Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Edition of "Dynamic English" (Read 19712 times)
bckm

Start the day with a smile
and get it over with...

Re: New Edition of "Dynamic English"
Reply #12 - 08/23/05 at 22:15:09
Post Tools
Maybe, but you're  a god...  Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #11 - 08/23/05 at 10:56:02
Post Tools
Quote:
It is such a good book that most other English books pale by comparison

Really?  I rather like Carsten Hansen's books and also the fairly recent Raetsky/Chetverik book on the 1...e5 lines.  And of course there are the old Watson books (he updated the Symmetrical one at some point, much of it completely new because of the explosion in Hedgehog theory apart from anything else, but of course that is now out of date too), and the series by Bagirov.  All excellent in their time and certainly much more detailed.

Not that I don't like Tony's book, you understand - far from it, I have used it quite a bit myself at times.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

bckm

Start the day with a smile
and get it over with...

Reply #10 - 08/23/05 at 10:44:57
Post Tools
I no longer play the English (I need to play an opening that forces me to develop - hence 1.e4), but when I did, Dynamic English was my main book.  It's one fault (and it's minor, and I know about profit margins in chessbook publishing) is that it isn't always in-depth enough for me.  It is such a good book that most other English books pale by comparison, so it would be great if there was more "meat" to it.  But again, I understand about the fine line that authors and publishers have to walk when determining the length of a book.  Dynamic English is a great book, and I think a new edition would sell very well...just like Watson's Play the French series...

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #9 - 08/23/05 at 08:16:55
Post Tools
Quote:
Hmmm! I don't think that people will be reading The Dynamic English in 100 years time! Roll Eyes

Sure! they will be reading Winning with the Philidor!

Wink

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #8 - 04/13/04 at 07:18:57
Post Tools
Well, at least two members of my club team swear by it ... so who knows ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #7 - 04/07/04 at 10:39:28
Post Tools
Hmmm! I don't think that people will be reading The Dynamic English in 100 years time! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

notagmyet

I heart the Caro-Kann

Reply #6 - 03/27/04 at 15:31:05
Post Tools
Quote:
Tony, Tony, Tony...

It's the not money, it's the chance at immortality.  Shakespeare, Poe, Voltaire, .... Kosten!   Wink

lol  Grin

"When I am White, I am because I am White. When I am Black, I win because I am Bogolyubov" (?!) - Efim Bogolyubov, noted chess player and optimist.

IP Logged

never1b4
YaBB Newbies

Don't tell my wife I'm
on Chesspub!

Reply #5 - 03/23/04 at 21:31:51
Post Tools
Tony, Tony, Tony...

It's the not money, it's the chance at immortality.  Shakespeare, Poe, Voltaire, .... Kosten!   Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 02/25/04 at 06:41:26
Post Tools
Actually, publishers are always asking me to write something for them, and I can pretty much choose the subject myself. However, to be frank, I don't like writing books, it is a lot of work for not very much money!
I am very happy to do another video/DVD but perhaps you should suggest this idea to Murray Chandler at bad Bishop/Gambit!

IP Logged

garrubal
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 02/09/04 at 21:49:20
Post Tools
Well, I'm glad to hear that the book is selling well. I know I bought it because I read a favorable review by IM Silman.

However, why must authors wait for publishers to ask them to write a book? Can't it be the other way around, the author contacting the publishers about writing a book?

If there is one area that probably needs updating is the chapter vs. the English defence. In the book it's only 2 pages. Yet, in the chesspublishing database, 1 c4 b6 has a tremendous score for black. Not that I face it all the time as White, but it's something to think about.

Quote:
The publishers haven't mentioned anything to me, yet! I guess they will think about it when this edition runs out of steam, but it is still selling well. Smiley

IP Logged

Kiwi
YaBB Newbies

"Am l no a bonny fighter?"
[Kidnapped]

Reply #2 - 01/11/04 at 23:05:21
Post Tools
Tony - How about a Bad Bishop video/DVD on 1.c4 based on your book "The Dynamic English"? Just an idea.  Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 01/11/04 at 12:40:28
Post Tools
The publishers haven't mentioned anything to me, yet! I guess they will think about it when this edition runs out of steam, but it is still selling well. Smiley

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

New Edition of "Dynamic English"
01/10/04 at 23:26:05
Post Tools
I know it's been at least hinted that a new edition of "The Dynamic English" might be written.  Is this already in the works, or are there plans sometime soon in the future for a new edition?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo