Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Another Bird question (Read 3340 times)
HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Re: Another Bird question
Reply #5 - 12/19/04 at 12:11:50
Post Tools
Tom,

Thanks for your comments and attention!  Big help here.  I want to start playing the Bird in correspondence chess, but thought I should test-drive it a little first.  What I really should have done is worked on my own rather than playing blitz, which rarely helps one do more than develop a basic understanding of the position.

The sad irony is that I was combining all the elements you mention with reckless abandon.  Nh4 was a common theme, but then I'd follow it up with c3 or some kind of queenside expansion that my pieces weren't ready to realize.  Qe1 invariably ran into Nb4 (which precipitated an interest in c3 first), but you're right: kingside expansion comes first.  Plans with h3/g4 look very convincing.

Thanks again for your pointers!  I'll let you know how the cc goes--but it will take a few months!   Wink

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

TomR

Reply #4 - 12/18/04 at 07:21:04
Post Tools
ok, i'll deal with the 2nd question 1st, gives em time to think about the tricky 1st question!

If Black retreats his Bishop then it is probably not best to start play on the Queenside. Black will try and play on that side and moves like c3 and a4 will probably on help Black in that respect. Instead White should play h3 and g4 gaining space on the King-side. Blacks pieces (e.g. Nf6 and Bg6) far from defending his King will only bepushed around by White's advancing pawns. I have only had this is blitz but I suspect White is clearly better in these type of positions.

Ok, what is Black refrains from ..d4. This is indeed tricky and it is difficult to give general moves against this, but here are some useful ideas:

Nh4 at some point attacking the Bishop and preparing e4 (now the Bishop on g2 is defending e4) is a common idea. Unless Black has played h6 to allow Bh7 you can swap off the Knight for the Bishop and then you should have won the battle for control of e4.

Re1 seems a little odd because the Rook wants to be on the F-file in anticipation of an attack on Blacks king.

Qe1 is interesting, but you have to be careful of an irratating ...Nb4 sometimes, with threats against c2.

the simple h3, planning g4 also deserves attention.

I hope this is useful for your blitz encounters, let me know how they go/if these plans are effective!

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #3 - 12/15/04 at 11:14:43
Post Tools
I guess I still have two questions:

1. What if Black doesn't play d4?  Some tactics are possible for White if Black protects d5 with only Nf6, but what about after e6?  The fight for e4 becomes a tricky one.  I experimented with Ne5 and R/Qe1, but both seemed awkward, when Black had his sights set on preventing the e4 advance.

2. After ... d4, e4 looks very good, but if Black retreats his f5 bishop and White plays Ne2, can I proceed immediately with c3 to weaken Black's advanced pawns, or should I start by claiming space on the queenside (with a4 or something?).

I apologize for not providing specific variations, but I'm not in front of a board.  I hope the above is clear enough, since we seem to be talking about general ideas anyway.
« Last Edit: 12/15/04 at 18:55:40 by HgMan »  

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #2 - 12/15/04 at 11:07:27
Post Tools
Thanks!  I guess this is what I get for playing blitz online...   Undecided

IP Logged

TomR

Reply #1 - 12/10/04 at 08:22:31
Post Tools
It can be a problem but there is an important trick to bear in mind.
Its logical to play these moves 1st as White,
f4, Nf3, g3, d3, Bg2, 0-0 and there is little Black can do to interfere with this.
Assuming he has set up with d5, c5, Nf6, Bf5 etc:
The move you want to play is Nc3 preparing e4, after which Blacks piece deployment looks suspect. The most obvious respone is ...d4 to attack the Knight on c3. Now White should be able to play e4! anyway attacking the Bishop on f5. If the tactics after ..dxc3 exf5 are in your favour then this is a good line. After dxe3 instead (en passant) Bxe3 leaves White with a slight edge. If instead Black moves his Bishop then you can move your Knight back to e2 with a comfortable space advantage.
Obviously this is all very general, i shall be happy to go into more detail if there any specific move-orders that you find particularly troublesome!

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Another Bird question
12/09/04 at 22:00:27
Post Tools
In playing blitz chess, I encountered an early Bf5 from Black that rattled me a little.  I've seen Black regularly swing the bishop out to g4 or b7, but Bf5 surprised me.  It makes sense, since it fights for e4, and I found the insertion of the extra move upset my move orders (especially in blitz) and I started struggling with simple development.  How does White respond?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo