Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Opening repertoire e4 e5 for an aggressive player (Read 18561 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Opening repertoire e4 e5 for an aggressive pla
Reply #47 - 09/07/05 at 18:48:36
Post Tools
I think the Latvian and its hybrids are mostly played for fun rather than to play the very best game.  It works as a surprise, as I said earlier, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #46 - 09/07/05 at 12:19:16
Post Tools
3.exf5, 3.d4 and 3.Bc4 are hardly worse. Jeremy Silman on his site got a letter on the Latvian Gambit. The conclusion was, that it's Black's goal to prove, that White cannot win the resulting endings despite of his extra pawn. That means, that the Latvian is not fit for an aggressive player, but only for a masochist.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #45 - 09/07/05 at 10:59:41
Post Tools
I think there is some confusion here - the thread started off talking about 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 f5?! and then a reference to 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5?! (our old friend the Latvian Gambit) snuck in.

I won't comment on the "Italian-Latvian" hybrid, but I am firmly convinced that the simple 3.Nxe5 is +/- (albeit maybe not quite +-) against the Latvian.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #44 - 09/07/05 at 10:23:05
Post Tools
Well,

This particular master does indeed have an interesting sense of humour, and he did win the game but just to be clear, Markovich, I did point out that White's second move wasn't Bc4, but Nf3.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #43 - 09/06/05 at 13:38:05
Post Tools
Quote:
In answer to that question, I saw a master play the Black side of 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 and White spent more than half an hour (of his 2 hours in 40 moves) on his response.  Is a pawn worth half an hour in standard?  It would sure be worth a minute in blitz!

A realistic chance that anyone would play this would be enough to make me play 1. e4 against them.  This system is a joke.  The bishop is already on c4, and ...f5 is played?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #42 - 09/05/05 at 03:07:38
Post Tools
In answer to that question, I saw a master play the Black side of 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 and White spent more than half an hour (of his 2 hours in 40 moves) on his response.  Is a pawn worth half an hour in standard?  It would sure be worth a minute in blitz!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #41 - 08/31/05 at 13:56:29
Post Tools
Quote:
Basqueknight,

The line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 f5!? is showing up in serious games again after an hiatus of about a century.  Maybe just playing 2...f5 will be seen as an improvement! Wink

Well, how serious can such a game be?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #40 - 08/30/05 at 01:36:20
Post Tools
Basqueknight,

The line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 f5!? is showing up in serious games again after an hiatus of about a century.  Maybe just playing 2...f5 will be seen as an improvement! Wink

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 08/29/05 at 23:44:34
Post Tools
he could just play e5 e5 nf3 f5 with a fun game

IP Logged

photophore

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #38 - 08/23/05 at 16:45:02
Post Tools
I think you can't identify Black play in open Sicilians and in open games: they are not the same players
It's true that I am an exclusive  correspondance player , and it may change a lot of things
As for me I am a typical e4e5 player , and I scored as much with Black as with white in open games
Yet my tries with Black in Sicilian were unsuccessful , although I score well with White eg in the Najdorf
So , if your fellow is a true Sicilian player , he ought not turn to open games
If he were an open games player , he would have discovered it by himself as I did

IP Logged

mytzlplk
YaBB Newbies

Reply #37 - 08/23/05 at 00:41:33
Post Tools
Well I was clever enough to come up with the alias, not clever enough to look up how to spell it.   Grin

I learned later  it was originally it mxyztplk and in 1959 it accidently (typo) became mxyzptlk.  Isn't the internet wonderful?  Nothing is too trivial that you can't find information on it (well close).   Smiley

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #36 - 08/22/05 at 13:11:05
Post Tools
No, that was Mr. Mxyzptlk.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #35 - 08/22/05 at 08:04:05
Post Tools
Quote:
I agree with the general consensus that one should be cautious about changing your repertoire without an extremely good reason.  However, it seems inefficient to me to play a sharp Sicililian line if your opponents don't play the open Sicilian very often.  I would define efficiency in studying chess as rating points gained divided by time studied.  The advantage of 1...e5 is your time spent on sharper lines like the King's Gambit, the Italian, etc. tend to be used at least if your opponents are like mine I rarely play anyone higher than about 2100.

Hey, weren't you one of Superman's nemeses?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

mytzlplk
YaBB Newbies

Reply #34 - 08/21/05 at 22:16:17
Post Tools
I agree with the general consensus that one should be cautious about changing your repertoire without an extremely good reason.  However, it seems inefficient to me to play a sharp Sicililian line if your opponents don't play the open Sicilian very often.  I would define efficiency in studying chess as rating points gained divided by time studied.  The advantage of 1...e5 is your time spent on sharper lines like the King's Gambit, the Italian, etc. tend to be used at least if your opponents are like mine I rarely play anyone higher than about 2100.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #33 - 12/16/04 at 18:40:34
Post Tools
<there is a lot of imitation of GMs in the opening choices of lower-level players>
I doubt it. Many lower-level players hardly study openings, so how can they imitate?
<how complicated some of them are. > This is a good reason to play 1...e5 as Black, because complicated positions generally offer more winning chances than simple ones.
<I don't think these openings are so passive> Of course they are not, Black should not be worse. But I understood that D-K's friend was looking for possibilities for aggressive play, and in the Open Games I mentioned that is quite hard to achieve.
<White that scores above 60 %>
In my favourite defense, the Iljin-Zjenevsky, there are several lines in which White scores even better and still I think they should be playable for Black. But at the other hand IZ is hardly played on top level.
Another one: on top GM-level the King's Gambit scores considerably better than the Petrov. Must this lead to the conclusion, that 2.f4 is better than 2.Nf3? I can already hear the protests of TopNotch and others!
The Sicilian is good, because it is based on sound strategy and the asymmetrical pawn structures lead to imbalanced play.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo