Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Saragossa (Read 12128 times)
alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: Saragossa
Reply #8 - 01/21/05 at 03:30:04
Post Tools
Well, we won't cast you out from Olympus just yet ... but I have been trying to tell you for months that no good can come of these early thrusts with the f-pawn  Tongue
(This from someone who is seriously considering taking up the King's Gambit Shocked )

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 01/20/05 at 21:39:07
Post Tools
"a total blunder"
Even gods are fallible. What is worse, I simply believed you without checking.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #6 - 01/20/05 at 17:56:14
Post Tools
I've located the articles in "The Myers Openings Bulletin" and will start searching for relevant material. (Incidentally, while researching 1.c3, I noticed an article by L.Day on 1.e4 c5 2.a3 from 1993.   This variation is being discussed in the "Anti-Sicilians" section right now.  Never get rid of your old material!)

One quick note now is that my (after 1.c3 f5 2.e4 fxe4 3.d3) 3...e5 is a total blunder because of the obvious 4.Qh5+.  The correct move order is 3...Nf6 4.dxe4 e5!.

I'll check to see if anything was recommended after 1.c3 e6.  I don't think anyone ever really thought White could fight for an egde with 1.c3, but it can lead to interesting dynamic (and at least equal) play if one is creative enough.  What does White play after 1.c3 c6?  Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 01/20/05 at 15:47:17
Post Tools
Haven't thought of this. One should probably compare 1.c3 f5 2.e4 fxe4 3.d3 e5 4.dxe4 Nf6 (or Nf6 4.dxe4 e5) with the KGD. At one hand the early exchange fxe4 rules out some options, at the other hand the pawn on c3 is not very useful.
What about 1.c3 e6 intending 2...f5 ?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/20/05 at 06:46:32
Post Tools
I would think of it more as a From's gamibt with the extra move ...c6 opening up another diagonal for the queen (1.f4 e5 with Black already having played ...c6).  I don't think, however, that we really proved an advantage for White after 1.c3 f5 2.e4 fxe4 3.d3 e5! although play was interesting.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 01/20/05 at 05:35:52
Post Tools
I am curious to that analysis, but my first impression is that White is playing a bad version of the Staunton Gambit. I mean, whoever thinks 1.d4 e6 2.c3 f5 3.e4 dangerous for Black?

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/19/05 at 21:26:57
Post Tools
I remember a long time ago in the "Myer's Openings Bulletin" it was suggested that after 1.c3 f5, White might do well with 2.e4!?.  I remember I contributed to this analysis but if you can get a hold of it you might want to look at it anyway.  I recall GM Rogers had tried 1.c3 and 2.e4 but preferred another method against 1...f5.  I'll try and look this up.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 01/19/05 at 20:58:28
Post Tools
1.c3 is a superfluous move after f5! followed by the Iljin-Zjenevsky setup, which in this case is stronger than the Leningrad.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Saragossa
01/19/05 at 15:27:29
Post Tools
For much too long, I had a deep infatuation with 1 c3 (I finally managed to kick the habit about ten or twelve years ago).  I have very few of my games recorded from that period, but I recall that I deliberately avoided transposing into the Colle, often finding myself in problematic reversed Old Indians and Pircs.  Does 1 c3 have any virtues outside of being a (rather useless) transpositional tool?  Does anyone play it?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo