Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 C33: The Fascinating King's Gambit (Read 212150 times)
HARDCORE MASTER
YaBB Newbies

THERE WILL BE NO DAWN
FOR SINNERS

Re: The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #247 - 07/21/06 at 20:27:06
Post Tools
Cool
I do not see a reason why one should abndon KG, a specially a Bishop's KG! Here I see names from the so called "high level chess", such like Tait or Kosten by the way, and I, an amateur, think that in over the board games allways wins the better prepared player... When we speak about a computer chess there are more subtle and almost different conclusions, and because of that we do not have KG games in computer vs computer matches. I do support Mr. Johansson who wrote a KG books and I do have both, and with pleasure I do expect his future releases in this opening. And Mr. Tait, I have seen that your book about KG will apear in Everyman Chess next year. I can hardly wait to see how will you diclose KG and what will be your verdict... I must admitt that I'm a tactical player and I have all Renko's CD's on tactics. With KG I can beat even stronger players cuase theory is very important. As a future Master of Scinece I do feel delight when I must cruse in the ocean in variations which has Mr. Johansson privided for us KG followers. I sincerely hope that in those murky waters of KG lies the truth: and once even Pilatus asked the Iesus Christ: "Quid est veritas?", or in plain English: "What is the truth?". Thanks Mr. Johansson and Mr. Tait, I do love chess thanks to the KG, please keep develop it!!!

HARDCORE TECHNO MUSIC - A PATH TO ACCELERATED BRAINDISTORTION - MY RESURRECTION

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #246 - 07/20/06 at 15:51:27
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/20/06 at 00:46:15:
TalJechin wrote on 05/25/05 at 02:54:10:
Hebden is still on my favourite KG-players list (I think I've seen somewhere that it was he who taught Gallagher the KG, as a result of paying off a poker debt?!  

Mark has just assured me that it was, in fact, a backgammon debt! Smiley

he told me I should give it up because it lost a pawn Smiley

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #245 - 07/20/06 at 00:46:15
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 05/25/05 at 02:54:10:
Hebden is still on my favourite KG-players list (I think I've seen somewhere that it was he who taught Gallagher the KG, as a result of paying off a poker debt?!  

Mark has just assured me that it was, in fact, a backgammon debt! Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #244 - 07/18/06 at 11:59:13
Post Tools
SorenJensen wrote on 07/15/06 at 09:04:55:
Looking at the list of contents of the July issue of Chess (UK) one notes "Farewell to the Kings Gambit: so let it RIP".

Who's the author and what's the reason for  this gloomy title?

It's a five page review of the FKG by Stephen Berry. To sum it up quickly, the message is: good book, bad opening. Though personally I didn't see anything that would scare me off the ol' KG.
- Former Kgeers and corrplayers are usually more negative about the KG (and most other tactical openings).

Anyway, I won't get into another 'pros and cons of the KG'-discussion, as we've had them too many times already. Let everyone make up his/her own mind.

IP Logged

SorenJensen

The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #243 - 07/15/06 at 09:04:55
Post Tools
Looking at the list of contents of the July issue of Chess (UK) one notes "Farewell to the Kings Gambit: so let it RIP".

Who's the author and what's the reason for  this gloomy title?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #242 - 07/12/06 at 10:09:48
Post Tools
I don't believe that spending time analysing an opening one plays could ever be a waste of time!

You may not find an objective advantage (I doubt there is one in all major openings...) but one develops an understanding and skill that is quite useful both for handling the KG and discovering new ideas and that skill can often be useful in other f-pawn openings as well, e.g. the Grand Prix Attack or The Dutch Defence (especially vs white's early deviations).

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #241 - 07/12/06 at 09:47:09
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 07/12/06 at 09:43:20:
Well, if you never look for an advantage how would you know if it's there or not?!  Wink

through hundreds of wasted hours looking for one Wink

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #240 - 07/12/06 at 09:43:20
Post Tools
Quote:
I have this book Smiley

but I prefer your earlier one Thomas.

Mainly because such in depth analysis, although admirable, is a bit irrelevant in the King's Gambit I think. There is no advantage to be found for White in the King's Gambit, so looking for one is ultimately a depressing endeavour. It's much more pertinent just to find little ideas, things to try out in actual games and have fun. Analysing them in depth rather defeats the point I think.

Well, if you never look for an advantage how would you know if it's there or not?!  Wink

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #239 - 07/11/06 at 15:05:30
Post Tools
I have this book Smiley

but I prefer your earlier one Thomas.

Mainly because such in depth analysis, although admirable, is a bit irrelevant in the King's Gambit I think. There is no advantage to be found for White in the King's Gambit, so looking for one is ultimately a depressing endeavour. It's much more pertinent just to find little ideas, things to try out in actual games and have fun. Analysing them in depth rather defeats the point I think.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #238 - 04/15/06 at 02:30:49
Post Tools
Finallty the FKG is also available in The Netherlands:

http://www.debestezet.nl/

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #237 - 03/19/06 at 17:59:19
Post Tools
Thomas Stock had an interesting site on gambits a few years back. But it has disappeared into an electronic Walhalla without leaving a trace. This site contained interesting information on the Kings Gambit , especially the Muzio.... He tried both to trace the history of this variation, provide new analysis and organised email-thema-tournaments. Most of the games of these tournaments have been saved by Tim Harding on his Mega-Correspondence-CD.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #236 - 03/18/06 at 15:04:30
Post Tools
Quote:
Dear all,

It seems to me from the lines given above and even from the absence of lines given by TJ (Qe2? but where?), that he made the right choice when writing about the Bishop Gambit.

Regards,
                                                                               Hubert

Well, by now I thought everyone here knew my site, with all it's weird colours and pop-ups - but I suppose there will always be someone lagging behind the rest of the class...  Wink

So, here's a direct link to the KG section of my site (most of the stuff there has been there for years...) - click on 'No Bust' for Levin's Qe2 idea, and as said above: be prepared for a few pop ups and ghastly colour choices. And if the diagrams should look weird, try updating the frame with the article.

http://hem.passagen.se/tjmisha/kg_index.html

IP Logged

Uberdeker(Guest)

Reply #235 - 03/18/06 at 13:03:32
Post Tools
Dear all,

It seems to me from the lines given above and even from the absence of lines given by TJ (Qe2? but where?), that he made the right choice when writing about the Bishop Gambit.

Regards,
                                                                               Hubert

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #234 - 03/17/06 at 19:10:04
Post Tools
On my site I have an article on an idea of Levin's, an early Qe2 iirc. Other than that, I don't worry about 3...d6 anymore...  Smiley

Actually, I had a game in Hastings 2003 that went similarly to the Fischer main line via the Bishop's Gambit - but with the nice difference that instead of the non moves Ng1-f3-g1 I got both d4 and Nc3 in. Wink

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #233 - 03/17/06 at 16:56:44
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/17/06 at 01:35:36:
.5.d4 g5 5.h4 g4 6.Ng1 is the most popular variation, but I don't think I can recommend it......because I've come to feel that it's against the spirit of the King's Gambit."
I fully agree with the second part of this statement and have always found 4.Nc3 interesting: g5 5.d4 or if a draw is not really a problem 5.h4.

I fully agree with TJ & MNb's sentiments. Its precisely because of this that is really tempting me to get both the Creative Aggressor & the FKG......to either learn alternative lines against the Fischer defense or to avoid it altogether by learning to play 3.Bc4 instead. TJ's recommendation of 5.b3 is my preference to 5.d3 as the latter looks  somewhat tame (psychological block p'haps, since ive always hated playing d3 moves as white in other openings. ive always believed in the e4-d4 pawn ctr)

I wonder if TJ has any other new ideas against the Fischer defense since the creative aggressor.....I would be interested to know them. MNb's 4.Nc3 looks interesting too.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo