Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Sveshnikov: black prospects for a kingside-attack (Read 2283 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Sveshnikov: black prospects for a kingside-att
Reply #4 - 12/16/04 at 10:41:38
Post Tools
D-K, you might find it interesting, that the name Kalasjnikov was invented by an expert on the Svesjnikov: Dutch GM John van der Wiel.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Reply #3 - 12/14/04 at 06:57:41
Post Tools
@JEGutman
thanks for your reply.
I dont know if you have some experience with the Kalashnikov too, but I played it the last 2 years and I dont remember any Kalashnikov-lines where it is so easy for White to make the game less complicated/(in some way) drawish.
It also seems to me like if the Kalashnikov is less theoretical. Much people on ICC are not prepared for meeting the Kalashnikov, but so far all players I tried the Sveshnikov yesterday at, were rather well prepared for the Sveshnikov.

Played now another Sveshnikov on ICC with..
7. Bg5 a6, 8. Na3 b5, 9. Bxf6 gxf6, 10. Nd5 f5, 11. c3 Bg7, 12.  Bd3 Be6, 13. Qh5 0-0, 14. 0-0 f4, 15. g4 ?!..
and well, if I had the choice, having the black or the white pieces, I would for sure decide for the white ones.
All in all: this typcial Sveshnikov setup with Qh5, Nd5, Bd3 vs. Bg7 + Be6 looks very strange for me. I so far cant understand why black scores so tremendously well in this crazy Sveshnikov.
« Last Edit: 12/14/04 at 09:10:59 by Dutch-Kalashnikov »  

IP Logged

JEGutman
YaBB Newbies

Psychological draw offers
are the key to success.

Reply #2 - 12/14/04 at 06:09:37
Post Tools
Sounds like a fair assessment, but you must also consider soundness of both lines.  It may not be a perfect opening to play for a win for black, but it's certainly been holding its own theoretically whereas most black players would be very worried about losing in the kalashnikov since white gets good control in many lines.

IP Logged

Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Reply #1 - 12/13/04 at 16:49:11
Post Tools
After playing first time in my life some Sveshnikovs just for a try on ICC I see another big difference to the Kalashnikov: there seem to be some lines - like 9. Nd5 Be7, 10. Bxf6 Bxf6 where White can with some exchanges make the game rather uncomplicated, to not say drawish.
Dont like this.

IP Logged

Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Sveshnikov: black prospects for a kingside-attack
12/13/04 at 09:55:29
Post Tools
I am a Kalashnikov-player.
As I read more and more euphoric comments on the Sveshnikov I started to look at some Sveshnikov games.
After going through my first Sveshnikov games I am little bit amazed. I always thought that black plays the Sveshnikov for the same reasons I play the Kalashnikov: a kingside attack.
But in all those games the black kingside attack seems to be stuck after (an sometimes early) f5. It looks more like if White starts a kingside-attack and Black is going forced to defend his kingside (and sometimes additionally his queenside) for the next 20 moves.
Is this right or did I look at the wrong Sveshnikov-games?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo