Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Open Ruy Lopez (Read 199907 times)
barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Re: Open Ruy Lopez
Reply #106 - 02/27/13 at 01:58:57
Post Tools
Blue Flaneur wrote on 02/27/13 at 00:26:19:
I'm pretty sure the Dilworth loses a piece. I don't why it would be included in a repertoire made for GMs.

Really, it loses a piece?

hahahahaha

with regard to the riga, i have no problem if he not mention it, but he did, gave it short shrift and not even the best lines against it, which would only take another paragraph .. and that makes little sense

and when i am ready for a deeper review i will do it on my own terms if at all, not yours and i do not owe you or anybody else here anything

now _____ off

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #105 - 02/27/13 at 01:28:03
Post Tools
Blue Flaneur wrote on 02/27/13 at 00:26:19:
I'm pretty sure the Dilworth loses a piece. I don't why it would be included in a repertoire made for GMs.

Well, the GM who wrote the book has played it 7 out of 8 times he has reached that position.

That said, I don't see the rationale for assigning a repertoire book a B- because it covers different lines from the ones you were hoping for.

IP Logged

Blue Flaneur
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #104 - 02/27/13 at 00:32:30
Post Tools
And I had no idea what the Riga variation was until I looked it up a minute ago. Why would he need to talk about that variation?

It's a repertoire book for GMs not a primer for all the variations of the open. If you could list the mistakes in the analysis then it would be much more helpful then your silly complaining and the -B grade.

IP Logged

Blue Flaneur
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #103 - 02/27/13 at 00:26:19
Post Tools

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #102 - 02/26/13 at 18:28:12
Post Tools
Mild disappointment in this book.  Barely even mentions Riga variation (only one quick blurb in chapter on center attack) and omission of even mentioning Dilworth attack seems remiss seeing as how the author used it frequently and has not used his recommended repertoire move.

Grade: B-

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #101 - 02/26/13 at 15:27:56
Post Tools
Yeah, in my database Mikhalevski played 11...Nxf2 seven times and 11...f5 once. I was kinda hoping for the Dilworth. There is some discussion of it in Flear's "Open Ruy Lopez" from 2000.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #100 - 02/26/13 at 14:58:36
Post Tools
Yeah, for long time, I had that book in my collection.  A little beige-colored thing, in German.  In those days, 9.Qe2 was considered the big threat to the Open, and the stregth of 9.Nbd2 was unknown.

But 11...Bf5 is a bit of a departure from modern practice, it would seem.  The last time this was popular was in the mid-90s. The most recent games I have are Joergensen - Hjorth ICCF 2012; Dragun - Kolosowski, Warsaw 2012; and Quesada Perez - Milos, Mende 2009.  Also, I don't discover any games with Michailevski as Black.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #99 - 02/25/13 at 15:57:58
Post Tools
Sounds like Mikhalevski is "kickin' it old school" or some such -- for one thing, 9. c3 Bc5 10. Nbd2 0-0 11. Bc2 Bf5 was recommended by Larsen in a little repertoire-type book he wrote in the 1960s.

IP Logged

browniesbane
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #98 - 02/25/13 at 04:43:28
Post Tools
Just received GR 13. I noticed that in the c3 lines, it recommends Bc5 and Bf5 over  Bc5/f5 or the Dillworth. Was this a surprise?

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #97 - 01/08/13 at 21:44:01
Post Tools
i really look forward to this work and hope he has some new and strong ideas for black in the 7th chapter on sidelines when white plays the allegedly sub-optimal 6.Re1

i have found this line to be more difficult for me as black (otb) than most previous books suggest and against strong play find it almost impossible to ever generate any active play for black

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #96 - 01/08/13 at 19:47:51
Post Tools

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #95 - 11/08/12 at 15:29:23
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 02/25/12 at 10:17:48:
Quote:
Are you sure? I can't find anything about this book on their website...

Look on the blog, summer/autumn on the second board.  Wink

The blog now says January 2013.
It seems to me that there hasn't been coverage of the Open Ruy for a very long time

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #94 - 03/15/12 at 09:37:47
Post Tools
Grin So true. I do not know anymore what is autumn because there are only two seasons, winter and summer in Europe. In south of Europe now March is summer! Spring went to Arab nations. I guess October is a good start to look for the book in the traditional four seasons calendar, the only problem is that it is not valid anymore.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #93 - 03/11/12 at 15:53:41
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 03/11/12 at 04:27:50:
Quote:

I am still trying to understand what that exactly means. Summer and autumn are subjective time frames. In Canada it can snow in April, which is considered spring but can feel like winter. In the UK the temperatures and climate are basically like winter for all 12 months.

And then of course in the Southern Hemisphere, summer/autumn probably ranges from November to April.

Ah, so true:)
But being mired in such a depressing place yields great poetry and music tho.

They are in Scotland. So, imagine that they mean in Scotland.
Weather-wise,  it lashes down all the time, is bleak, cloudy and grey, and a generally dreary existence up there throughout the calendar year.
Popular pastimes up there: necking irn-bru, hating English and mainlining heroin.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #92 - 03/11/12 at 04:27:50
Post Tools
Quote:

I am still trying to understand what that exactly means. Summer and autumn are subjective time frames. In Canada it can snow in April, which is considered spring but can feel like winter. In the UK the temperatures and climate are basically like winter for all 12 months.

And then of course in the Southern Hemisphere, summer/autumn probably ranges from November to April.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo