Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 C33: The Fascinating King's Gambit (Read 251893 times)
HARDCORE MASTER
YaBB Newbies

THERE WILL BE NO DAWN
FOR SINNERS

Re: The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #196 - 02/15/06 at 14:44:37
Post Tools
Angry
The Johannson's new book becomes good critics so far and I do no doubt in quality of his work. Be at the end I want to have a review form CARSTEN HANSEN, the best and sharp reviewer from Chesscafe, in his column CHECKPOINT.
His verdict will be final and I hope that he will review this book.

HARDCORE TECHNO MUSIC - A PATH TO ACCELERATED BRAINDISTORTION - MY RESURRECTION

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #195 - 02/12/06 at 16:44:50
Post Tools
Thanks Trolletje, you spotted it before I did!  Smiley

It seems that Watson has really been burning the midnight oil for the last year to offer optimal enlightenment to prospective buyers...  Roll Eyes  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Trolletje
YaBB Newbies

Reply #194 - 02/11/06 at 18:04:25
Post Tools
Watson at TWIC (review #72) on Johansson's FKG:
"Thomas Johansson's repertoire book The Fascinating King's Gambit is published by Trafford, a Print-on-Demand company for self-publishing authors. It's a little sloppy-looking, but that generally doesn't bother me in books and it has everything you need to know to play 1.e4 e5 2.f4, assuming that you are happy with the main line 2...exf4 3.Bc4. I've personally looked at various whacky ideas "the Westerinen Gambit" (1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Nc3 c6 5.d4!?) and here the critical 5.Bb3 d5 6.exd5 cxd5 7.d4. Of course you have to trust the main lines beginning with 3...Qh4+ 4.Kf1. I believe that the latter poses less threat to White's ambitions than the former, and both sides have issues to solve in the King's Gambit Declined (2...Bc5). Johansson's is another book that a student of mine is absorbed in, and potentially provides you with a way to avoid the near-infinite theory of the Spanish Game."

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #193 - 02/10/06 at 10:50:21
Post Tools
SorenJensen wrote on 02/10/06 at 08:43:47:
Hey Thomas,

I liked the look of the SilverSurfer gambit in your latest ouvre. Has anything come up lately which spoils the fun?

Cheers, Soren

Hej Sören,

so far I don't remember seeing any important games with the SilverSurfer, but C33 seems to be rising in TWiC lately so maybe it takes a year to go through the book?!  Smiley

IP Logged

SorenJensen

The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #192 - 02/10/06 at 08:43:47
Post Tools
Hey Thomas,

I liked the look of the SilverSurfer gambit in your latest ouvre. Has anything come up lately which spoils the fun?

Cheers, Soren

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #191 - 02/07/06 at 09:13:49
Post Tools
Quote:
Hello!

Somewhat surprised about an earlier comment, I thought the book was doing well regarding sales... Pity, possibly, it was not edited by Gambit, that would have helped a lot and make it slightly cheaper.

Gambit's books are normally excellent, but they have also tried some crappy manuscripts. Well, I guess guessing if a book will sale well is an ardous task!

I guess it all depends how many copies you thought was worth your effort...

Well, the main reason is probably 'lack of promotion', considering the current wave of new chessbooks every month... Still publicationwise, je ne regrette rien!  Smiley

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #190 - 02/06/06 at 10:12:24
Post Tools
The last line should read 'your effort was worth...' Sorry, could not edit the message...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun(Guest)

Reply #189 - 02/06/06 at 10:09:08
Post Tools
Hello!

Somewhat surprised about an earlier comment, I thought the book was doing well regarding sales... Pity, possibly, it was not edited by Gambit, that would have helped a lot and make it slightly cheaper.

Gambit's books are normally excellent, but they have also tried some crappy manuscripts. Well, I guess guessing if a book will sale well is an ardous task!

I guess it all depends how many copies you thought was worth your effort...

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #188 - 02/05/06 at 21:30:31
Post Tools
richardpitts wrote on 02/05/06 at 20:48:03:
One question: Is there anything wrong with 2...Qh4 against the King's Gambit? I've looked at it as Black and can't see anything obviously bad. Good luck with the book!  Smiley

Well, basically it's unharmonic, as black's Qe7 will be in the way of his other forces. In blitz it's not too bad since both sides make mistakes, and if you get a rotten position you won't have to suffer more than a few minutes anyway...  Wink

I think black plays it because he hopes white will over reach in trying to crush him. While the more laid back line I advocate often see black self destruct by opening up the position prematurely.

Here's an example from one of my blitz games, one of my few blitz games I actually almost remember - at least the final position!  Smiley

(TJ) (2367) - (NN) (2530) [C30]
Rated game, 3m + 0s Main Playing Hall, 15.12.2004

1.e4 e5 2.f4 Qh4+ 3.g3 Qe7 4.d3 d5 5.fxe5 dxe4 6.dxe4 Qxe5 7.Nf3 Qxe4+ 8.Be2 Bc5 9.Nc3 Qe7 10.Bg5 f6 11.Bf4 Be6 12.Nd5 Bxd5 13.Qxd5 c6 14.Qb3 Na6 15.0-0-0 Nb4 16.Rhe1 Kf8 17.Bc4  1-0

IP Logged

richardpitts
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #187 - 02/05/06 at 20:48:03
Post Tools
One question: Is there anything wrong with 2...Qh4 against the King's Gambit? I've looked at it as Black and can't see anything obviously bad. Good luck with the book!  Smiley

IP Logged

Warren(Guest)

Reply #186 - 02/05/06 at 18:57:03
Post Tools
What's going on!!! Let me know!!! gsmith174@cox.net

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #185 - 02/04/06 at 16:30:33
Post Tools
Well, perhaps some clarity. In the present thread discussions on old an new topics are woven together.
It becomes increasingly difficult to find the way as the number of contributions increases.
In new threads you could start to summarize in the first post what we've learned in the discussion so far on a single topic; and start the new discussion from there.

Greetings, Micawber.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #184 - 02/04/06 at 16:02:59
Post Tools
Well, perhaps..  Undecided

However, the new thread might just become full of questions and replies referring back to this one - and then what have we gained?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #183 - 02/04/06 at 15:44:52
Post Tools
Taljechin,

No offense meant. But isn't it time we started a new KG thread after 180+ contributions
and more than 7000 views.
Perhaps call it  The Fascinating KG - the bloodchilling sequel  Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #182 - 02/02/06 at 14:32:28
Post Tools
Thanks, the sales could use some luck!

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo