Latest Updates:
Normal Topic New book?? (Read 4101 times)
IronMarshal

Re: New book??
Reply #7 - 10/04/04 at 17:50:11
Post Tools
According to Everyman's site, Gallagher's new KID repertiore book is out now. Amazon, however says it is not yet released.

IP Logged

IronMarshal

Reply #6 - 09/28/04 at 21:39:53
Post Tools
I have this book and agree with Geof's analysis. Gallagher's Starting Out is excellent and his forthcoming book should be the definitive repertiore bookon the KID.
My one quibble is that I don't consider the Averbakh to be "offbeat." The Barrie Attack should have been in there maybe, but this book was written as a series of white options.

IP Logged

Armin
YaBB Newbies

Destiny: A fool's excuse
for failure

Tx
Reply #5 - 09/17/04 at 16:00:08
Post Tools
Thanks, that's just the kind of answer I want to hear =)

IP Logged

Geof Strayer

Reply #4 - 09/17/04 at 04:51:51
Post Tools
Oops,  my last post got cut-off, so I will continue it here:

Ch. 4:  Averbakh System, lines without ...c7-c5 for
              Black, 18 annotated games
    Ch. 5:  Averbakh System, lines with ...c7-c5, 11
              annotated games.

The coverage seems to be primarily from the White perspective (i.e., Pinski and Ilczuc seem to be trying to provide you with enough information so that you could play these lines with White), but is sufficiently thorough and objective that a King's Indian player could also use this book to prepare responses to these "offbeat" systems.  However, since the book also considers somewhat inferior tries for Black (i.e., with the point of showing how White plays against them), a significant portion of this book probably is somewhat superfluous from Black's perspective. 

All in all, if you play the King's Indian as Black this book probably contains some useful information, but may not provide enough information from the Black perspective  to justify the price unless you are a serious theory junkie.  For most Black players, I would think that the coverage by Gallagher of these lines in Chapters 8-10 of "Starting Out: The King's Indian" should be sufficient, at least when combined with a look at the games in a chess database.  (If you don't already have Gallagher's book, in my opinion you will get more bang for you buck from that book, probably even if you are a fairly experienced King's Indian player.)

If you are thinking about playing one of these lines from the White perspective, this book seems to contain a good, recent summary of the theory on these lines, and I would recommend it.

- Geof

IP Logged

Geof Strayer

Reply #3 - 09/17/04 at 03:27:18
Post Tools
I also have this book, although I don't play these lines for White or Black.  As indicated by Mike Thomas, the book's coverage is limited to a few of the more theoretically significant "offbeat" tries for White.  The book's coverage is as follows:

Ch. 1:  Kramer Variation (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7
               4.e4 d6 5.Nge2), 15 annotated games
     Ch. 2:  "Seirawan" Variation (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3
                Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Bd3), 15 annotated games
     Ch. 3:  Makogonov System (same as above w/ 5.h3),
               15 annotated games
     Ch. 4:  Averbakh System (5.Be2 0-0 6.Bg5), lines

IP Logged

Mike Thomas

So many openings, so little
time!

Reply #2 - 09/15/04 at 17:51:48
Post Tools
Hansen's major gripe with the book was that it only covers 4 lines: the Kramer, the Seirawan, the Makogonov, and the Averbakh for a grand total of five chapter. Unfortunately, there are a lot more offbeat lines out there that weren't covered so the title is misleading. He did state that the book's coverage of those four lines is very good.

I picked up the book a few days ago and, while I'm nit an expert on either side of the KID, I like what I've read so far.

IP Logged

Billy_Cember
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 09/15/04 at 14:34:42
Post Tools
Yeah. It is a real book. I can't claim to have read it, but Carsten Hansen reviewed it in his latest Checkpoint at chesscafe.com, giving it 3 stars (out of 5)

IP Logged

Armin
YaBB Newbies

Destiny: A fool's excuse
for failure

New book??
09/15/04 at 11:26:39
Post Tools
Hi guys!

I was just surfing for books on the amazon page (I'm waiting for Gallaghers new KID book to come out) and I came across this book:

The Offbeat King's Indian : Lesser Known Tries to Counter This Most Popular of Defences
by Krzysztof Panczyk, Jacek Ilczuk

Anyone heard of this book? On amazon.com it says it came out in August 2004, but they have been mistaken a couple of times...

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo