Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) the ruy lopez for black (Read 21043 times)
IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Re: the ruy lopez for black
Reply #30 - 06/16/05 at 14:12:19
Post Tools
I would recommend Bird's Defence, too, against the Ruy Lopez - It is, in my opinion, heavily underestimated.

And I would back my words with variations, too Smiley

"Chess you don't learn, chess you understand!" (V. Korchnoi)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #29 - 04/11/04 at 13:23:09
Post Tools
The Paris variation is dealt with in Kassiber magazine nos 14 and 15.

I played it for a year and never lost in over the board play. It usually gains about fifteen minutes on the clock.
However the following game was most unpleasant. An improvement is needed.

[Event "IECG-CUP, Preliminary, CP-2003-p-00050"]
[Site "IECG"]
[Date "2003.09.28"]
[Round "-"]
[White "Doblas Francisco Javier, Rubio"]
[Black "Flude, David"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O b5 6.Bb3 Bc5
7.Re1( watch the transposition) Ng4 8.Rf1 Nf6 9.c3 d5 10.exd5 Nxd5 11.Nxe5 Nxe5
12.d4 O-O 13.dxe5 Bb7 14.Nd2 Nf4 15.Nf3 Qxd1 16.Rxd1 Nh3+
17.gxh3 Bxf3 18.Rd7 Rae8 19.Bf4 Bb6 20.Re1 Bc6 21.Rd2 h6
22.h4 Re7 23.Kf1 Rfe8 24.h5 Kf8 25.Bc2 Bf3 26.Bd1 Bc6
27.Bg4 a5 28.Bg3 b4 29.f4 bxc3 30.bxc3 1-0

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #28 - 03/25/04 at 17:52:57
Post Tools
Craig Evans seems to be in a gloomy, pessimistic mood. I can recommend lots of Spielmann games with real hot blooded chess.
Against the Bishop's Opening: 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 c6!? with the intention d5.
Against the Vienna: 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.g3 Bc5 4.Bg2 Nc6 5.Nge2 d6 6.o-o (6.Na4) h5!? though from an objective point of view 3...d5 4.exd5 Nxd5 5.Bg2 Nxc3 6.bxc3 Bd6 is best.
The most dynamic way to meet the Scotch is 4...Qh4 of course, but I am not convinced of it's strength.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #27 - 03/25/04 at 14:35:41
Post Tools
Against the vienna/bishops opening, 2...Nf6 is really the only move for someone looking to be the aggressor as black. Of course, if 3.d3 (in the bishops opening) or 3.g3 (in the vienna) then you're resigned to a boringish position. I play the latvian if I know someone plays the scotch, otherwise I play the ...Bc5 lines, as it's the best chance of active play.

Real chess stopped being played with the end of the Morphy era in my opinion Cheesy

Regards,
Craig  Grin

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #26 - 03/25/04 at 05:08:00
Post Tools
one more question: what do u play vs the bishop opening and the vienna??? because I don't like Emms' recommendations inb "play the open games"...
and vs the scotch???
I am looking mainly for dynamic systems...

IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #25 - 03/24/04 at 15:37:26
Post Tools
hey Craig you seem to be a heck of an agressor  Wink
and judging by other posts, also with white!!!
if I start to play 1...e5, I should try my defences vs you!!!

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #24 - 03/24/04 at 06:18:08
Post Tools
Well I play the 3.Nxe5 Nc6 lines of the latvian, so I get to avoid all that unpleasantness... while it may not be sound, it's much harder to refute OTB than the 3...Qf6 lines, which give white a pleasant choice of ways to comfortable advantage.
Still, the edge that white gets in the main lines is playable against if you know what you're doing, the latvian is a playable opening. I prefer to live on the edge a little!

Regards,
Craig Grin

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #23 - 03/23/04 at 15:09:28
Post Tools
well, by what I know, even if Kosten's bokk on the latvian is good, he still finds that black can't equalize in most lines (above all the 4.Nc4 7.d3 line...)
do the latvian aficionados have some different opinions???

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #22 - 03/23/04 at 10:15:31
Post Tools

Yes, I'm guessing he'll go with the in vogue ...Nf6 lines. It's about time for an up-to-date account of the schliemann anyway.

I'll be more intrigued to see what he's recommending against the KG, if he's looking for an attacking position with black then ...g5 almost has to be the move.

Regards,
Craig  Grin

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #21 - 03/23/04 at 09:41:25
Post Tools
On the subject of the Schliemann, I understand that Batsford will shortly be publishing "A Dynamic Black Opening Repertoire" by Chris Baker (an English IM I think), in which he will advocate the Schliemann:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/071348828X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_3/202-454...

Should be interesting to see what he has to offer against 4.Nc3...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #20 - 03/23/04 at 09:34:59
Post Tools
Quote:
Throughout the years, "agressive" lines for Black have slowly faded out of popularity: The Elephant Gambit, Latvian Gambit, Schliemann, Archangel, and Zaitsev lines have all faded in popularity over the last decade.

As an aggressor, possibly more so with the black pieces than the white ones, I am inclined to view the waning popularity of some of these lines as just fashion. While the elephant has indeed become all but extinct, I was under the impression that the Latvian, partly due to Mr Kosten's books and partly due to the work of Elburg, Grivianis and other afficionados, was a growing opening as people started to see it wasn't unsound, or at least not completely unplayable. With the schliemann, I certainly view it as a matter of fashion and not that white is guaranteed a large advantage. Certainly 4.Nc3 seems the only way of gaining the advantage (any prepared black player should be able to survive the other lines and at least equalise, imho), and even then I think while white's position is better, it is no better than it is in a main line Moller or Breyer, for example, and black has plenty of opportunity for counterplay.

I dont think it is time to write off the Schliemann just yet I'm afraid, in decades to come it may well find favour once again in the higher echelons.

As for Krugman's line, after 7.Nxe5 I dont see the point in black's bold thrust. How would you continue as black in this position?

Regards,
Craig  Grin

IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #19 - 03/23/04 at 05:11:03
Post Tools
thx amateurdragoneer for your input!
Anyway, I was wondering whether somebody knew this variation that someone talked about in another topic

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6 .
4. Ba4 Nf6
5. 0-0 Bc5
6. c3 6....d5

it is called the Paris variation, and doesn't seem to be mentionned in Khalifman's book so it could be a good secret weapon...

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #18 - 03/21/04 at 17:06:55
Post Tools
I agree with Glen. 9. Nbd2 is an excellent way to avoid the Dilworth and the Dilworth is precisely the reason why many players, including Kasparov, have switched to 9. Nbd2 as their main weapon against the Open Ruy Lopez. With regard to the Schliemann, I think it's main success over the years has been to the fact that it, like it's close relative, the Latvian Gambit, is generally a surprise for white players. However, a well-prepared player will score very highly with White against the Schliemann and I firmly believe that white should get the upper hand. My general feeling is that Black usually cannot get very agressive early on if he plays 1...e5 because the symmetrical structure favors white since he is ahead in development and, because he moves first, he is effectively a tempo up. Throughout the years, "agressive" lines for Black have slowly faded out of popularity: The Elephant Gambit, Latvian Gambit, Schliemann, Archangel, and Zaitsev lines have all faded in popularity over the last decade. So long as White knows the main lines and sticks with them. This does not mean that 1...e5 is a bad opening, far from it. It is just that it seems to be an opening balanced between the solid structure of, for example, the Caro-Kann and the unbalanced positions of the Sicilian and that Black must walk a fine line between solid, positonal play and active play and that if he leans too much to either side, he will be squeezed positonally because of his passivity, or crushed for playing a premature attack. However, if Black is able to walk the tight-rope, then he can often get a strong attack if white overextends is is not cautious enough or can get a positional advantage if White becomes too passive. The only problem is that I feel that White has a bit more flexibility in his approaches while Black is pretty much obliged to focus his attention on preventing White's attacking/positional ambitions early on and that is not something everybody can do. It is probably best suited for those with positional yet active styles, such as Karpov and Anand who, coincidentally, have also wielded the Caro-Kann which may indicate a similarity in the way that black must be able to play the opening phase of the game. If you fit that mold, then 1...e5 is probably an excellent choice. If you are a very calm, quiet, positional player, then you probably want to lean more towards a Caro-Kann while if you are more aggressive you should probably seek a French or Sicilian. With regard to specific variations of the Ruy Lopez, I would have to say that the most solid ones are probably the Berlin, Open Variation, Chigorin Variation, and Marshall are probably Black's most solid options.

As for Khalifman's evaluations, having read through OFWATA Vol. 1 and skimmed through Vol. 2, I have to say that Khalifman's evaluations, though he supports them well, are probably a tad bit biased (as evaluations usually are in repertoire books). And even the Ruy Lopez does lead to a slight white advantage in EVERY line (which I find difficult to believe is possible for an opening that has been around for 400+ years), I agree with alumbrado that Khalifman offers many interesting suggestions that don't really have a lot of practical outings at the top levels of play and that even if a line is +=, it is definitely not easy for White to prove a CLEAR advantage, let alone win the game (having played the Sicilian Dragon from both sides of the board for many years, I can certainly testify to this!!!!).

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #17 - 03/21/04 at 12:29:22
Post Tools
I think a good way to avoid the Dilworth is the popular Zaitsev idea (after 9.Nbd2 Nc5 10.c3 d4) 11.Ng5!?.

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #16 - 03/21/04 at 10:55:03
Post Tools

I would suggest that, besides the schliemann, the Dilworth attack is worth looking at. The Dilworth is characterised by 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Nxe4 6.d4 b5 7.Bb3 d5 8.dxe5 Be6 9.c3 Bc5 10.Nbd2 f6 11.Bc2 Nxf2!?. It leads to an unbalanced position, where black scores quite well. If he learns the theory available, and how to play the endgames that arise with correct play from white, then he will gain gift points over the board from unrepared white players. Very few ways for white to avoid these positions offer white any edge as far as I'm aware, such as 6.Re1, 9.Qe2, etc., although undoubtedly black has to be prepared for them.

Regards,
Craig  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo