Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How should i attack the KID? (Read 17002 times)
Tzanidakis_Michael

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: How should i attack the KID?
Reply #3 - 05/17/04 at 19:06:35
Post Tools
Just to let you know that most people in 1600 rating don't study 20 moves deep Wink Against the KID I would suggest to play the saemisch (you know the f3 move) and then go for a king side attack, which been attacked in the king side is something KID players hate. If you don't want to play against the grunfeld then just don't play the e4 move and go for a normal looking queen pawn structure. Remember that a 1600 player normally loses a pawn in every 16 moves Wink So just get them out of theory and search every, and i really mean every possibility. Finally you could try the bayonet attack, which is so strong that I even played it with black pieces against the king indian attack, and that means a loss of a tempo, and i won a 1700+ player without even getting in danger. If you decide to play the bayonet consider the hit g2-g4 during the game which slows tooooooo much black's king side attack Wink
« Last Edit: 05/18/04 at 06:25:13 by Tzanidakis_Michael »  

IP Logged

FusterCluck
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 05/17/04 at 00:54:10
Post Tools
thanks for the thoughful response.  i trust your advice that the Bayonet may be my best option.  unfortunately playing 3. c4 doesn't appeal to me for a few reasons:

If a game started 1. d4 d5, my current repetoire calls for 2. Nc3 and veresov ideas. If someone led into the Grunfeld from here with 2 .... g6, all my preperation for the Bayonet would be useless.  I would need to learn 2 completely different attacks vs the KID.

i hate the idea of playing any opening that my oponent has studied 20 moves deep.  this is the primary reason i avoid the queen's gambit.  I would have to really book up aginst a whole slew of heavily theoretical defenses: the slav, semi-slav, QGA, dutch, KID, numerous indian defenses, etc.

i'll try some games taking your 2nd recommendation.  BTW, what would your game plan be as black after 1. d4 Nf6   2. Nf3 g6   3. Nc3 d5   4. Bg5 Bg7  5. Qd2.  I would be attempting to rid you of that precious fianchetto bishop with 6. Bh6 - like the 150 attack against the Pirc.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #1 - 05/16/04 at 22:12:30
Post Tools
My understanding was always that strictly speaking it's not a Torre unless White plays e3 and black plays e6. But anyway, I would go with choice "d" none of the above. If you know you're opponent is going to play KID, just learn the classical Bayonet. I play 1. e4 almost every game except against these two kids at my club because I know they'll play the KID (I really think the Bayonet is that strong). If you think you're opponent may play the Grunfeld (and don't want to play against it), though, or simply don't like d4, c4 pawn structures, I would vote for the Veresov for 2 reasons: (1) A bishop on g5 in the KID (and similar positions) is generally much more annoying than a bishop on f4, and (2) The Veresov (as opposed to the "Torre") pretty much forces black to play d5 (which is annoying to KID/Pirc/Modern players who prefer d6 structures.

To reiterate, I have to say that none of these lines is likely to have "sting" against one of the most solid setups in chess. Even in some of the most agressive lines (such as the Saemisch), it is difficult for white to really put serious attacking pressure on black's positon with a direct assault which is why the deferred Queenside to Kingside attack is very successful in the Bayonet. At 1600 level, if you know how to storm the queenside w/ b4, c5 , Rc1, etc., I think you'll find that you can really blow a lot of KId players out of the water with the Bayonet if you're prepared. While you will have to learn a few side-variations if black plays some inferior alternative in the first 10 moves, After 2. Nf3 g6 I would vote 3. c4.

IP Logged

FusterCluck
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

How should i attack the KID?
05/16/04 at 20:42:22
Post Tools
Which of the following moves is most annoying/challenging to you KID fans out there after 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 ?  

Torre attack:

3. Bg5 Bg7 4. Nbd2

Veresov (threatening a Pirc with 4. e4 if you play 3. ... Bg7) :

3. Nc3 d5 4. Bg5

Barry Attack:

3. Nc3 d5 4. Bf4

I have always played the Torre attack, but it seems to lack sting vs KID.  I could start playing one of these other two lines fairly easily because they have similar ideas to other openings i've played (the torre, london, and veresov).  Which would be my best bet at the 1600 playing level?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo