Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Tarrasch defense or.......? (Read 4311 times)
Max
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Tarrasch defense or.......?
Reply #9 - 05/22/04 at 02:38:43
Post Tools
Thank you for your help.
I decided to play 1. d4 cf6 2. c4 e6 and then the Nimzo after 3. Cc3 and QGD after 3. Cf3.

Bye Smiley

IP Logged

Peter Kitchen

Reply #8 - 05/18/04 at 06:59:27
Post Tools
Alumbrado, I must agree that Sadler's book is excellent, and I would also recommend it to everyone. I only wish I had it at uni with me now.

Regarding move orders, I have always played Nf6 before Be7 without really thinking about it. My only real reason is that in nearly all such formations the knight belongs on f6, while the bishop can go to e7, b4 or even d6. Keeps white guessing.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 05/18/04 at 06:12:03
Post Tools
I will not deny the importance of understanding structures, especially in the Exchange Variation of the QGD. But move order plays it's role too.
1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Be7 5.e3 o-o 6.Nf3 h6 7.Bh4 b6 is what Max wants.
With this move order, the exchange leads to the early liberation of the queen's bishop. Especially if White plays an early Nf3, Black gets equality immediately with Bf5.
If Black wants to snatch a risky pawn, c6 and Qb6 is possible. Another independent idea is an early Na6 to hinder White's standard set-up Bd3/Qc2.
After 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Be7 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bf4!? White can start some messy tactics.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/04 at 04:29:25
Post Tools
I made the point that you could avoid the exchange variation with 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 (after 3.Nf3 the exchange variation isn't thought to be as dangerous) only by not playing the QGD with 3...d5.  Instead 3...Bb4 would be the most solid alternative.  But considering what others have said about the exchange variation you will probably want to limit your study time and just play the QGD against everything.  In which case i think I would prefer the 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 move order but that may be a matter of taste.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #5 - 05/18/04 at 04:15:36
Post Tools
The bad news is, there is no good way to avoid the Exchange Variation unless you are preapred to play the Semi-Tarrasch, with ...Nxd5, which I think it is fair to say is under something of a cloud these days (although I am not sure if there is any particularly good reason for this)  Undecided

The good news is, there is no reason to fear the Exchange QGD with Black.  As Peter Kitchen says, it is all about understanding the structures.  At which point I would gently steer you in the direction of Matthew Sadler's Queen's Gambit Declined, one of the finest opening books I have ever seen  Smiley

The fact that it is a few years old now makes no difference whatever.  If you are playing the QGD with White or Black, you will benefit enormously from a careful study of this book  Wink

Come to think of it, even if you have opened 1.e4 all your life and play the King's Indian with black, you will still benefit enormously from a careful study of this book!  8)

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Max
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 05/18/04 at 03:35:52
Post Tools
Thanx for your answers.
I decided to play the Tartakower variation, 'cause it's also close to my gaming stile.
For what regards the move order 1. d4 cf6 2. c4 e6 i i didn't understand why it could avoid the exchange variation of QGD.
Is there a way to avoid it?
And what do you think about Petrosjan move 3.......be7?

thanx

bye

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #3 - 05/09/04 at 16:12:00
Post Tools
The most similar in strategical themes to the Caro-Kann would be the pure Slav, due to the similar pawn structures.  However, you're correct in thinking a lot of it can be tactical.

It's probably best for you to choose some form of the Semi-Slav, definitely not the Botvinnik though.  (As you said, you prefer closed strategical, and that's about as tactical as you can get.)  Try out the Moscow variation in a few blitz games and see if it suits you (d4 d5 c4 e6 Nc3 c6 Nf3 Nf6 Bg5 h6 Bxf6 Qxf6).  Look up the games of GM Novikov for some examples.

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Peter Kitchen

Reply #2 - 05/09/04 at 10:22:33
Post Tools
Personally I would recommend the QGD, the key is about understanding the different pawn structures, especially in the Exchange Variation. Its not so much opening theory so long as you know what you are playing for.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/09/04 at 06:23:32
Post Tools
With the Tarrasch Defense one has to play actively in the resulting isolated queen pawn structures.  The Tatakower Defense is the best way to play the QGD but you also have to play against the Exchange Variation and the Catalan.  Of course there is also the move order 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 playing the Nimzo-Indian after 3.Nc3 and the QGD after 3.Nf3 (of course you might just play the Queen's Indian or Bogo-Indian as well).  I'm sure you'll get many suggestions here.  Good luck and welcome to the forum!

IP Logged

Max
YaBB Newbies

Tarrasch defense or.......?
05/09/04 at 02:19:19
Post Tools
I'm looking for a defense against 1. d4. I like closed  strategical games so i'm trying to find something similar to Caro-Kann, which is my defense agaist 1. e4.
First i plated king's indian defense, but it's too difficult for me because of the different situations i experienced in the different variation of this opening.
The Slav is enough solid but there are a lot of tactical variations so i don't know if this opening is for me.
I was thinking about Tarrasch defense or something like Tartakower variation of the QGD.
Pleae help me Smiley.

P.S. This is my first post in this forum so i send you a great italian "ciao" to all the members

bye

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo