Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Lion (Read 4653 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: The Lion
Reply #3 - 01/03/05 at 22:06:01
Post Tools
I believe that the White Lion is even worse than the Black Lion. Dutch IM Paul Boersma analysed in Schakend Nederland nr 6, 1988 (magazine of Dutch chess federation KNSB), the very instructive game Wilder-Lputjan, Dortmund 1988: 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.Ngf3 Nc6 5.c3 a5! 6.Qc2 e5 7.Be2 Be7 (White has two extra tempi compared to the Philidor) 8.h3 o-o 9.g4?! (the typical Lion plan, condemned by Boersma) a4 10.Nf1 d4 11.Ng3 a3! -+. A slight improvement, indicated by Boersma, is 11.a3 Be6 12.c4 Nd7 13.Ng3 Nc5 and again Black's attack is the more dangerous one.
I believe that Lputjan's strategy more or less refutes the Lion with h3 and g4 or h6 and g5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

paardvork
YaBB Newbies

I love Chess

Reply #2 - 01/03/05 at 16:58:56
Post Tools
There is a website about this opening at http://www.thelion.nl/.

After reading the book about The Lion I believed for a while that chess is a forced win for black, but fortunately white can play The Lion too...  Wink

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 12/28/04 at 21:56:28
Post Tools
The Lion is mainly a Philidor Defense with Black avoiding the King's Gambit etc. and permitting independent options like 4.f4 and 4.Be3.
The book was published in Dutch some years ago and is very biased towards Black.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

mogath
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

The Lion
12/27/04 at 17:10:29
Post Tools
Has anyone ever heard of this opening. Starts as:

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nd7

The bishop is not fianchettoed as in the Pirc and it is supposedly played as a Philidor Hanham variation. There used to be a website for this opening, but it has since gone under. There is a book called "The Lion: The Black Weapon by Leo Jannsen and Jerry van Rekom. Any other information on this opening or games or analysis is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Regards,
Jeff

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo