Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Good Book on the Lopez (and Glenn Flear's new book (Read 4698 times)
John Cox

Re: Good Book on the Lopez (and Glenn Flear's new
Reply #8 - 07/05/04 at 07:46:17
Post Tools
I have been telling Byron Jacobs at Everyman he ought to produce such a book for years.

I don't agree with the last poster at all: off the top of my head, 4 Bxc6, 5 d3, 5 Nc3, 5 Qe2, 5 Bxc6, 5 d4, 6 Bxc6, 6 d4, the Worrall, and various anti-Marshall ideas on move 8 have all had significant GM followings at one time or another, although I will concede that there have never been significant deviations from 7 Bb3. Sure you can do it with Chessbase and so on, but a book would be easier.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #7 - 07/05/04 at 05:43:56
Post Tools
I've done a bit of searching Feb and it appears that no such book exists. Most of the books on offbeat Spanish lines (including Flear's book, "Offbeat Spanish") cover deviations from the black side. However, that doesn't mean you are in trouble. I find it hard to believe that between Nigel Davies updates and something like NCO or ECO that you would have trouble finding good lines against these deviations. In addition, there aren't too many deviations (at any rate, good ones) in the Spanish. Other than the Worrall (which is covered in GM Davies' latest update) and the Exchange, I can't think of too much else. The Center Attack with d4 is a sharp gambit but I thought the latest assessment was that it is fine for black. Other than that, the only significant deviation I can think of would be (in the Main Line). 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3 O-O 9. d4 (instead of the normal 9. h3).

AIM  
IP Logged

feb

Reply #6 - 07/04/04 at 15:12:02
Post Tools
I am looking for a recent book on the Black side of the Ruy Lopez (Spanish) which provides detailed coverage of all White's early deviations from the main line (such as the exchange lines, centre attack with d4, Worrall attack and so on) so that I could build up a Black repertoire. Such a book would nicely complement Glenn Flear's new book too. Any suggestions?

(I have Taulbut's Understanding the Spanish, but it is more an overview of the diverse systems within the Spanish.)

IP Logged

Dondo
YaBB Newbies

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

Reply #5 - 06/19/04 at 11:51:14
Post Tools
The Flear book is quite good.  It deals with up through 8. c3 0-0, plus the Anti-marshall lines.  The coverage is thorough, and Glenn certianly has added his own analysis and suggestions.  it seems a bit tilted towards Black, but not decidedly so.

The White According to Anand books are sensational.  Not as thorough as Flear as they are repertoire, but what they do have is amazing.  Khalifmann is getting quite good at this bit.   There is a lot of really outstanding explanation of ideas, plans etc. as well as just top notch analysis.  i am eagerly awaiting the Sicilian volume, should be interesting.

IP Logged

Unlucky
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 04/23/04 at 03:16:46
Post Tools
For a quick account of themes in unfamiliar (to me!) Lopez positions, I still refer sometimes to Shaun Taulbut's Understanding the Spanish. It's old and the coverage is superficial, but it includes a nice selection of a few lightly annotated key games in each variation. Might be a good complement to a Starting Out-style coverage. You can get it very cheap too - there are worse ways to invest $5!

When I was learning openings from scratch, I loved Imre Konig's Chess from Morphy to Botvinnik - it traces the historical development of four openings from the 19th century through to the 1950s. Are there any books out there now with a similar philosophy? I find that even very good modern openings books fail to give a feel for why certain lines aren't played anymore. There's not necessarily a refutation to a lot of variations, it's just that experience suggests that white usually gets a slight edge, or that black usually gets a completely level game, or that the game usually peters out to a draw, etc.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 04/21/04 at 02:16:44
Post Tools
Well, the title of Flear's book suggests to me that it will cover everything after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3.
That's a lot of ground to cover if, as I assume, he is trying to look at the possibilities for both sides.

The Closed Lopez is one of those openings where a "+=" evaluation at the end of move 30 seems to mean nothing at all to me - and I won't have a clue why a very similar looking position on the next page is assessed as "="  Undecided

Maybe the Everyman format of complete games will give me a bit more insight - although I must say I usually prefer variation trees.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #2 - 04/20/04 at 20:02:35
Post Tools
My copy of OFWATA vol. 2 just arrived and I'm just starting to delve through the maze of theoretical variaitions presented. However, despite the plethora of variations, Khalifman's expanations are very clear on both the opening themes, middlegame techniques and maneuvers, and common endgame themes. It's a book that seems like rather than making a choice between giving variations with little explanations or giving lots of explanations with no variations, Khalifman decided to (and I think he did successfully) have both.

Haven't heard anything new on Glenn Flear's book, supposedly it will be out by the end of May so I'm hoping that someone will review it pretty soon. If anyone knows anything about it let me know please.

AIM  
IP Logged

Patrick

Reply #1 - 01/16/04 at 10:24:52
Post Tools
I can really recommend Anand vol. 2. It is a fantastic repertoire book. I was very much impressed by the amount as well as the detail of its coverage of the Ruy Lopez although I did not have the time yet to compare the suggestions given there with other sources.
Patrick

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Good Book on the Lopez (and Glenn Flear's new book
01/16/04 at 08:51:38
Post Tools
I have played the Lopez for about a year with overall success and based it mostly on lines I looked up in NCO or something like that. Is there a good book out there that covers the variations AND themes of the Ruy Lopez. I looked at Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez and Starting Out: The Ruy Lopez and found them to be limited in their coverage because they are, primarily, meant to be repertoire books. While this may be what some people are looking for, I was hoping for something with a wider range of coverage. I considered Opening for White According to Anand Vol. 2 which covers all lines after 3...a6 and since I already bought volume 1, I figured I should probably pick up the second volume.

I also noticed that Glenn Flear is supposed to be releasing a new book called "The Ruy Lopez: Main Line" within the next few months and I was wondering if Glenn could tell us what lines that book will be covering.

Are there any other books on the Lopez that people think are really good?

Thanks,

Mitch

AIM  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo