Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Does anyone own "New Ideas in the Pirc Defence"? (Read 2770 times)
Grant Sidnam

Re: Does anyone own "New Ideas in the Pirc Defence
Reply #4 - 04/15/04 at 21:13:27
Post Tools
While I like Gallaghers book I still like Nunn's earlier New Ideas book which has some excellent older games and a lot of useful material.

What do people think of Gallagher's suggestion in the 5...c5 Austrian of 6. dc Qa5 7. Qd4 and 7. Qd3 Qc5 8.Be3? Against the latter I wondered if the risky looking 8...Qb4 is playable with the point that Black can meet 9. Qb5 with Nc6. Do you think Gallagher's ideas are good for White?

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 04/15/04 at 10:54:27
Post Tools
There is certainly no point hunting out anything as old as the book you mention if you have Gallagher's absolutely superb Starting Out.

I have played the Pirc for years and own several Pirc books, including Nunn/McNab's Ultimate Pirc, the Alburt/Chernin Pirc Alert that elspringer mentioned, An Explosive Opening Repertoire for Black which advocates the Pirc, and a Caissa book by Videki, but Gallagher is now usually my first port of call if I am having trouble in a particular line.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

elspringer

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #2 - 04/15/04 at 08:31:42
Post Tools
If you are looking for an opening book explaining the ideas and so, there is 'Pirc Alert' by Alburt and Chernin.

IP Logged

Mike Thomas

So many openings, so little
time!

Reply #1 - 11/21/03 at 01:48:38
Post Tools
Although I don't own the book, from what I understand "New Ideas in the Pirc" is a supplement to John Nunn's "The Complete Pirc" and is not meant to stand on its own as an opening manual. I suppose it might be of some use as a game collection though.

IP Logged

Jonathan Munnell

Does anyone own "New Ideas in the Pirc Defence"?
11/21/03 at 01:11:15
Post Tools
A friend owns "New Ideas in the Nimzo" and it is a great book.  Is this book similiar?  I understand it is what...9 years old, but all I own on the system is Starting Out:  Pirc/Modern.  I like both systems.  I play the French and 1...e5 (The Marshall Attack and I would also feel comfertable playing the Chigorin Closed and the Berlin Defence).  I am just looking for another system, different from those two systems to play.  Anyway, I do understand that many of the theoretical lines may be outdated, but I love the way the book Nimzo book is written.  Middle and endgame situations and what pieces may be usefull for both black and white in different lines.  A book based on an entire game collection since Everyman only has a Modern book.  I can get the book for like 10 dollars this week.  Would anyone recomend it?  Thanks for any and all help.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo