Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 c5 (Read 4150 times)
elspringer

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: 1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 c5
Reply #5 - 11/05/04 at 05:28:37
Post Tools
Troublesome indeed, the adversary might be a 'franco-benoni'player who is prepared for a sicilian, AND a pseudobenoni and uses some St-George's-lines as well (against the e4-d4-c3-setup for instance) : there is a booklet by Soltis and a Cd by Maddox on exactly this repertoire (with some holes).

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #4 - 06/02/04 at 04:26:30
Post Tools
Well that's certainly true that Black would have to be prepared for these openings as well.  On the other hand the 1...e6, 2...c5 player might just be thinking, "he opened 1.d4, I allowed him to transpose to my French but he played 2.Nf3 which I usually play 2...f5 against but I know he plays the Torre so I'm going to try 2...c5.  What are the odds that a 1.d4,2.Nf3 player knows the Open Sicilian?".  Ok, perhaps that's far fetched but I just know I'll end up playing the one guy who thinks just like that  Smiley.  

By the way I suppose he could be a St.George Defence player!?
« Last Edit: 11/05/04 at 08:45:35 by Glenn Snow »  

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 06/02/04 at 03:11:15
Post Tools
Before we get too worried about these move order nuances, it is worth remembering that in order to play like this, black must be prepared to defend both a French (1.d4 e6 2.e4) and an Open Sicilian (1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 c5 3.e4) - and you get to choose which.

Personally, I think I would just go into the Open Sicilian and then probably play a fianchetto with g3 and Bg2 - there is not too much theory in these lines and it is quite simple to learn.  Theoretically speaking there is nothing much for Black to worry about here, it is true, but that is another story.
« Last Edit: 06/02/04 at 05:54:17 by alumbrado »  

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/31/04 at 22:04:15
Post Tools
Well I obviously enjoy sharing information with others with similiar interests!  After 1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 c5, I don't think we can reach Palliser's suggestion anymore.  If 3.d5 I think Black is comfortable (maybe more) after 3..exd5, which is why I was probably going to toss out the Torre idea for my own repertoire (although I still have a soft spot for the opening). 

By the way, there is a message option here on the forum plus my email is listed under the "members" section if you want to compare notes offline (so to speak) or play me a game.

IP Logged

FusterCluck
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #1 - 05/31/04 at 11:33:51
Post Tools
Lol, we are working on the exact same repertoire apparantely.  See my latest post in d4 d5 forum about integrating Palliser and Burgess! 

Against 2. c5 we might be better off playing d5 and attempting to transpose into Palliser's Benoni ideas.

P.S.  If you'd like to work together on a repertoire, i have done a lot of research already.  Perhaps we can play some games.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 c5
05/31/04 at 04:20:15
Post Tools
While reading Burgess' strategic introduction in his book "The Gambit Guide to the Torre Attack" I found "Another question for White is how to reply to 2...c5".  He then goes on to explain White's various options giving 3.c3 as the best chance of reaching a Torre in a modified form.  I looked up the appropriate section in his book and the "modified form" didn't look very promising to me against the move order 3...Nf6 4.Bg5 cxd4 5.cxd4 Qb6! which he says is probably best.  This move order does present a small problem for Torre players and I would think London players as well.  I noted that Summerscale didn't mention the 1...e6,2...c5 move order in his book but that probably won't be much of a problem with his suggested repertoire.  After 1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 c5 3.e3 Nf6 4.Bd3 and White will probably be able to transpose into either the Colle/Zukertort or the e3 variation against the Queen's Indian (The latter also being the choice of Palliser in "Play 1.d4!").  Basically I had been thinking about a repertoire based on the Palliser's book but using the Torre to avoid the Bogo and Queen's Indians, but since I can't avoid the QI anyway, it hardly looks worth the effort.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo