Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Where is the supposed white advantage here? (Read 2343 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: Where is the supposed white advantage here?
Reply #2 - 08/23/04 at 17:41:13
Post Tools
I assume the problem here is White's seventh move having got omitted. I imagine the line referred to is (after 6 ...g6) 7 Nxc6 bxc6 8 e5 Ng4 9 exd6 Qxd6 10 Qxd6 exd6 11 0-0. I don't know where Nunn calls this good for White, but in NCO (p. 206, n. 1), Emms (who wrote this section) claims a slight advantage for White. Presumably this is on account of White's better pawn structure, but Black's central presence and good piece co-ordination might fully compensate?

IP Logged

nexirae

SMURF!  Soviet Men Under
Red Father!

Re: Where is the supposed white advantage here?
Reply #1 - 08/23/04 at 17:15:17
Post Tools
You've got something wrong here... 9 Qxd6 is impossible. 

NeX iRae

IP Logged

Arthur I

Where is the supposed white advantage here?
08/23/04 at 11:30:32
Post Tools
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 xd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Bc4 g6

Nunn gives
7.e5 Ng4 8.xd6 Qxd6 9. Qxd6 xd6 10.0-0 +=

But I don't see how white can get any advantage here.
10.... Be6 11.Re1 d5
and
Nxd5 is a piece sack which gets 3 pawns for the knight but they are unadvanced and split 2 queenside 1 kingside. It may be unbalanced but I doubt black has trouble.
Retreating the bishop gives black enough time to comfortably develop.
Trading bishops a move earlier doesn't really help white at all. Kd7 and black is seems fine in the upcoming endgame.
Black has a stronger centre and half open b file. That seems to be more than enough for equality.
If Nunn was mistaken then isn't this the ideal way to avoid the 0-0-0 yugoslav? Unlike the accel. dragon, where white has the Maroczky option, here white's alternative is the Richter-Rauzer, which is in the same double edged spirit of the dragon.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo