interesting and quite playable lines for Black. After 7. Nd2 you may be satisfied with a passive position with a pair of bishop by playing d5xc4 (I played it myself many times) or try to make things more complicated by playing e6-e5 or c6-c5 after some preparations. Actually, the attempt 7. cxd5 Nxd5 8. Qd2 is supposed to be more ambitious and recently it is more popular, at least on GM-level. Besides, you should be ready to play the Exchange variation after 6. cxd5 exd5 7. e3 but at least White already cannot play the lines with Ng1-e2 since he has already developed his knight to f3.

The theory of Cambridge Springs is well developed but, compare to the more sharp opening lines, such as, for example, Botvinnik or Meran, it is not so deep and precise and so there are a lot of ideas to be discovered. I tried to cover all the lines as far as possible so you may try to rummage for ideas on the site, then we would go into details.  Smiley

All the best,
Ruslan

IP Logged

Paul123

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 11/01/03 at 19:38:11
Post Tools
I play the cambrigesprings.

Provided white doesn't chicken out and flee to the exchange var I play 8...dxc

Play could follow 9. BxN NxB 10. Bxc4 Nd5 11. Rc1 0-0 etc....

Over the board the Cambrige springs is a great opening.  It's actually sound unlike some of the off beat suspect openings club players play for shock value.

The problem is.......... white usually sees where your headed and will usually bail out with the exchange var.

All that knowledge/study time gone!

Todays most d4 players are prepared for the accepted, the declined,  or the slave etc...but the Cambrige springs is off the beaten track far enouph where most don't want to go there and try to avoid it.

Hence, I don't get to play it as much as I wish..... 

Personnaly I might change to the Lasker's var.  It seems like it might be good because you can get into it fairly quick before white knows what your doing.   It's passive....solid but passive.......sometimes the better prepared has the advantage i.e. over the board.  I'd take a passive position that I really know over a position that's full of fire and unclear....(IMO)

IP Logged

notagmyet

I heart the Caro-Kann

Main Line Cambridge Springs
09/10/03 at 09:43:48
Post Tools
Can anybody give me any guidance about which is the best/most annoying line for Black in the Cambridge Springs after
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Nbd7 5. Nf3 c6 6. e3 Qa5 7. Nd2 (best) Bb4 8. Qc2.
Should I castle, play e5 immediately, or something else ???

"When I am White, I am because I am White. When I am Black, I win because I am Bogolyubov" (?!) - Efim Bogolyubov, noted chess player and optimist.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo