Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Classical Sicilian books (Read 5719 times)
alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: Classical Sicilian books
Reply #7 - 01/10/05 at 11:43:31
Post Tools
When I have dabbled with the Classical, I have found that the lines with ...a6 and ...Bd7 (in the Rauzer) give Black a resilient position with good opportunities for "counterpunching".  Although he doesn't go so far as to recommend it above the other systems, this does seem to be what Pinski likes best judging from the comments in his book.

One thing I particularly like, I  have to say, is the idea of playing ...0-0-0, ...Kb8 and ...Rc8 which crops up quite frequently in these lines.  Particularly pleasing as many White players simply don't know what to do if the enemy king is not on the kingside where it can be hit with a pawn storm ...

BTW, I also like Tony's CD for the non-Rauzer lines Smiley

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #6 - 01/10/05 at 11:23:47
Post Tools
Some years ago I played the Classical Sicilian and prepared with Tony´s CD. Great stuff !! Nice introductions and easy understanding, it was really sufficient for all lines (but Richter-Rauzer), I kept uptodate with TWIC and CBM.

I was especially fascinated by Kramnik´s games (the Classical was his main weapon against 1e4 from 95 till 97).

If you want to prepare the mainlines of Richter-Rauzer with 6.Bg5 e6 it´s the same volume of theory as preparing for Najdorf or Dragon! - I used to play 6...Bd7!? or 6...g6?! with good results. These lines are playable (-> Morozevich-Dreev,Moscow04!) and White has to go for very sharp and forced variations to reach anything tangible. On the long run playing the mainlines may be somewhat better.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 01/10/05 at 10:25:12
Post Tools
Easy guide to the Classical Sicilian covers the following:
-On Bc4 both e6 (with two options) and Qb6
-On Bg5 he offers 3 or 4 ways (doubled pawns or not)
-On g3 he offers g6
-On Be2, f4 and Be3 (not sure about that one) he gives e5
-On Be3 he also covers Ng4 as a backup.

This is from memory so I am not 100% sure how many alternatives he offers against Bc4 and Bg5, but at least 2.

It is arranged on pawn structures so the Bg5 chapter is split, while Be2, f4 and Be3 are in one. Personally I think it is a very good book to get you up to speed quickly, without being too basic.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Nausikaa
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #4 - 01/10/05 at 10:13:22
Post Tools
Oh, and does it cover the Boleslavski variation with 1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cd 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Be2 e5 or what does it suggest after 6. Be2 ?

IP Logged

Nausikaa
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 12/25/04 at 09:34:57
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies!
Is this "Easy guide to the Classical Sicilian" a theory book with loads of different variations or rather an opening book focusing on ideas and principles (e.g. with anotated model games)?
Cheers

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #2 - 12/19/04 at 17:11:21
Post Tools
My CD for ChessBase covers everything but the Richter-Rauzer and 6 Bc4 e6 (preferring the Benko)! Cry

IP Logged

Paul Hopwood

Reply #1 - 12/19/04 at 12:42:06
Post Tools

Well, there have been several books over the last few years.

The first was a big effort by Wells and Osnos on the Richter Rauzer by Batsford and of course Wells has just written the Classical chapter for 'Experts vs. The Siclian'

From a purely Black perspective there is the excellent 'Easy Guide to the Classical Sicilian'  Although the cutting edge theory may be a little out of date, it does give an excellent grounding for he perspective Classical player.

Regards

Paul Hopwood

IP Logged

Nausikaa
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Classical Sicilian books
12/19/04 at 11:57:48
Post Tools
Well, there are a lot of new books about the most popular Sicilian variations (Dragon, Najdorf ...). But are there aslo good books about the Classical Sicilian which you can recommend? I am looking for something that covers the Rchter-Rauser, Velimirovich Attack, Be2 lines etc. from Black's point of view.
Cheers  Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo