Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Anti-Anti-Sicilian: 1...g6! (Read 4127 times)
AmateurDragoneer

Re: The Anti-Anti-Sicilian: 1...g6!
Reply #2 - 04/30/04 at 14:09:43
Post Tools
I would urge people to reply here if their lines relate to positions that would be most likely to arise after 1. e4 c5 (such as Alapin lines, etc.). Given that we are not talkin about either an Accelerated Dragon or a normal dragon and that there is already a topic in the Dragon forum on the Hyperaccelerated Dragon, all "anti-sicilian" lines should be posted here with all other lines (with the exception of the hyperaccelerated dragon 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6) should be posted under the 1. e4 forum since this the opening will probably be classified as a modern defense.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: The Anti-Anti-Sicilian: 1...g6!
Reply #1 - 04/30/04 at 10:24:33
Post Tools
OK, you've posted it twice, once here and once in the Dragons forum, and I'm still not sure it doesn't belong in the "1.e4 ..." section!  Undecided

I have replied in the Dragons forum - can I suggest that others do likewise, otherwise this will get out of control quite rapidly ...   Sad

Thanks!

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

micmus
YaBB Newbies

Bad breath wins by force.

The Anti-Anti-Sicilian: 1...g6!
04/30/04 at 09:57:27
Post Tools
Before I get shouted and/or beaten down for posting in the wrong forum, let me discuss this idea.  For a while now I have been using 1...c5 and 2...g6 against 1.e4 with pretty good success.  This has cut down on Rossolimo's, various Bb5 systems and has taken a lot of the punch out of c3, Smith-Morra, 3.b4 wing-gambit and other anti-sicilian systems as 2...g6 is very flexible.  If white continues down the open sicilian line i normally head for an accelerated dragon (as 4.Qxd4 lines dont seem that strong to me at least).

Now,  I have thought about maybe even taking it a step further with 1...g6.  This would cut out the 2.b3 and 2.b4 systems out as well, ****AND**** tempt a lot of white GPA, closed sicilian etc. players into setting up a e4-d4 setup they may not be used to.  Now after 1. e4 g6 2. d4 Bg7 (intending 3...c5) next move)  3. Nc3 is the critical and most common reply.
A lot of you may know about the following idea which has deterred black players from doing this:  1. e4 g6 2. d4 Bg7 3. Nc3 c5!? 4. dxc5 (really only critical test) Qa5 5. Bd2 Qxc5 6. Nd5 Nf6? (or something)7. Bb4 Qc6 8. Bb5! winning a miniature that has been played countless times.  So black must make many contortions after 4.dxc5 just to get a playable game.  My idea (well not mine of course) is 4...Bxc3+ (a la Dzindzi Indian) which gives white tripled pawns on c-file and black can usually regain the pawn after 5.bxc3 Qa5.  This in exchange for the Dark-squared bishop and slight long-term k-side weakness.  Some games have been played in this line for example by FM Eric Schiller (yes, I know, I know...) as black and has beaten some stronger opponents as you can check in databases. 

The logic of this is pretty simple: if after 5...Qa5 black gets a good or at least playable game, then he is likely to be much more prepared with the opening + middlegame because this in effect would be a main line in his entire repetoire.  White on the other hand may be playing the position for the first time in his/her life especially if he/she is salivating about the above miniature.  The practical aspects of this are obvious...to take typical closed sicilian player to a position like this is an accomplishment if it can be pulled off.

Of course, "What if 3.Nc3 is not played?" "Wont I be stuck with a Modern defense?"  Well, for example I will say 1. e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3. c3 d5! is good and leads to normal structures in the c3 sicilian at minimum.  Also 3.Nf3 c5 is a Hyper-Accelerated Dragon so I think most will agree that black gets a good game or at least normal after anything besides 3.Nc3.  What about 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3. nc3 c5 4. d5 ? well this is not critical and i doublt a lot of e4 players will play it, but you have a lot of tricky lines I like for black in theses semi-benoni structures that have a bunch of e6 and b5 ideas/tricks.  Also I play these structures as black along with benko.

So my question to you guys is: Do you have any experience in the above lines and what do you think about them?  I really would like to hear opininons!

Mike

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo