Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Has anyone seen Jude Acers book on the Italian. (Read 7605 times)
tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Re: Has anyone seen Jude Acers book on the Italian
Reply #5 - 09/29/04 at 14:53:06
Post Tools
@kamiel

You write you haven´t anylysed very deep and i must admit that´s true either for my first post Sad

It´right, the line with 8.Qh5 Qd7 9.Nd5 N8e7 10.Nf6+ gxf6 11.Qxf7+ Kd8 12.Qxf6 Re8 13.Bf7 Qg4 14.f3 Qxg2 15.0-0-0 Rf8 16.Rhg1 may really be dangerous for black  Undecided

But then i noticed 12...Qe8! what was totally missed by Acer/Laven and what should slightly favour black after 13.Bh6 (13.Bf7 Rf8 ) Rg8! 14.Bf7 (14.Bxg8 Qxg8 with Be6/Kd7 to follow) Rg6! when the two minor pieces are stronger than the rook as white will not be able to get two connected passed pawns  Tongue

Then again i saw 10.Nxc7+! (there seems to be a typo in the book, it´s not clear if Acer/Laven advocate this move) Qxc7 11.Qxf7+ Kd8 12.Qxg7 with dangerous attack (12...Ng6!?)  ???

Earlier there´s the possibiliy of 9...Na5 (not mentioned by Acer/Laven!). White has enough compensation after 10.Be2 N8e7 11.Qg5 Kf8 or 10...c6 11.Nc3 b5!? but it´s not clear in my opinion if he has really more  ???

Remember: it was NOT my intention to rescue the 6...Nc6 7.Nc3 d6 variation for black, to defend it or to show an advantage for black. It would not bother me if you can show compensation or even a slight white advantage in each subvariation (though i do not believe in the last). - The point is that in this free and prepublished part of their book the authors wanted to give a crushing win for white ("waterloo"). And in my opinion they absolutely failed to do this. The analysis is poor, not the Miami Variation. Of course maybe also that   Grin

IP Logged

Panda

Reply #4 - 09/28/04 at 04:23:55
Post Tools

Here's a link to the book's page, with a sample page. Silman reviewed it recently and seemed to find it a very enjoyable read but perhaps not what a theory junkie might be lookin for!

http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/view-item?item=1693&27195234-5799aaa

IP Logged

kamiel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 09/26/04 at 07:44:13
Post Tools
I really don't see why you would prefer black at the end of that line. First of all in an otb game I would think it's almost impossible for black to defend this. But even in correspondence, what line gives advantage to black after 16.Rhg1 Qh3 (Qxh2 and best black can hope for is draw) 17.Qg7 Rxf7 18.Qxf7 Qe6 19.Qxh7 .
I didn't really analyse this very deep but my gut feeling says that white can't possibly be worse at the end of your line, and probably even has a winning advantage due to the big problems for black to develop his pieces and his poor king safety
« Last Edit: 09/26/04 at 16:24:16 by kamiel »  

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #2 - 09/22/04 at 15:32:09
Post Tools
Personally I attack with Caro-Kann against 1.e4  Grin but from time to time I enjoy to analyse the good old open games.
Once I was surfing around in the web and somehow without intention I came to www.italiangambit.com . Reading the Italian Game to be a mistake from the black side of view I was immediately rolling over the floor laughing and crying ... Grin
You can download a pdf-file of pages 53-58 concerning to the "Miami Variation" 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.d4 Bxd4 5.Nxd4 Nxd4 6.Be3 and now 6...Nc6 7.Nc3 d6 what is obviously winning for white according to the authors.
Look at the position, white´s a pawn down (not unusual for a gambit) but has more space and his minor pieces developed. But black has no real weakness, a strongpoint e5 and natural ways to develop. Maybe white has compensation for half a pawn and in a blitz game an unprepared black player can suffer but in tournament chess with time to defend precisely the gambit should be incorrect. It´s not surprising that white starts "two-move-tactics" with 8.Qh5 Qd7 (! the best move hidden in the annotations) 9.Nd5 N8e7 10.Nf6+ gxf6 11.Qxf7+ (Counting checks white would lead) Kd8 12.Qxf6 Re8 12.Bf7 "with advantage". They do not write WHO has the advantage, I would certainly prefer black after 12.Bf7 Qg4! 13.f3! Qxg2 14.0-0-0 Rf8! when white´s attack seems dangerous but in fact is quite harmless. - I have not read any further ...
As probably this downloadable part may of course not contain black´s strongest reply to the italian gambit there´s nothing more to say.

tracke

Before buying opening books anyone should read John Nunn´s "Secrets of Practical Chess" and especially the chapter about offbeat opening books !

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 04/16/04 at 05:56:55
Post Tools
According to a review I have read, White hardly has compensation after 6...Ne6.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Teyko

Gambits Dammit

Has anyone seen Jude Acers book on the Italian.
04/16/04 at 02:17:54
Post Tools
I am interested to know if the Italian gambit is worthwhile in terms of a plausible system for e4 players?

1. e4 e52.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.d4 Bxd4 5. Nxd4 Nxd4 6. Be3

any thoughts?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo