Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Grunfeld: yes or no??? That is the question!!! (Read 7968 times)
Glenn Flear

Re: The Grunfeld: yes or no??? That is the questio
Reply #13 - 01/12/04 at 12:00:59
Post Tools
Dear Chessfriend,

Good questions.

I don't know if the Grünfeld is really more drawish than many other openings, it's psychological. Leko's level is not ours, but the QID can also be dry if not drier than some of these Grünfeld endings! He is perhaps talking of "weaker" players who are around 2500!!

One of the drawish aspects is the fact that a number of lines involve a tactical sequence leading to mass simplification.
Frankly this doesn't seem to be a major problem for most mortals and the ultra-theoretical lines do have alternatives.
There are also those lines with ...Qa5 and ...Qxd2+ which can seem uninspiring although some of my recent updates seem to suggest that Black can create interesting play even here.

There is no "dull as dishwater exchange variation" that White can force unlike in the Slav or French. So I'm more positive about the Grünfeld.

The main problem for Grünfelders are tricky move orders from the English and Reti, but for more detail on 4 Qa4+ and other systems see Tony Kosten English column. Many other QP openings such as the QGA and Budapest also require serious thought about 1 c4 and delayed Nc3/d4 systems.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #12 - 12/05/03 at 00:52:24
Post Tools
Looks like the players of the Black pieces both started out with dubious moves, but at least this is something to work with for people who include this for White in there repertoire.  Which means this isn't a quick fix for Gruenfeld players against this (1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4) system.  However it does deserve more attention as it is clearly important and still may be the best choice for Gruenfeld players who want to steer clear of the King's Indian and other openings.  Maybe we should have started a new post though, as this doesn't seem directly related to the original question?  Also, I think reproducing small parts of books represents more of an advertisement for the book than anything else.  Perhaps that should be the topic of more posts under the "General Chess" section.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #11 - 12/04/03 at 03:39:34
Post Tools
Khalifman (in "Opening with White according to Kramnik, Book 1) gives a game Timman-Aronian, Las Vegas 1999, which goes (1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 e5) 5.Nxe5 Nxe4 6.Nxe4 Bxe5 7.d4 Bg7 8.Bg5 f6 9.Be3 0-0 10.Nc3 Nc6 11.d5 Ne7 12.Bd3 d6 13.0-0 Nf5 14.Bf4 and Khalifman gives +=

However, his main line is 7.g3(!? - Khalifman) and he gives the game Epishin-David, Montpellier 1998 (so probably too late for Burgess' deadline!): 7...Qe7 8.d4 ("White does not mind parting with a piece in order to launch an attack on the black king which lags in the centre" - Khalifman) 8...Bg7 9.Bg2 f5 10.Bg5 Qe6 11.0-0 fxe4 12.Bxe4 c6 13.d5 Qe5 ("White's attack is also strong after 13...Qd6 14.Qf3 Rf8 15.Rfe1!" - Khalifman) 14.Bxg6+ hxg6 15.Re1 +- ("Black can do nothing else but surrender" - Khalifman)

I hope I am not breaching the copyright on the book by reproducing this here!  It all looks fairly convincing to me, and I am not usually very happy to sacrifice my pieces so early!

Of course, Black is bound to be able to improve on this.  Given the course of the Epishin-David game, Black would seem to be well-advised to avoid 7...Qe7.  Also, I am not sure that Aronian's play against Timman was particularly convincing.

Anybody got anything more recent to offer?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #10 - 12/03/03 at 21:34:30
Post Tools
Actually I noticed after I brought up the variation that Burgess writes, "The critical line runs 5.Nxe5 Nxe4 6.Nxe4 Bxe5 7.d4 Bg7 which looks quite satisfactory for Black, e.g. 8.Bg5 f6, and then 9.Bh4 0-0 (Motwani) is quite good for Black, who has several threats against White's uncoordinated pieces; 9.Bf4 0-0 and again Black can be quite happy: or 9.Be3 0-0 with ideas of pushing the f-pawn."  He also notes that no one has played 5.Nxe5 and that in practice the reply has alway been 5.d4.  The book's copyright is 1998 so perhaps there has been some practice with the variation since then.  Perhaps there are games out there that show White does have some advantage.  Any games in anyone's database?

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #9 - 12/03/03 at 10:14:15
Post Tools
On consideration of this (it is a move order I tend to use with White so this caused me some consternation!), i think that 5.Nxe5 *is* critical and that White can lay claim to a small plus after 5...Nxe4 (5...Qe7 6.d4 d6 7.Nf3 Qxe4+ 8.Be3 again looks += to me) 6.Nxe4 Bxe5 7.d4 Bg7 8.Bg5! f6 9.Be3.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #8 - 11/29/03 at 20:23:30
Post Tools
My point in my above post is that after 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 e5 5.d4 (5.Nxe5 isn't supposed to be critical either.) exd4 6.Nxd4 6.Nxd4 0-0 7.Be2 Re8 8.f3, Black can play 8...c6! avoiding a normal King's Indian.  No Black hasn't gotten a Gruenfeld, but who cares if he has a simple way to a good game, which this seems to do unless White has improvements.  Burgess also mentions 5.g3 0-0 6.Bg2 but says White's setup is not very dangerous.

IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 11/28/03 at 09:07:39
Post Tools
well, thanks for all your answers!!!
Yeah it's true that the grunfeld is really theoretical, but for the moment I play the KID and it definitely is!!!
And, as I started playing chess only last year (after a good 8-years stop!) I feel that vs players rated a little higher than I am (say, around 2000) but who have a lot more experience than I do, I have a lot of trouble achieving good positions out of the opening because their positionnal mastery is better than mine...and when it starts getting complicated, I usually have a worse position, which is not a good beginning to initiate complications.....at least with the grunfeld, as it is a lot more "open" by nature, yiu have to calculate a lot, which, compared to experienced players, is where I might have a better chance....
and the Grunfeld forces you to work a lot on your endgame play and your tactical ability, which are fundamental in chess....

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 11/28/03 at 04:33:38
Post Tools
I count that as pretty much a King's Indian.  It certainly isn't a Grünfeld!

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #5 - 11/27/03 at 23:14:17
Post Tools
I also wanted to mention that in the line given by alumbrado (1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3) Black can allow White to follow through with his threat to play e4 by 3...Bg7 4.e4 and then play 4...e5 which is very playable and avoids any critical King's Indian variations (unless of course White has improvements I'm not aware of!).  This move (4...e5) has been played by the Gruenfeld player Rowson and some analysis is given in Graham Burgess' book "101 Chess Opening Surprises".  Probably the move has made into other books now as well.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #4 - 11/27/03 at 21:56:15
Post Tools
Why would anyone besides a professional want to bother learning all the theory in the Gruenfeld is my first thought whenever someone is thinking about playing this opening.  However, I know it has many "true believers'.  Perhaps you might also want to check out GM Davies video on the opening which I believe features some lines that are not well known.  That might get you up and running a lot faster and you could switch variations as time allows should you not be satified with his recommendation versus any particular system.

IP Logged

Bilbo Baggins
YaBB Newbies

A Texan Stranded in New
Jersey

Reply #3 - 11/25/03 at 08:39:34
Post Tools
Greetings All,

As I have played the Grunfeld for several years I can share my experiences.  I am a 1600 USCF player so there are few if any drawish openings.  I find the Grunfeld played very rarely at my level.  Some statistics - I play 1.d4 and 4.5% of my games are Grunfelds; as black vs 1.d4 with c4 about half play the exchange (usually higher rated) and the other half the closed e3 lines.  I also find the English and other flank openings to be challenging and require some work.  It is possible to find lines to play though. 

Your Humble Servant,

Bilbo

My reccomendation is to go through Rowson's book Undertanding the Grunfeld and see if you like the positions you get with it.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #2 - 11/25/03 at 07:21:20
Post Tools
One of the major problems with playing the Grünfeld is that it is difficult to force it against 1.Nf3 and 1.c4 move orders, so you can't use it as an all-purpose defence when White doesn't play 1.e4.

For example, after 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3, White is 'threatening' to prevent the Grünfeld by playing 4.e4.  This is fine if you are happy with a King's Indian, but otherwise you either have to play 3...c5 and go for a Symmetrical English (this will often end up as a Maroczy Bind) or dive in with 3...d5, when White has the incredibly annoying 4.Qa4+!?

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #1 - 11/24/03 at 21:56:17
Post Tools
A major consideration is that it is a very demanding tactical defense.  A common reason why many non-professionals don't play it!

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

The Grunfeld: yes or no??? That is the question!!!
11/24/03 at 02:36:05
Post Tools
Hi everyone!
I was considering adding the grunfeld to my repertoire (that is, studying it more seriously than I have ever done Smiley...) but two questions springed into my mind. That's why I am here, asking for help from Grunfeld Experts and Glenn if he's available!
Ok, here are my questions:
1. first, it is said that one problem with the grunfeld is that it contains lot of drawish lines.. I know playing black and trying to win is hard with any opening if the white player does'nt try to win, but in the Grunfeld it is supposed to be harder... I remember Peter Leko saying that one of the reason he was drawing so much of his games with black was that even against weaker player, he couldn't win some grunfeld endings (that's why he switched to the QID/Nimzo...). I guess the idea is that, in the grunfeld, even more than in other openings, the most drawish lines involves a lot of simplificcations which make it difficult to outplay your opponent after that....thus, my question, is, what do u guys think???? Have some of u already experienced these kind of problems???
2. My other questions concerns move-orders: what are the best things to do vs someone who (i), plays d4 but delay Nc3, (ii) starts Nf3, (iii) starts c4.
Well, sorry for such a long topic! Help appreciated!!!
Bye Cheesy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo