Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How good is the Open Sic section? (Read 3621 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: How good is the Open Sic section?
Reply #4 - 09/17/04 at 12:31:30
Post Tools
Smiley I'm new to this site, having recently bought a gold membership.  On the whole I am quite happy with it.

It seems a shame, however, that there is only one section devoted to ALL those Sicilicans!   Angry This seems especially weird, since the motley "anti-Sicilians" get one whole section! 

You could imagine separate sections for (1) Najdorf-Sheveningen-Classical,  (2) Sveshnikov-Kalashnikov-Lowenthal,  (3) other including Kan-Taimanov-4 Knights.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

greydog
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 09/17/04 at 09:38:24
Post Tools
It seems Fed is too busy to spend much time on this section. It's too bad since the open sicilian is so popular. Cry

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Reply #2 - 08/08/04 at 14:26:26
Post Tools
I agree fully, Ruslan's section is the best.  So in a sense, yes, you are being spoiled by it. 

I don't look at the Open Sicilian section too often, but when I do, usually I can find what I need.  And, what's more useful, the Open Sicilian forum tends to elicit quicker answers than the others. 

Other than that, it really depends on which Sicilian you need it for (or in the case of being a white player, all of 'em!). 

I think the Sveshnikov section is lacking, probably because if I play Sicilian this is generally my favorite so I'm likely to find the missing info.  The Najdorf/Schev/Classical sections are a little confusing because the e-books overlap (for example, the Velimirovic attack e4 c5 Nf3 d6 d4 cxd4 Nxd4 Nf6 Nc3 Nc6 Bc4 with a 0-0-0 plan, is not found in the classical section but hidden under Sozin-Najdorf in the Najdorf section).  Besides that, the Dragons, despite being Open Sicilians, are not covered here so you are getting shafted in a sense by getting this section.   Lips Sealed

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Bilbo Baggins
YaBB Newbies

A Texan Stranded in New
Jersey

Reply #1 - 08/08/04 at 07:53:05
Post Tools
  Greetings,

Simple answer.  Sherbakov is the best.

Your Humble Servant,

Bilbo

A Texan stranded in New Jersey

IP Logged

baljej
YaBB Newbies

How good is the Open Sic section?
07/04/04 at 14:22:34
Post Tools
Hi guys,

I have a subscription to the d4 d5-section by Sherbakov and am considering a subscription to the Open Sic's. But maybe I am a bit spoiled by Sherbakov?

Could anyone of you offer an opinion on how good the Open Sic-section is?  If d4 d5 rates 10 (on scale 1-10), how good would the Open Sic be? (I'm especially interested in the Taimanov section.)

Regards,
JanB

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo