Latest Updates:
Normal Topic QGD 4 e3 (Read 2450 times)
Peter Kitchen

Re: QGD 4 e3
Reply #6 - 04/24/04 at 06:52:00
Post Tools
Yeah, loads of choice. I don't think there is much wrong with 4...c5, as it gives black a lot of space and a possibl development lead. Its down to personal choice.

I can only see defensive solid players using 4. e3.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 04/19/04 at 19:55:26
Post Tools
By now it must have become clear why 4.e3 does not get much attention. Black has an abundance of choice.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/04 at 18:27:52
Post Tools
It seems to me that the suggested ...Be7,O-O and ...b6 would most like be another transposition.  This time to a e3 Queen's Indian.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 04/18/04 at 21:28:07
Post Tools
My proposal is to skip the first two steps of BilboBaggins' thinking process and look for a reasonable setup at once. Do not try to find a refutation which probably is not possible; that is a waste of time.
The transpositions pointed out by Glenn Snow are OK. Rather sound seems also simply Be7, o-o, b6 etc.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bilbo Baggins
YaBB Newbies

A Texan Stranded in New
Jersey

Reply #2 - 04/10/04 at 00:20:09
Post Tools
Greetings,

When I meet a "non theory" move OTB the first thing I think about is "how dumb can he/she be, not to know the first 30 moves of my opening".  How could he possibly leave my book so soon and make me actually think about the opening.  I wanted to rip off my first 20 moves and impress him with my knowledge of theory.  He just wants to play real chess.  Angry  Then I realize that I am just as dumb as my opponent because I don't know what to do against it.   Embarrassed   If you subscribe to this site and are a C player like myself, you know what I am talking about.

Then I calm my self down and go to work.  What squares am I fighting for in my opening and how did my opponent not meet the needs of the opening.  Usually the passive moves allow a break on the center or greater control of a key square.  I then just start using this as the basis for finding my moves.

Great, now that I know what to do.  But what are the main ideas in my opening and what are the key squares.  Embarrassed

IMHO 4.e3 does not help White control the d5 square and permits the ...c5 break much earlier than normal.  I believe your instincts are right.  If you normally play the QGD you have something better than normal.  4...Bb4 helps control d5,  4...c5 breaks on his center as he doesn't have the normal pressure on d5 but it allows White to isolate your d-pawn but you get it in earlier than normal in a QGD.  You can get squares for you queen which can be a problem in the main lines of the QGD like the Tartakower.

I realize my pearls of wisdom are worth the same as the prize money of a  C Player in the Open section of the World Open.  Maybe some of our learned collegues can help us out with enlightenment.  The honorable Mr Snow has shed some light on this.

Your Humble Servant

Bilbo

A Texan stranded in New Jersey

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/08/04 at 21:46:01
Post Tools
Keep in mind it's next to impossible to even cover every reasonable option in any opening.  After 4.e3 I think this will usually transpose to another opening.  4..dxc4 to the QGA, 4...Bb4 to the Nimzo-Indian, 4...c6 to the Slav.  I think Black's best is probably your suggested 4...c5, which will probably transpose to the Semi-Tarrasch if White plays Nf3 soon.

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

QGD 4 e3
04/08/04 at 21:23:20
Post Tools
1 d4 d5 2 c4 e6 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 e3

What is to be recommended here?  Perhaps a Tarrasch setup with c5 is the best option? 

I'm disappointed that this move is not covered by the e-books.  Sad  Not everyone on here is a master who can easily refute moves like this positionally...Please lend a hand.

Thanks,
NeX iRae

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo