Latest Updates:
Normal Topic QGE - Second pig ignorant question (Read 2341 times)
John Cox

Re: QGE - Second pig ignorant question
Reply #5 - 01/05/05 at 23:08:56
Post Tools
Ah, that's what a Topic is. Thanks very much, Kevin.

And thanks too to GM Scherbakov for pointing me in this direction. Actually the position I had was slightly different because White has played e3 rather than Nc3. So after the line MNb gives (thanks to MNb also) he can consider Nbd2, and in fact this might have something to be said for it. The endgame is different from the well-known one after 6...Bf5 in the normal QGE, and then Bg6 Bxf6 Qxf6 Qxf6 gxf6 and so on - first the Black bishop is still on f5, which may give either side a tempo, and second the black b-pawn is doubled. I'm guessing this latter is a positive for Black, but especially so if a quick b5-b4 attacks a knight on c3.

6...Qa5+ might also be disruptive. I'm still amazed all this stuff isn't in books. (but as MNb points out of course it is in some books!)

IP Logged

Kevin Ludwig

Reply #4 - 01/05/05 at 22:17:22
Post Tools
It is on the message board, page 3. GM Scherbakov has a few replies to a similar question. I actually couldn't find it either (even after looking at previous message board posts!), but google seems to find everything...

IP Logged

John Cox

Reply #3 - 01/05/05 at 13:38:01
Post Tools
Sorry about this, but I am afraid I am too stupid to find this Topic - I presume it's on the site somewhere. Can anyone tell me how to locate it?

IP Logged

GMRuslanScherbakov
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 12/18/04 at 08:30:30
Post Tools
Dear friends,

Perhaps the topic "Early Bf5 in the Queen's Gambit" would give you some useful ideas...  Wink

All the best,
Ruslan

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 12/17/04 at 16:35:31
Post Tools
Ha, this one I know. Not because I am so smart, but because I own Tajmanov's Damengambit bis Holländisch from 1980. 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bg5 c6 (key move) 6.Nf3 ("Ein anspruchsloser Entwicklungszug") Bf5 7.Qb3 Qb6 8.Qxb6 axb6 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.e3 b5 (Na6) 11.Kd2 Nd7 12.Nh4 Furman-Sjamkowitsj, USSRch, 1954, Be6 13.Bd3 Nb6 "und für die Mängel in seiner Bauernstruktur wird Schwarz durch vollwertiges Figurenspiel entschädigt." Something like: the active pieceplay compensates for the weakend pawn structure.

Now you propose that White can delay the development of the queen's knight a bit and play e3 instead. I have not found any game with this, but does the difference really matter?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

John Cox

QGE - Second pig ignorant question
12/17/04 at 15:23:35
Post Tools
Everyone knows that after 1 d4 d5 c4 e6 3 Nf3 Nf6 White can't get a proper QGE because Black can develop his queen's bishop to f5, right?

So how does Black do this exactly? Say it goes 4 cxd5 exd5 5 Bg5. Obviously not yet 5...Bf5 6 Qb3, so say 5...Be7 6 e3. 6....Bf5 7 Qb3 is still annoying (isn't it?) so now 6...c6, but White's in time with 7 Bd3.

So, going back, say 4 cxd5 exd5 5 Bg5 c6 6 e3. But 6....Bf5 7 Qb3 is still annoying, isn't it? 7...Bxb1 8 Rxb1 Qa5+ 9 Kd1! doesn't seem to be a problem. 7...Qa5+ 8 Nc3 Ne4 9 Bf4 Bb4 10 Rc1 likewise.

I'm sure this was all worked out in the 1920's, but no-one told me the answer, and Sadler et al seem to think it's too obvious to be worth mentioning.

Anyone help me out here?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo