Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Beating the Anti-Sicilians (Read 3006 times)
Beetlejuice

Be careful out there!

Re: Beating the Anti-Sicilians
Reply #3 - 03/05/05 at 15:37:23
Post Tools
Yes, Rogozenkos's book is great, but not perfect either.

I see two omissions, i.e. two items to the wish list for an update:

1. The KIA setup, e.g. 1. e4 c5. 2. Nf3 e6. 3. d3 d5. 4. Nbd2 Nc6. 5. g3 g6. 6. Bg2 Bg7 etc. 2. - e6 players can find something on this seen from Black's point of view in Watson's Play the French. On the KIA generally there is Dunnington's The Ultimate King's Indian Attack, which is not a "for White only" book.

2. 1. e4 c5. 2. a3, featured in Challenging the Sicilian with 2.a3!? by Alexei Bezgodov. (Bezgodov's book was issued after Rogozenko's, so Rogozenko should not be blamed for the omission).

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/07/04 at 08:31:38
Post Tools
I have to admit I had forgotten about Rogozenko's book.  Now, after having read a couple of reviews of the book, I totally agree with X's post.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #1 - 11/07/04 at 04:54:00
Post Tools
Well, I think Rogozenko has done a very good job for providing a repertoire for black.  He even covered the Hungarian (Qxd4) lines.  For now, I think this the best "update."  I really like the recommendations.  There are significantly fewer holes in the repertoire, and I think all the lines are solid.  Although, it's more up to date than Gallagher's book, I actually like the style better for reference.  The book uses the "tree" approach, which I prefer since there are many tricky anti-sicilian move-orders.  Depending on the systems you play, sometimes considerations on move orders in the early stages of the game must go beyond general considerations.  For example, Rogozenko covers the Grand Prix attack arising from 2.Nc3 d6 which is important for Najdorf players.  (Gallagher doesn't cover this.)  Also I think his coverage of 2.Nf3 e6 is excellent.

Gallagher's book is a good book though (probably better for <1800), for picking up a system quickly by learning the typical plans and it uses the complete games approach.  But remember there are significant holes in the repertoire depending on what you play!  Unless Gallagher has several new ideas, I think it be difficult would to add much to current anti-sicilian literature after the excellent books by Rogozenko on the anti-sicilians and Rozentalis and Harley on the c3 sicilian (both by Gambit!).

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Beating the Anti-Sicilians
11/06/04 at 00:01:35
Post Tools
Quote:
Speaking of which, Joe Gallagher's "Beating the Anti-Sicilians" was a wonderful book.  I used it to take a couple of half-points off Tal Shaked right before he was World Junior Champion.  Any chance of a second edition?  mattg

I think a second edition is a great idea!  Much of the original analysis is still valid but there are definitely some areas that could use an update.  I personally would like to see a recommendation changed or two.  For instance I'm not that crazy about the choice against 2.c3.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo