Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Open Ruy Lopez (Read 199917 times)
dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Re: Open Ruy Lopez
Reply #121 - 02/28/13 at 13:50:14
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 02/28/13 at 12:16:33:
The problem is that the Dilworth can be "avoided" on the way to the main tabiya which would mean including either another mainline reply or playing that worse endgame after 9. Nbd2 Bc5

He already gets all the way up to 9.c3 Bc5 10.Nbd2 O-O 11.Bc2, where 11...Nxf2 would be the Dilworth, so he's already dealt with all the lines that would avoid it anyway.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #120 - 02/28/13 at 13:07:28
Post Tools
I think the repitoire books thing is down to what sells.

There are actually quite a few basically complete surveys getting written but many of them - Scherbakov's noteboom book say - are getting presented as repitoire books.

That's probably down to managing expectations. A repitoire book can safely cut out entire lines when they're not really theoretically relevant. A 'complete' book? You'd get endless, violent, complaints..... Never mind that it'd probably be more useful Smiley

On another note, excellent that they no doubt are, surely the impact of the GM repitoire books on specifically GM level chess is inherently limited?

Ideas of course but the detail is such an obvious, public, target.... Once you get a level of two below that and the amount of time for prep decreases its another matter.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #119 - 02/28/13 at 12:21:47
Post Tools
Igor wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:46:22:
Quote:
I see no reason why chess book publishers should not have views and express them about reviews (both those with names affixed and those hiding behind aliases). I am surprised that this offends.

In fact on their blog there is an article every week starting with: "Usually we don't talk about other publishers / reviewers...  BUT..."  Grin

I giggled when he wrote something along the lines of my book got 6/6 but Avrukh's only got 5/6 and it's better then my book. Some real passive aggressiveness going on there.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #118 - 02/28/13 at 12:16:33
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:11:27:
Schaakhamster wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:04:44:
I'm not offended, just seems time consuming which could be spend on producing more books  Grin

True, true! Am surprised the amount of time on that blog responding to the likes of 'Gilchrist is a legend' about precisely when the postman is coming.
Would probably help them if folk stopped pestering and just let 'em get on with it.

I was disappointed that the Dilworth wasn't included. Their right of course, I just wanted to learn about it, a line that has intrigued me. Ah well.

The problem is that the Dilworth can be "avoided" on the way to the main tabiya which would mean including either another mainline reply or playing that worse endgame after 9. Nbd2 Bc5

IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #117 - 02/28/13 at 08:46:22
Post Tools
Quote:
I see no reason why chess book publishers should not have views and express them about reviews (both those with names affixed and those hiding behind aliases). I am surprised that this offends.

In fact on their blog there is an article every week starting with: "Usually we don't talk about other publishers / reviewers...  BUT..."  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #116 - 02/28/13 at 08:11:27
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:04:44:
Bibs wrote on 02/28/13 at 04:34:31:
Schaakhamster wrote on 02/27/13 at 20:23:58:
just an innocent question: is rebuking criticism on quality chess books in your job description? I have seen you having a go at several reviews on the Quality Chess blog. Doesn't seem a very efficient use of time. You can't please everyone.

Disagreeing is not "rebuking".
Somebody here erroneously suggested that GMs take no note of QC texts. Aagaard disagreed and provided multiple examples. Aside from those stated I know of another top 10 player who is familiar with QC work from a personal conversation.
Readers here have views, writers have views, publishers have views. All express politely, respectfully and all is well.

(And no, I have nothing to do with QC at all. I last went to Scotland 28 years ago. It rained every day.)

I'm not offended, just seems time consuming which could be spend on producing more books  Grin

True, true! Am surprised the amount of time on that blog responding to the likes of 'Gilchrist is a legend' about precisely when the postman is coming.
Would probably help them if folk stopped pestering and just let 'em get on with it.

I was disappointed that the Dilworth wasn't included. Their right of course, I just wanted to learn about it, a line that has intrigued me. Ah well.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #115 - 02/28/13 at 08:04:44
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 02/28/13 at 04:34:31:
just an innocent question: is rebuking criticism on quality chess books in your job description? I have seen you having a go at several reviews on the Quality Chess blog. Doesn't seem a very efficient use of time. You can't please everyone.

Somebody here erroneously suggested that GMs take no note of QC texts. Aagaard disagreed and provided multiple examples. Aside from those stated I know of another top 10 player who is familiar with QC work from a personal conversation.
Readers here have views, writers have views, publishers have views. All express politely, respectfully and all is well.

(And no, I have nothing to do with QC at all. I last went to Scotland 28 years ago. It rained every day.)

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #114 - 02/28/13 at 04:34:31
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard wrote on 02/27/13 at 10:54:09:
barnaby wrote on 02/27/13 at 02:01:01:
[quote author=5052555A340 link=1084036321/105#105 date=1361928483][quote author=7E7069797A707D7279696E1C0 link=1084036321/103#103 date=1361924779]

last thing, it is called a gm repertoire but the majority of people buying it will be well below that level ... keep it real, will ya?

gms these days aint waiting for books and then playing those repertoires at high levels

please ... the title is to make people that are club to tournament players feel better that they are playing lines the big boys and girls play

It is rather ludicrous to think that grandmasters are not heavily influenced by the Grandmaster Repertoire series. Gelfand took up 6…Nbd7 in the Najdorf because of Ftacniks’ book, probably more than hundred GMs have taken on Avrukh’s lines from GM1&2, with Yusupov coining the term: “I Avrukhed my opponent”. Ponomariov – Wang Yue in the Slav is a common example of how this happens. Ponomariov won two pawns, but sadly messed up in the technical phase.
Kramnik has openly expressed being inspired by Marin’s books, McShane played Marin’s repertoire for about a year, winning among others against Magnus Carlsen. Anand used one of the lines in his match with Topalov, but gave it his own twist, after Peter Heine Nielsen got infatuated with the books. Delchev used a novelty from Nikos and my book on the Tarrasch against Bacrot.
I really could go on, but I think I have made my main point. Obviously there is a caveat: Although books by Marin and Avrukh on main lines will influence grandmaster practice more than a book on the Open Spanish, Modern Benoni or Tarrasch, it is clear that these books are interesting to grandmasters of the highest level.

IP Logged

usual-suspect
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #113 - 02/27/13 at 22:08:48
Post Tools
My impression is that The Open Spanish isn't as good as its sister GMxx books. Maybe it's because of limitations in the opening itself. Anyway, the author states it avoids the Spanish torture but most mainlines are just equal or worse endings as far as I understand browsing through. Ok, it is life of chess, but I simply hoped for more... I haven't played or analyzed anything really in the OS for a long time so I was just happy to have something to read.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #112 - 02/27/13 at 20:23:58
Post Tools
[quote author=5052555A340 link=1084036321/105#105 date=1361928483][quote author=7E7069797A707D7279696E1C0 link=1084036321/103#103 date=1361924779]

last thing, it is called a gm repertoire but the majority of people buying it will be well below that level ... keep it real, will ya?

gms these days aint waiting for books and then playing those repertoires at high levels

please ... the title is to make people that are club to tournament players feel better that they are playing lines the big boys and girls play

It is rather ludicrous to think that grandmasters are not heavily influenced by the Grandmaster Repertoire series. Gelfand took up 6…Nbd7 in the Najdorf because of Ftacniks’ book, probably more than hundred GMs have taken on Avrukh’s lines from GM1&2, with Yusupov coining the term: “I Avrukhed my opponent”. Ponomariov – Wang Yue in the Slav is a common example of how this happens. Ponomariov won two pawns, but sadly messed up in the technical phase.
Kramnik has openly expressed being inspired by Marin’s books, McShane played Marin’s repertoire for about a year, winning among others against Magnus Carlsen. Anand used one of the lines in his match with Topalov, but gave it his own twist, after Peter Heine Nielsen got infatuated with the books. Delchev used a novelty from Nikos and my book on the Tarrasch against Bacrot.
I really could go on, but I think I have made my main point. Obviously there is a caveat: Although books by Marin and Avrukh on main lines will influence grandmaster practice more than a book on the Open Spanish, Modern Benoni or Tarrasch, it is clear that these books are interesting to grandmasters of the highest level.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #111 - 02/27/13 at 19:42:18
Post Tools

I wonder why today we have all these grandmaster repertoire series while 15 years ago I remember we had mostly openingbooks covering 1 specific opening in detail. Is it because writing a complete book about an opening has become impossible with the growing amount of theory? Is it fashion? Is it because readers are more interested in getting a quick playable repertoire instead of knowing the last detail in a long forgotten sideline?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #110 - 02/27/13 at 14:26:01
Post Tools
I did not assign it a B- minus for that reason.

I have not actually divulged any reason yet for why i gave it that rating

Then what was the point of posting "B-" in the first place?

was actually going to but now will not

Oh, dear me.  Now I shall never know.

But the Riga is not good chess; there is no need to mention it in a repertoire book for the Black pieces.  As for the Dilworth, it's a repertoire book, you know?  Not a compendium.

They call it a GM repertoire book because it is of sufficient breadth, depth and precision to form the basis of a top-level repertoire in the given opening. 

@Flaneur Bleu: The Dilworth does not lose a piece.  Consult your sources, or see here:

https://ruylopez.chesstheory.org/p.php?z=pt&a=16838&b=0&c=16838&d=0

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #109 - 02/27/13 at 13:35:42
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/27/13 at 01:28:03:
That said, I don't see the rationale for assigning a repertoire book a B- because it covers different lines from the ones you were hoping for.

I have not actually divulged any reason yet for why i gave it that rating,

OK. Your comment consisted of two criticisms and a grade so I assumed they were related.

IP Logged

Jacob Aagaard

Quality Chess says hi!

Reply #108 - 02/27/13 at 10:54:09
Post Tools

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #107 - 02/27/13 at 02:01:01
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/27/13 at 01:28:03:
Blue Flaneur wrote on 02/27/13 at 00:26:19:
I'm pretty sure the Dilworth loses a piece. I don't why it would be included in a repertoire made for GMs.

Well, the GM who wrote the book has played it 7 out of 8 times he has reached that position.

That said, I don't see the rationale for assigning a repertoire book a B- because it covers different lines from the ones you were hoping for.

I have not actually divulged any reason yet for why i gave it that rating, was actually going to but now will not since you people so hyper sensitive about banal stuff.

sheesh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo