Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Open Ruy Lopez (Read 199637 times)
chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Open Ruy Lopez
Reply #136 - 01/04/14 at 05:21:21
Post Tools
Are there any model games for black on open lopez line ???

IP Logged

chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #135 - 12/17/13 at 17:35:21
Post Tools
I think black get problems in this line okies the game was drawn (at last by black)...but white could have won the games as white was a wgm...but she have not seen it as it was a blitz game Cheesy

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #134 - 09/09/13 at 17:05:48
Post Tools
NeverGiveUp wrote on 09/08/13 at 15:12:23:
So coming back to this tread, what do you guys think about the current theoretical stand of the open Ruy? Has Mr Mikhalevsky made a difference?

I'm sure that some of White's partisans have carefully reviewed Michalevski's work and found what they suppose to be improvements, and that only a few of these, if any, have yet appeared on the board.  So it is too soon to tell what Michalevski's contribution has been.  His book is quite highly regarded, though, and is a must-have for anyone who wants to play this enterprising system.

I think the general opinion of the Open Defense is that it's a reasonable approach for those who like to play with active pieces in open positions, but that it perhaps incurs more risk of outright disadvantage than the best versions of Closed or, for that matter, than the Marshall.  There is no outright refutation that is known (for a long time it was thought that Kasparov's gambit was that), so it is certainly playable.

I think that in amateur chess the Open is a really excellent choice, since one will encounter many feeble Whites who will rapidly cede the initiative.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

NeverGiveUp

Never despair in a lost
position

Reply #133 - 09/08/13 at 15:12:23
Post Tools
So coming back to this tread, what do you guys think about the current theoretical stand of the open Ruy? Has Mr Mikhalevsky made a difference?

IP Logged

Benoniac

Don`t become what you
hate

Reply #132 - 07/30/13 at 19:36:40
Post Tools
gwnn wrote on 07/30/13 at 08:43:52:
ErictheRed wrote on 07/29/13 at 22:06:45:
Sorry if I missed it, but will there be a companion volume published for other 1...e5 lines?

Aagaard has said so, yes. Everything up to and including the Exchange Spanish.

Really? I missed this. With the same author or what? Do you know?

Ben

People dont live or die, people just float
B Dylan

IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #131 - 07/30/13 at 08:43:52
Post Tools
Sorry if I missed it, but will there be a companion volume published for other 1...e5 lines?

Aagaard has said so, yes. Everything up to and including the Exchange Spanish. Sometimes books get published very shortly after they get announced (like the Tromp book or the Pump up your rating book recently).

IP Logged

Benoniac

Don`t become what you
hate

Reply #130 - 07/29/13 at 22:09:27
Post Tools

Seen nothing of it so far.

Ben

People dont live or die, people just float
B Dylan

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #129 - 07/29/13 at 22:06:45
Post Tools

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #128 - 07/11/13 at 15:55:03
Post Tools
Glenn Flear gave this book a splendid review in the latest NIC Yearbook.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

NeverGiveUp

Never despair in a lost
position

Reply #127 - 07/11/13 at 08:31:50
Post Tools
I must say I was seriously mistaken about Mikhalevsky's book. In first instance I had similar misgivings as others here, I thought (a) this gut isn't a very good writer (b) I don't like his choice of variations - he chooses boring variations where black is struggling for equality. Boy was I wrong!
Now going through the book in detail. Yes he does not go for the Dilworth but have you guys looked at his alternative, the "solid" Bf5? Solid from the perspective that black equalizes, but otherwise razor-sharp lines all over the place where black is doing fine and white can easily get in trouble.
The book is packed with theoretical novelties.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #126 - 03/11/13 at 14:54:46
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 03/11/13 at 12:25:18:
Igor wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:46:22:
Quote:
I see no reason why chess book publishers should not have views and express them about reviews (both those with names affixed and those hiding behind aliases). I am surprised that this offends.

In fact on their blog there is an article every week starting with: "Usually we don't talk about other publishers / reviewers...  BUT..."  Grin

Is this a joke? Probably Smiley

There have been, say 3-4 articles about reviews in 4 years and this is "once a week"? When there are countless reviews for each book?

Anyway, the Dilworth Attack is a fun line and we can discuss about it if you want (wasn't there a recent CBM article by Marin on this, or am i wrong?), but i guess that the author had his reasons not to recommend this one. By the way, i find the critical Rook endgames very instructive and i used this material in one of my lectures and it was great. Rook endgames of this kind has always been a weak spot in my play (and i suspect this this is the same for a lot of club players), so i guess that in practical club play a well-prepared Black player might even have the better practical chances!

touchy touchy, those QC writers  Grin

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #125 - 03/11/13 at 12:25:18
Post Tools
Igor wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:46:22:
Quote:
I see no reason why chess book publishers should not have views and express them about reviews (both those with names affixed and those hiding behind aliases). I am surprised that this offends.

In fact on their blog there is an article every week starting with: "Usually we don't talk about other publishers / reviewers...  BUT..."  Grin

Is this a joke? Probably Smiley

There have been, say 3-4 articles about reviews in 4 years and this is "once a week"? When there are countless reviews for each book?

Anyway, the Dilworth Attack is a fun line and we can discuss about it if you want (wasn't there a recent CBM article by Marin on this, or am i wrong?), but i guess that the author had his reasons not to recommend this one. By the way, i find the critical Rook endgames very instructive and i used this material in one of my lectures and it was great. Rook endgames of this kind has always been a weak spot in my play (and i suspect this this is the same for a lot of club players), so i guess that in practical club play a well-prepared Black player might even have the better practical chances!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #124 - 03/02/13 at 13:46:41
Post Tools
In my data base, White scores "normally," about 54%, after 11...Nxf2 12.Rxf2 f6 13.exf6 Bxf2+ 14.Kxf2 Qxf6 15.Nf1!.  But he scores somewhat better than normal, 59%, after 11...Bf5. 

Even so, I assume Mikailevski found some good ideas for Black after 11...Bf5.  That Dilworth ending would have been a tedious subject for a repertoire book. 

Not being a great technician (ha ha), I usually try to win with a few more pieces on the board.  Not everyone wants to go from the opening to the ending.  Also, I think that that Dilworth ending is easier to win with the minor pieces than with the rook.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #123 - 02/28/13 at 14:45:56
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 02/28/13 at 13:07:28:
I think the repitoire books thing is down to what sells.

There are actually quite a few basically complete surveys getting written but many of them - Scherbakov's noteboom book say - are getting presented as repitoire books.

That's probably down to managing expectations. A repitoire book can safely cut out entire lines when they're not really theoretically relevant. A 'complete' book? You'd get endless, violent, complaints..... Never mind that it'd probably be more useful Smiley

On another note, excellent that they no doubt are, surely the impact of the GM repitoire books on specifically GM level chess is inherently limited?

Ideas of course but the detail is such an obvious, public, target.... Once you get a level of two below that and the amount of time for prep decreases its another matter.

I got some everyman books from around 2000. They are fraction in size compared to present chess books and cover far more ground. One thing I do regret is that repertoire books tend to narrow the scope down to a few moves. Sometimes I prefer to have some options even if it means playing some slightly less optimal move.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #122 - 02/28/13 at 14:39:31
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 02/28/13 at 13:50:14:
Schaakhamster wrote on 02/28/13 at 12:16:33:
The problem is that the Dilworth can be "avoided" on the way to the main tabiya which would mean including either another mainline reply or playing that worse endgame after 9. Nbd2 Bc5

He already gets all the way up to 9.c3 Bc5 10.Nbd2 O-O 11.Bc2, where 11...Nxf2 would be the Dilworth, so he's already dealt with all the lines that would avoid it anyway.

A bit curious. But perhaps he felt something else was more suitable. The Dilworth is a very interesting variation but is also pretty complex. Perhaps he felt that playing it is way easier then getting theoretical satisfying positions. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo