Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Tactical Anti Sicilian (Read 3470 times)
X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Re: Tactical Anti Sicilian
Reply #6 - 10/20/04 at 12:51:55
Post Tools
...err, ahem, in the long term.  Wink

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #5 - 10/20/04 at 12:46:19
Post Tools
Play 2.a3!  Bezgodov wrote a book on it recently called Challenging the Sicilian with 2.a3.  Hansen wrote a review on ChessCafe giving it four stars.  From the description, it sounds like there a number of original ideas and the lines certainly look tactical.   Smiley

But seriously, playing anti-sicilians is ok, but if you're a tactical player you should start learning the Open Sicilian.  You can check out Gallagher and Nunn's Beating the Sicilian 3, although it's a little outdated.  For example, in the Dragon section, many of ideas suggested were new at the time.  In fact I don't the b5-pawn sacrifice against the recommended Qg5 line was even considered, and it's considered the main line nowadays!  Another more reasonable repertoire is Davies' Taming the Sicilians.  The lines are more positional, but no matter what you play, you'll have to learn positional play anyway.  What better place to start than in the open sicilian, where the play is already tactical?

Something to keep mind though, is that the further you progress you will learn that the divisions between positional and tactical play are somewhat blurred, and these labels are often artificial.  Some of the most positionally demanding openings are highly tactical; for example, the Catalan, one of my favorite openings.  Check out some of the gambit lines, if you don't believe me.  Wink  Remember there's no easy route to success in chess.

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 08/02/04 at 10:53:33
Post Tools
As everyone above has a positive approach, I will write down the negative sides.
Open Sicilian: I have tried this one year and got only four times the opportunity. Is that really worth the effort?
GPA: 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.f4 d5 4.Nf3 dxe4 and it is hard to stir up tactical complications.
Morra Gambit: a bit dubious, but what is worse: Black has a wide choice of defences (about 13!) and White nont. As White's play is very predictable, sooner or later you will meet a prepared opponent.
Wing's Gambit: Unsound.
Several Bb5 lines: not mentioned until now, but there are some exciting lines. The problem is what to do after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 (3.Nc3 a6).

My choice in OTBplay is the GPA, but who am I? In corr. games I prefer the Open Sicilian.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 08/02/04 at 07:45:10
Post Tools
It seems to me that if it is tactics and open positions you are after, then you can't beat 2.Nf3 and 3.d4.  There is a reason this is the main line ...

As Glenn suggests you can try some less theoretical lines - so avoid the English, Keres, Velimirovic and Yugoslav Attacks and instead look at the lines beginning with 6.Be2 or 6.g3.  The tactics will come later on, but they will come ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/01/04 at 22:32:27
Post Tools
You want to keep it as tactical as possible yet you don't want to sac a pawn?  Undecided  It seems to me if you're going to try and keep it as tactical as possible you'd welcome material imbalances as long as they were reasonably sound.  (although if you are really aiming for complications and general unclarity I'm not sure that should be a big deal either)  Of course eventually you're going to have to learn to increase your positional abilities if you hope to improve.  I would think the variation that gives the greatest chances of tactical play is the Open Sicilian.  You wouldn't have to play all the most topical variations either.  For instance against the Dragon you could try the 6.Bg5 and Bb5+ system or the Levenfish.  Against the Najdorf there is 6.f4.  Not sure there are alternatives like that against all the variations but you might want to look into it.

IP Logged

Björn

Reply #1 - 07/31/04 at 11:07:42
Post Tools
The c3 Sicilian is not too untactical, there's plenty of tactical ideas - a lot of the time lines with Nb1-a3(-b5) are quite exciting, e.g.
1.e4 c5 2.c3 Nf6 3.e5 Nd5 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 d6 7.exd6 Qxd6 8.Na3 is quite an exciting line.
or "similarly"
1.e4 c5 2.c3 d5 3.exd5 Qxd5 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 Bg4 (there's also some interesting dxc5 ideas in these lines) 6.Be2 e6 7.Na3.

IP Logged

oppi
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Tactical Anti Sicilian
07/31/04 at 10:03:47
Post Tools
Hi everybody!
Im buildinge me a new opening reperoire and due to my playing strength (bout 1500 elo) i want to keep it as tactical as possible. So i was wonderng whick anti sicilian is the most tactical and sharpest line.
I was toying around with the morra gmabit and even the wing gambit, but but i dislike to sacrifice a pawn period.
The alapin c3 sicilian seemes very quiet or can i as the white player force tactical sharp lines ?
i never really played with the GPA... is it recommendable for a junior like me who want to keep it tactical ?
im playing the vienna as white too, so maybe the gpa would fit nicely. thx for ur time

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo