Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Sveshnikov 9.Nd5 line (Read 1720 times)
badknight
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Sveshnikov 9.Nd5 line
Reply #1 - 11/30/03 at 14:20:38
Post Tools
I have to admit I was inclined to disagree with you but what seemed simple is perhaps not so.  e.g
after 10.Nf6+ Bf6 11.Bf6 Qf6 you'd think black's got everything he wants (good bishop, k-safety, ease of development) but after 12.Qd5!? Bb7 13.Rd1 {o-o-o!?} Qg6 14.f3 Rd8 [I think sacs of the d pawn get black nothing unless I'm missing a tactic somewhere{always a major possibility during my analyses}] White has 15.c4(!) and this seems to disorganize black enough for white to get an edge e.g. 15...b4 16.Nc2 Qg5 17.Kf2 black may be holding the balance but he's the one who must be more careful.
  So perhaps your 10...gf6!? is the way to go?  After 11.Bh6 Rg8 12. Qd2 Be6 Isn't white in a little trouble.  After 13.o-o-o Black just takes the a pawn and lives to tell the tale.  13.f4 is met by f5!? and on 13.c3 black has 13....d5!? and the position seems to open in his favor(!!).

Can this really be so?  I used Shredder here but I just don't trust this fully for black and I wonder about the tactics.  Granted black seems to be getting the dynamics that make the Sveshnikov such a favorite among active black defenders but does the black king really live happily on e8 while the center is opened?  Interesting stuff to play around with and certainly necessary for black to have a good answer for 10.Nf6+?! at below master level where I'll bet it gets played relatively frequently.

I must also admit it is both bothersome and wonderful that 10...Bf6 seems the lesser of the two moves from black's point of view.  It just seems to have so many more plusses to 10...gf6 on first look.

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Sveshnikov 9.Nd5 line
11/10/03 at 21:13:59
Post Tools
This line just came up today in an OTB game of mine...
1.e4 c5 Nf3 Nc6 d4 cxd4 Nxd4 Nf6 Nc3 e5 Ndb5 d6 Bg5 a6 Na3 b5 Nd5 Be7 Nxf6?!...Here I played gxf6 with the reasoning that it opens a file, keeps my bishop(needed to defend that backward d-pawn), and doesn't lose any time.  I felt that it gave me a slight advantage even though the game was eventually drawn.  I didn't want to play Bxf6 though, because after Bxf6 Bxf6 Qxf6 my d-pawn would lose its best defender.  Anyone know what modern theory would suggest?

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo