Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Larsen Opening (Read 10584 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Larsen Opening
Reply #7 - 09/21/04 at 20:03:22
Post Tools
I do not completely understand, why White's structure is
so good after 1.b3 f5 2.Bb2 Nf6 3.Bxf6 exf6 as White is
possibly weak on the dark squares.
After 4.g3 Black can occupy the centre with d5 5.Bg2 c5.
After other moves (4.c4 or 4.d4) Black can play a queen's
fianchetto with full control of square e4.
1.b3 f5 2.e4! looks quite strong indeed, thanks for the
warning.

Some statistics: after 1.b3 f5 2.Bb2 Nf6 White has, including
the transposition 3.Nf3, 55%.
Leaving out Stonewall structures: 54%.
Leaving out White playing c4/d4: 50%.
White playing Bxf6: 53% but with only 16 games.
What's most interesting is the very low draw rate in each case.
That is exactly what Black wants after 1...f5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #6 - 09/21/04 at 10:42:17
Post Tools
I play 1.b3 now for 4 years as my main white opening on a ~2200 elo level and still enjoy it! Also I have reasonable results (~70% score) and even in my few defeats the opening has never been the problem.

1.b3 is not a beginners opening, you should have already developed a strategical understanding before entering this, especially experience with 1.c4 is very useful!

For 1.b3 starters the books by Dunnington and Jacobs/Tait are very good. You can get some ideas and the very little of necessary theory, afterwards search new games in TWIC from Pavel Blatny for example. But don´t forget the main goal: leaving theory on move 3  Smiley

1...f5 is very good - from the white side of view! After 2.Bb2 already has problems:
- 2...Nf6 3.Bxf6! is a very good structure for white
- 2...d6 with the idea of 3...Nbd7 and 4...Ngf6 should be answered by transposition to dutch main variations where Nbd7 is unusual (and bad)
- 2...e6 3.e4! fxe4? 4.Qh5+ Ke7 (g6 5.Qe5 +-) must be good for white though there´s no forced win. This is a very good scorer in blitz games! Some russians have tried 3...Qh4!? but 4.exf5 or even the gambit 4.Nf3 Qxe4+ 5.Be2 looks promising

1...Nf6 2.Bb2 g6!? 3.Bxf6! exf6 4.c4! is a good kind of the tromp, white can still cover e4 with d2-d3.

1...e5 is of course the main variation with most often 2.Bb2 Nc6 to follow. Now 3.c4 or 3.Nf3 are possible but you should play 3.e3 with no fear in view of 3...d5 because that´s exactly the kind of play you´re aiming for - white gets a slight advantage! After 3...Nf6 you can play 4.c4 (look at Fischer-Andersson, Siegen1970, 1:0) or 4.Bb5 with complicated positions after both 4...d6 and 4...Bd6!? . - In case of 1.b3 e5 2.Bb2 d6 try 3.e3 with an early d2-d4, especially if black adds f7-f5: then after e5-e4 you can use f4 as an outpost for your kings knight. The second (and maybe best) possibility is to play 3.g3 and transpose to main lines of the kings indian fianchetto variation (but only  while knowing theory a little bit), it´s very likely that you can get a system with Nb8-d7 on blacks side, while in the KI move order other systems with Nb8-c6 are supposed to be more active (sorry, I can´t discuss every possible move order concerning this).

Maybe most annoying is 1...d5. There´s no simple way to play for initiative, but there are many ways to try. Most black players know 1.b3 d5 2.Bb2 c5 3.e3 Nc6 4.Bb5 as good for white so they will delay c7-c5 for a while - in fact not often white gets a nimzo or queensindian with an extra move Undecided
After 2.Bb2 c5 3.e3 a6 play 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.d4! and enter a colle/zukertort with an useless a6 for black. This white structure you can also enter in any case though against other black setups it´s harmless (but useful as a backup line).
Playing a Bird with 3./4. f2-f4 always sharpens the game - when black has looked in his queens bishop with e7-e6 it´s quite promising. With blacks bishop on f5 or g4 you can play coffeehouse style with f3/g4/h4 hunting this piece! But be careful, you really take positional risks!
The third idea gainst d5-setups is to fianchetto both bishops and play a Reti. Most often black counters with a London or New York setup: 1.b3 d5 2.Bb2 Nf6 3.g3 Bf5/g4 4.Bg2 c6 5.Nf3 e6 6.0-0 Nbd7 7.c4 Be7 ... As I play this line with both colours I cannot promise an advantage for white.

Other moves as 1...c5 or 1...b6 are possible but rare. Just play chess! By the way: for sure your opponents even know less than you about the opening! In most of my tournament games they needed half an hour to reach move 5  Smiley

tracke

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 09/15/04 at 21:43:51
Post Tools
Of course White has no objective reason to be afraid of 1.b3 f5. But transposing to the Dutch is something I like and White maybe/probably not.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #4 - 09/13/04 at 02:17:02
Post Tools
My first reaction would be to play 3...e4, but 3...Nd7 must also be possible

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

b2b3
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 09/12/04 at 13:07:17
Post Tools
I was not online for some days, but i am glad to find at least 2, who are interested in my favoured opening.

MNb, 1. ... f5 is definetely a move white doesnt like, but if it is really a reason to be afraid, i m not sure.

alumbrado, i played several times 1. b3 e5 2. Bb2 d6 3. d4 ..., what about your answer to that?

B2B3

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #2 - 09/02/04 at 10:21:00
Post Tools
Personally I prefer to go 1...e5 2.Bb2 d6 and then follow up with ...f5, ...Nf6, ...Be7, ...0-0 - but it may well come to the same thing.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 09/02/04 at 07:49:07
Post Tools
This is a shot for open goal. 1.b3 f5! followed by Nf6, d6 (or e6 first) and e6 or e5 is of course my answer.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

b2b3
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Larsen Opening
08/31/04 at 18:32:57
Post Tools
Hi everyone,

i m the first time here and extremely interested to share some thoughts with about the b2b3 opening.

Is there anybody.

B2B3

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo