Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Info on Andrew Martin's new book! (Read 5254 times)
IronMarshal

Re: Info on Andrew Martin's new book!
Reply #8 - 02/14/04 at 08:57:30
Post Tools
The book has a name change. It is now called King's Indian Battle Plans, and is 384 pages.
Amazon and B&N do not have it listed by the new name yet. Thinkers is taking advance orders. I suspect it will be out in two to three weeks.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #7 - 02/10/04 at 17:58:39
Post Tools
Release in two weeks! The book has 382 pages filled with ideas and text. It was due to go to the printer today or tomorrow. Cost $29.95. There is a companion CD that will sell for $25. Thinkers has a combination package $29.95 for the book, $9.95 for the CD. Amazon is advertizing it for $20. as a pre order item.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #6 - 01/20/04 at 19:02:51
Post Tools
Another update.
Bob Long of Thinkers Press told me that the latest holdup is that the book is 500 pages long! They are cutting out some games to get to a more publishable size (somewhere in the 300's to low 400"s I'd presume). The games they will remove will appear on the CD.  Anyway, it looks like late February.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #5 - 01/13/04 at 18:51:57
Post Tools
Mid January update on Andrew's book.
I just read the update on Thinker's Press' (Chessco) website. The book will go for a whopping $29.95, is massive with new material. Great ideas for black against the best new stuff for white. The book also will come with a CD.
Here is what Andrew said to the publisher  the other day:
"Personally,I think the book will do well... It's an odd book. Every time I think I'm writing awfully or woodenly I come across an interesting or even stunning idea that renews my interest and makes me want to read more.
Chess-wise I think it's absolutely packed with new stuff--can't remember a
book quite like it for that.... The recent games and chapters are pretty good.
Do you want me to get on with the 5 extra 2004 games for the CD ?."

They are in the graphics and cover stage.
Soon please!

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #4 - 12/08/03 at 22:23:22
Post Tools
Another update. They have added a lot of new games to Andrew Martin's book. They are alos contemplating a name change to something like "Modern King's Indian." For what its worth I like the original "Pressure Play in the King's Indian." Nothing is set in stone. The new ETA is late January early February. If they are not careful, Joe Gallagher's book will be out first. I plan to buy both, but like one sooner rather than later.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #3 - 12/06/03 at 11:39:05
Post Tools
Update on Andrew Martin's new book:

I recieved a reply on another message board about Andrew Martin's new book from Bob Long the publisher at Thinkers Press (publishing Martin's book). Here is the reply:
The wait will be worth it. We are adding a chapter called "How Not to Play The KID" and another Chapter which has only 2003 games, updating the book entirely. The update will be spread through the appropriate chapters.
Bear in mind we had 5-6 proofers of various chapters for this book and coordinating everything is important. I think you will find the book very worthwhile, but TPI (Thinkers Press Inc) is very interested in quality. We had hoped for the book to be done earlier, but there were two problems which cropped up, out of our control.
Stay with us.
Hope you check into our website at www.chessco.com for Holiday purchases. We have a lot of new and old things to offer.

Sincerely

Bob Long, publisher

It sounds good to me, but I am antsy to get it.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #2 - 10/14/03 at 18:51:39
Post Tools
Bad news!
Andrew's book is being delayed until January. I was hoping for this as a Christmas present.
The good news is that Andrew wants the extra time to read over the questions and corrections of his proofers. Andrew is a quality chess writer (I really got good use out of his Winning With the King's Indian) and this shows it.

IP Logged

Norman
YaBB Newbies

"The treasure can't be
found by men who search"

[i][/i]Re: Info on Andrew Martin's new book!
Reply #1 - 10/10/03 at 14:03:50
Post Tools
SmileyIt's good news that Andy M took some time out to write a book [OK - another book] about an opening. I think he's one of the very best communicators around when it comes to talking chess to us amateurs.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Info on Andrew Martin's new book!
09/10/03 at 19:23:06
Post Tools
I have been reading about the progress of Andrew Martin's new book and it sounds great!
The book is called Pressure Play in the King's Indian
The book has 352 pages and will sell for $29.95. I know that sounds a little pricey, but from what I have been reading about it, it sounds as though it will be worth every penny.
The book is reputed to have as many as 300 annotated games with intros to every section.
There will be 6 sections on the classicalalone! The Samisch contains a wild Samisch between Beaumont and Levitt form 1996 British National League. The game features new sac of a knight in a normally won white position that causes Levitt to think for about 90 minutes The game ended in well played draw.
The book is due out in late fall. I can't wait!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo