Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Repertoire for White (Read 13186 times)
Nausikaa
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Repertoire for White
Reply #18 - 12/18/04 at 19:31:45
Post Tools
The English Attack (Be3, f3, Qd2, 0-0-0 g4 , h4 etc.) can be played against most Open Sicilians (Najdorf, Scheveningen, Classical) And it is a lot of fun ...

IP Logged

JEGutman
YaBB Newbies

Psychological draw offers
are the key to success.

Reply #17 - 12/09/04 at 10:08:23
Post Tools
Top 10 reasons not to play the Smith-Morra (I'm a former Smith-Morra player)
10.  Transpositions to c3 sicilians (a lot of them)
9.   Does not avoid theory (see note 10)
8.   Can be declined in a variety of perfectly fine manners
7.  Not even good enough to have it's own ECO code.
6.  If you want to play a B21 opening might as well have some fun in the grand prix.
5.  It's worse than the grand prix and even that's nothing great.
4.  If you're opponents aren't blitzing out the opening moves or are better than 1400 your opponents won't fall into the opening traps.
3.  If you ever want to get better you're eventually going to have to learn a real line anyways (I learned this one the hard way)
2.  People will laugh at you for being the guy who plays the smith-morra.
1.  It's refuted in so many ways that you'll lose BECAUSE of it and never win because of it.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 12/08/04 at 20:21:04
Post Tools
Alumbrado's suggestions are good. The (interesting) problem of all those Sicilian varieties is, that almost everything is good and almost nothing leads to an advantage.
Against the Classical for instance, the Velimirovic Attack 6.Bc4/7.Be3/8.Qe2/9.Bb3 and 10.o-o-o is sharp, good and dangerous. But the older lines (preferred by Fischer) with White castling kingside are not worse. I'd say, look for a good manual - I still use Pachmann's Moderne Schachtheorie.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

BlunderBoy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #15 - 12/08/04 at 12:43:50
Post Tools
Thanks Alumbrado, that looks top! I shall get stuck in.

You never know though, check the Anti-Sicilians section for my posts in a few months...... Wink

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #14 - 12/08/04 at 11:03:39
Post Tools
Well, if you insist ... but I should mention that I have very rarely played Open Sicilians with White ...

Against the Dragon, play the fianchetto line 6.g3 as suggested - a quick look at the Dragons section of the forum will quickly make you realise that there is no point getting into a theoretical debate with these maniacs  Roll Eyes

Against the Najdorf you can again do worse than 6.g3, but if you want something sharper without getting bogged down in the english Attack, try 6.f4!?

Against the Scheveningen, again 6.f4, intending a 'third-rank' set up with Qf3, Bd3, Be3 and usually 0-0-0, is interesting.

Against the Classical (2...d6 and 5...Nc6 or vice versa), I think you really just have to bite the bullet and go for the Rauzer with 6.Bg5 or the Sozin with 6.Bc4 (if you go for this, then you can consider playing 6.Bc4 against the Najdorf as well ... ).

Against the Sveshnikov, I would avoid the main lines and play (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6) 7.Nd5.

Against the Taimanov and Kan, just play the same system as against the Scheveningen - it will probably transpose, but you have to look out for early ...b5 ideas and the very important lines where Black plays ....Bb4 as well.

Against the Four Knights (2...e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Nc6!?), go for 6.Nxc6 bxc6 7.e5 - it is very interesting!  It also avoids transposing to the main-line Sveshnikov's I am suggesting you avoid after 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Bf4 e5 8.Bg5 a6 etc.

I have probably missed some important variations out, but that covers most of the ground I think.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

BlunderBoy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 12/08/04 at 09:37:45
Post Tools
...I guess I was asking too much. No-one wants to give away their repertoire secrets! Wink

or maybe I was asking the wrong question?

IP Logged

BlunderBoy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 12/02/04 at 04:51:16
Post Tools
Just recently picked up this post as I am a newbie, and I found myself in a similar situation regarding picking a repertoire for the open sicilian.

Previously, when learning chess. I'd been playing into the open sicilians without knowing much of the theory as Nf3 and d4 were such natural moves. The computer usually ends up against me in a '6. Be2 Najdorf' and I scrape a draw on a good day.

Now I'm at the stage where I need to know more what I'm doing to get a good game against my opposition (I play mostly against the computer actually - sad but true) and it rates me around 1500.

I'm happy to learn a fair bit of theory if it requires it. I'd say my tactical and strategic abilities are equally 'challenged'.

The mention of the Kingside fianchetto plan sounds intriguing, but I wonder what strategies/repertoires against each of the Open Sicilian defences you folks use that you would recommend to start looking at. I've not got hold of any of the 'Beating the Sicilian' books yet.

Many thanks  Smiley

BlunderBoy

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 07/06/04 at 10:37:20
Post Tools
Of course, but by playing the Morra White has more choice after Black's other main option, 2...d5/3...d5. Also 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 b6 and d6 look suspicious, while 2.c3 b6 and 2...d6 are playable.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

morra_is_no_good

Reply #10 - 07/06/04 at 06:45:12
Post Tools
Isn't the Alapin sicilian 1.e4 c5 2.c3 ?

If so, there seems to be little point to suggest the morra and not alapin, as 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 Nf6! transposes sneakily.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 07/06/04 at 05:33:55
Post Tools
A long time ago I followed the recommendation of TopNotch. Then in one year I played only four (4) games with the Open Sicilian. So much work, for so few occasions ....

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #8 - 07/05/04 at 19:56:18
Post Tools
Thematically I think the Smith Morra Gambit would suit you best Jerry  Grin

The strategic ideas and patterns in The Smith Morra are quite similar to those of the Danish Gambit.

I suspect The Alapin would be a bit too subtle and strategically complex for you at your current level. The Grand Prix Attack may also be worth looking into, and I myself play that from time to time. In fact the Grand Prix is quite dangerous for black, especially for the Najdorf and Dragon practitioners.

Of course neither the Morra nor the Grand Prix are Open Sicilians but if you really want to begin to understand the Sicilian Labyrinth you must first familiarize yourself with all the typical sacrifices that occur in the Open Sicilian as a whole.

Since the Open Sicilian is primarily tactical in nature, it is vitally im portant to develop an intuitive feel for all the various typical sacrifices that occur in it, and to recognize when such sacrifices are likely to succeed and when they are likely to fail. If you hone these skills you will be well on your way to a deeper understanding of the Sicilian and chess in general.

The following is a brief guide of the typical Sacrifices that occur in the Sicilian, use it to further your own training:

1) Black's exchange Sac on c3. This occurs in almost all sicilians but moreso in The Dragon and to a lesser extent Najdorf and Scheveningen.

2) Nf5 for White - Often this sac is simply to deflect the e6 pawn from the control of d5 so as to plunk a Knight there.

3) Bxb5 for White - Usually this combo nets 3 pawns for the piece and works best if Black's king is caught in the centre. This sac used to occur quite frequently in The Sveshinikov Sicilian and is still a good place to begin your studies of this type of sacrifice.

4) Nd5 for White - The idea here is simply to entice black to Open the efile towards his King. For this sac to work the Black king usually has to be stuck on e8 and a white rook on e1. This idea is a common theme in the Bg5 Najdorf lines. This Sacrfice features heavily in the games of GM Thomas Luther.

5) Ne6 for White - This happens fairly often in the Sozin Variation when Black meets f5 with e5 and white instead of retreating plonks his Knight into e6. Once again White's compensation lies in Black's uncastled King and the ability to use the open f file and other open lines for attack.

6) Be6 for White - This Sac usually works best when it canbe followed up with Nxe6 and Black's Queen stands on c7 or d8 and the Bishop stands on e7 and King on e8.            

7) Nxe6 for White - This is usually seen when it canbe followed by Bxe6 with the idea to keep the King in the Centre for a long time. This Sac is particualry effective when Black weakens himself further on the light squares with for e.g. h6.

Those are some of the typical Sicilian Sacrifices that one must master if one is to be successful in this the most complex of all the chess openings.

May the Force be with you.

Top  Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 07/05/04 at 08:02:36
Post Tools
I think 1.e4 c5 2.d3 to answer d5 with 3.Nd2 is more interesting than 2.g3 d5.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

David Flude

: Repertoire for White
Reply #6 - 07/04/04 at 00:14:32
Post Tools
I have been experimenting lately with playing

1.e4 c5
2. g3 against any opponent rated 200+ points above me. The point is that they do not wish to draw.

The book line is 2...d5 3.exd Qxd5 and now both Qf3
and Nf3 are very drawish and nothing like normal sicilian positions.

Many players have played 2..d6 against me and found it hard to play against the big clamp where white puts  pawns on h2 g3 f4 e4 d3 c3 b2 a2. The advantages over the closed sicilian is that black has nothing to aim at on the queenside, the black knight is kept out of d4 and white can slowly build up a kingside attack.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #5 - 12/14/03 at 15:26:48
Post Tools
Smith-Morra is nice if you like gambits but I never thought much of it. Grand Prix Attack present the chance for some very sharp chess while the Closed Sicilian is also an aggressive opening.

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #4 - 12/14/03 at 14:01:39
Post Tools
Since you're obviously not afraid of gambits, perhaps the Smith-Morra would suit you (playable against all Sicilians).  1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 c3, the only highly respected gambit against the Sicilian.

Or perhaps the Wing Gambit 1.e4 c5 2.b4...

Of course if you really want to play an Open Sicilian but avoid theory...not too much we can do for you.  However, the English attack (corresponding Yugoslav in the Dragon) seems to have a common plan of attack throughout all the 2. ... d6 Sicilians (unfortunately it doesn't pertain to 2. ... Nc6 Sicilians). 

Or perhaps Bb5 lines would suit you...1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ and 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5. 

Then again perhaps the Prins variation is more to your liking... 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.f3, which unfortunately is poor against 2. ... Nc6 variations. 

Or perhaps 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 Nc6 5.Bb5 is more suitable to your style.   

See what the problem with choosing lines is?  And these are all supposed theory-avoiders...

Hope these give you some options...
NeX iRae

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo