Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 4 Pawns Attack with ...Nbd7 (Read 6317 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: 4 Pawns Attack with ...Nbd7
Reply #7 - 12/17/04 at 23:30:41
Post Tools
I've played the 4 Pawns for a long time, and I think it's badly underrated.  Sacrificing time in exchange for space seems to be increasingly consistent with modern practice; here and elsewhere it produces very dynamic situations.

9...Bg4 followed by ...Nbd7 went from being THE counter to White's idea (in the early 90s) to a backwater, with scant explanation from its former advocates.  It seems, however, that White's early Re1 turned out to be too much to handle.

I haven't considered 9...Nbd7 much, but offhand, it looks a little passive.  Relatedly, after 9...Re8  10. e5 dxe5  11. fxe5 Ng4  12. 0-0 Nxe5  13. Bf4, ...Nbd7 either now or after the exchange on f3 is strongly met by d6.  However after 9...Nbd7, Black's rook still defends f7, so I suspect 10. e5 immediately may be premature.

Even so, I think that e4-e5 should be White's goal once Black's e-pawn has been exchanged for White's c-pawn.

Black is under some pressure after 9. cxd5.  E.g. definitely Black should not play 9...a6, which is strongly met by 10. e5 dxe5  11. fxe5 Ng4  12. e6 fxe6  13. Ng5.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Paul Hopwood

Reply #6 - 12/16/04 at 13:40:45
Post Tools

Thanks for all your constructive advice everyone. 

To be honest, I just felt that 9...Bg4 is the psychologically best move to play, ie. when White plays aggressively against The KID, Black should play solidly and vice versa and to that end 9...Bg4 is a nice restraining move.  But then when did a KId player shirk chessboard violence?! Cheesy

However, seeing as no-one has quoted any analysis as to why the line may have a problem, I feel suitably boosted.  Many thanks once again!

Regards

Paul Hopwood

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #5 - 12/16/04 at 05:49:06
Post Tools
This is my feeling also - although it is quite usual in the Benoni to play ...Bc8-g4xf3 for the reasons I have indicated, I sometimes feel my light squares can get a bit 'airy' afterwards, especially if White starts lunging with his e- and f-pawns.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 12/16/04 at 05:39:52
Post Tools
Come on, Paul, you should always rely on your own judgment.  If you lose, it is better to blame yourself than true or false authorities. So if you think 9...Nbd7 better than 9...Bg4, play it! My first impression is, that in these sharp positions Black should not give up the pair of bishops too soon.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 12/16/04 at 02:59:12
Post Tools
Well, I am probably more of a mere mortal than you - at least until I hit the 500 posts mark and join the deities on Mount ChessPub

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Paul Hopwood

Reply #2 - 12/15/04 at 13:50:19
Post Tools

That's exactly what I thought, but obviously being a mere mortal, I felt I couldn't just rely on my own prep and intuition!

Regards

Paul Hopwood

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 12/15/04 at 12:03:53
Post Tools
I have been playing this with Black (via KID and Benoni move orders) for years.  I think it probably suffers by comparison with 9...Bg4 not because it is objectively any worse (indeed, it may even be better), but simply because 9...Bg4 is more natural and feels 'safer' (reducing White control over e5 and reducing cramp in the Black position).

IP Logged

Paul Hopwood

4 Pawns Attack with ...Nbd7
12/15/04 at 09:55:14
Post Tools

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Benoni section, but ultimately thought it would be of more relevance to KID players.

Is there any obvious reason why 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nc3 Bg7 4 e4 d6 5 f4 0-0 6 Nf3 c5 7 d5 e6 8 Be2 exd5 9 cxd5 Nbd7 has any problems?  This line was recommended by Watson in his book on The Modern Benoni and the evidence 'seemed' pretty convincing.

Is this genuinely the case or can others enlighten me as to what is really going on here?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Paul Hopwood

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo