Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Edition of "Dynamic English" (Read 30670 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: New Edition of "Dynamic English"
Reply #42 - 05/25/22 at 12:36:26
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 05/23/22 at 08:57:55:
My two main concerns (in advance) would be ..... and basically, the e5-Nc6-f5 complex (trying to double my pawns with Bb4 and Bxc3).

As Black I'd fear 1.c4 e5 2.g3 Nc6 3.Nc3 f5 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.d4 e4 6.Nh4 most.
So I prefer 1.c4 e5 2.g3 f5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 d6.

Another way to take the sting out of ...Bb4 is answering ...f5 with d2-d3, intentding x...Bb4 y.Bd2.
Eg 1.c4 e5 2.g3 Nc6 3.Bg2 f5 3.d3 Nf6 4.Nc3 Bb4 5.Bd2.
You should take a look at move order issues in the Sicilian Grand Prix Attack and especially notice the differences. Black being a tempo down far from always benefits White. Of special interest to you is 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 d6 4.Nf3 g6 5.Bb5 Bd7.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #41 - 05/23/22 at 08:57:55
Post Tools
Hi, someone here ready to use this old (but very good!) book as my main reference in my repertoire (occasionally, I'd have to say). The few times I am going to use 1.c4 in important games it's not worth to get a massive "up-to-date" repertoire source. This one is perfect because it's direct, easy and to the point.

Any major change I would have to consider? At my level of opposition (mainly <2000 fide OTB) I don't expect great refutations, I only want playable games knowing plans, typical structures, pawn breaks to accomplish, etc. I basically want to use the 1.c4 e5 part (part 1 if I am not mistaken) and some ideas in the part 3 (other responses but 1...e5 and 1....c5).

Right now I am using it exclusively in blitz (all my games start now with 1.c4), and getting good positions. I am in training mode Smiley

My two main concerns (in advance) would be the c6 systems (2...c6 / 3...c6) and, mainly and basically, the e5-Nc6-f5 complex (trying to double my pawns with Bb4 and Bxc3). Happily for me, not seen in any single game. Very few 1.c4 e5 games, btw. Lots of 1.c4 Nf6 and 1.c4 c6.

thx !

IP Logged

MicahSmith
YaBB Newbies

Reply #40 - 12/31/21 at 16:50:08
Post Tools
So Tony, any chance of a new edition of "The Dynamic English"?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #39 - 12/30/21 at 14:13:12
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 12/28/21 at 13:17:35:
I imagine Tony's home desk is made out of copies of The Dynamic English. They're just everywhere.  Grin

Well, I do have quite a few copies, but only of the original printing where a couple of pages were in the wrong order, I don't know why I kept them. They immediately destroyed this print run and corrected the mistake back in 1999.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #38 - 12/30/21 at 09:48:40
Post Tools
MicahSmith wrote on 12/30/21 at 02:18:49:
My guess is they are re-printing the books that sold best but how many people are going to buy these extremely out-of-date opening books now?

If The Cambridge Springs is being re-printed I will definitely buy it.

IP Logged

MicahSmith
YaBB Newbies

Reply #37 - 12/30/21 at 02:18:49
Post Tools
MW wrote on 12/27/21 at 00:16:54:
Great book in its day, but I'm not sure why you would re-print an opening book 7-8 years old without a major up-date. No doubt some marketing guru will provide the answer, because I don't get it!

The book is actually over 20 years old (it came out in 1999)! They are also re-printing Win With the London System and Win with the Stonewall Dutch, two other very out-of-date opening books. My guess is they are re-printing the books that sold best but how many people are going to buy these extremely out-of-date opening books now?

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 12/29/21 at 11:02:23
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 12/28/21 at 00:13:11:
TonyRo wrote on 12/27/21 at 01:53:42:
[...]
I actually also really think opening books are getting too big and unwieldy, and that the small format of The Dynamic English is due for a comeback!

I couldn't agree more Tony. The trend towards encyclopedic coverage is an unwelcome (and unhealthy) one. The Dynamic English is just a perfect size and format for me.

I felt much the same about the first edition of Donaldson's small book "A Strategic Opening Repertoire" and was very disappointed to see the second edition had been so bulked out with games that IMHO added little to the reader's understanding (but I suppose it was still a reasonably small book by modern standards).

Definitely - they've started putting so much detail in, and while its nice to know that it exists you've got no chance of remembering it/will basically never see it in practice.

Can mostly replicate it with engines anyway/even punch minor holes of course. Must be what sells, I presume.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #35 - 12/28/21 at 13:17:35
Post Tools
I imagine Tony's home desk is made out of copies of The Dynamic English. They're just everywhere.  Grin

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #34 - 12/28/21 at 11:29:53
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 12/21/21 at 13:10:00:
This and four other Gambit titles have been reissued in print format and are available from Amazon.

I'll have to look at my original contract, I might be due some free copies! Smiley

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #33 - 12/28/21 at 00:13:11
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 12/27/21 at 01:53:42:
[...]
I actually also really think opening books are getting too big and unwieldy, and that the small format of The Dynamic English is due for a comeback!

I couldn't agree more Tony. The trend towards encyclopedic coverage is an unwelcome (and unhealthy) one. The Dynamic English is just a perfect size and format for me.

I felt much the same about the first edition of Donaldson's small book "A Strategic Opening Repertoire" and was very disappointed to see the second edition had been so bulked out with games that IMHO added little to the reader's understanding (but I suppose it was still a reasonably small book by modern standards).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #32 - 12/27/21 at 01:53:42
Post Tools
I have owned 3 copies and gave away two to other players who wanted to know where I learned how to play the English!

I'd volunteer to do a joint effort with Tony for an updated edition - I am not sure there's an opening book as close to my heart or as pivotal to my development as a player. The world could use a second edition! Grin

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 12/27/21 at 01:38:46
Post Tools
Without a major up-date something of a commercial risk I would have thought .....if it still sells after 8 years without an up-date imagine how well it would do with an up-date.

I still have my original copy so I won't be tempted!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #30 - 12/27/21 at 01:01:34
Post Tools
Because when people continue to buy copies, Gambit continues to make money?  Grin

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 12/27/21 at 00:16:54
Post Tools
Great book in its day, but I'm not sure why you would re-print an opening book 7-8 years old without a major up-date. No doubt some marketing guru will provide the answer, because I don't get it!

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #28 - 12/21/21 at 13:10:00
Post Tools
This and four other Gambit titles have been reissued in print format and are available from Amazon.
http://www.gambitbooks.com/

Seems to be a reprint!? At least no phantasy prices anymore …

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo