Latest Updates:
Normal Topic For Alumbrado: The Austrian Attack (Read 3105 times)
alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: For Alumbrado: The Austrian Attack
Reply #7 - 01/28/05 at 12:06:01
Post Tools
Oh and for MNb's benefit: you could always try 6.Bd3 Nc6 7.e5!? - that is one of the lines causing Black some trouble at the moment (I don't like the whole ...Nc6 plan as it happens).

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 01/28/05 at 12:03:48
Post Tools
Well, at time of writing, just before I log off, it looks as if it has not gone very well for Sasha: at the very best he is going to scrape a draw in a bad rook ending.  Still, there are probably improvements in there somewhere. 

Kramnik's play looked very strong though - Black seemed to have plenty of compensation for the exchange but Vlad broke him down on the kingside with disturbing ease.

I was not worried before, about 6.e5 - now I don't know whether this is *another* Austrian line I need to worry about.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #5 - 01/28/05 at 08:42:42
Post Tools
I wonder what we should make of the opening of the game Kramnik-Grischuk at Wijk aan Zee today: 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Nf3 c5 6.e5.

Several things to note here:

• Kramnik plays the Austrian Attack (I am not sure I have seen him face a Pirc since he 'converted' to 1.e4) rather than the Be3 lines;

• Grischuk goes for the immediate 5...c5 rather than 5...0-0; and

• Kramnik does not go in for the main lines with 6.Bb5† or 6.dxc5 (or MNb's 6.d5!?).

I make no judgment on that.  It is quite possible, that Kramnik fears some Grischuk preparation in those main lines.  Has Grischuk got a track record of playing the Pirc?!  Maybe I should take another look at it myself - ah, the sweet smell of renewed hope ...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 01/27/05 at 21:51:51
Post Tools
After 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Nf3 c5 6.d5 o-o 7.Bd3 e6 8.dxe6 fxe6 (Bxe6 9.o-o Nc6 10.f5) 9.o-o Nc6 10.Kh1 went pretty well for White: a6 11.e5 dxe5 12.fxe5 Ng4 13.Bg5 Gligoric-Kottnauer, Hastings 1968 and I suppose Qb6 is an improvement, but still rather dangerous after the simple 14.Rb1.

I have played the AA once as White and was disappointed about my chances after 6.Bd3 Nc6 7.o-o e5 8.dxe5 dxe5 9.f5 gxf5 10.exf5 e4! 11.Nxe4 Bxf5. The main line 8.fxe5 dxe5 9.d5 Nd4 10.Nxe5 Nxe4 (or even Nxd5) with almost all the centre pawns exchanged at such an early stage does not appeal to me either.

Alas I do not have recent NIC yearbooks available. But I suppose most Black Pirc players do not mind to meet 5...c5 6.dxc5 as the strong 17...f5! of the main line as in Kindermann-Gurevitsj, Haifa Echt 1989 and many others, blocks White's attack completely.
Having said this, I have found back the transposition 5...o-o 6.Be3 c5 7.dxc5 Qa5 8.Bd3 Ng4 9.Bd2 Qxc5 10.Qe2 Nf6 11.Be3.  Nunn/McNab combined with a database survey should tell Black how to deal with the deviations 11.o-o-o and 8.Qd2.
Here Black has also the preparatory 6...b6, which "leads to very sharp and unbalanced positions, but on the available evidence Black need not be overawed by White's pawn centre."
All in all this has brought me to the conclusion, that 4.Be3 is more dangerous than 4.f4.
But with Alumbrado I am happy to be corrected.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/27/05 at 09:16:12
Post Tools
I had the impression that in the 5...0-0 line, 9. f5! was a big problem. In the 5... c5 line, White can choose between many promising continuations... even the simple 6. dc5 poses Black problems iirc (see recent NIC yearbook, i think the one with moro on the cover).

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #2 - 01/27/05 at 09:05:11
Post Tools
By the way, I really ought to say how flattered I am that you have started a thread "for" me Smiley  Maybe one day when your pet Ilyin-Zhenevsky is on its death bed, I will do the same for you ...  Tongue

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 01/27/05 at 09:03:39
Post Tools
Hmm ... I am still playing this with Black despite my reservations, so I am rather unwilling to publish the reasons for these!  I will just say that I don't agree that Black equalises in the 6.Bd3 Nc6 line and that in any case 6.Be3 is probably better.  I might be lured into expanding at some stage - perhaps when I have decided how to fill the gaping void in my repertoire that abandoning the Pirc (at least unless White is committed to Nf3) would leave ...

On statement 1, I also think the transposition is favourable for Black as he is not yet committed to ...Na6 (as after 5.f4 0-0 6.Bd3 Na6 7.0-0 c5 8.d5).  The difference is that if White plays dxe6 in response to Black's ...e6, the knight can go to c6.  It is an important dfference, I thought, but am happy to be corrected.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

For Alumbrado: The Austrian Attack
01/27/05 at 08:49:34
Post Tools
Some ten years ago, I considered to take up the Austrian Attack against the Pirc. But I came to the conclusion - with the help of Nunn/McNab's Ultimate Pirc - that Black could equalize with 5...o-o. So my opinions on the AA seem to differ greatly from those of chesspub's expert Alumbrado; time for a debate.
Statement 1: 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Nf3 c5 6.d5! transposing to the Schmid-Benoni is good for White.

Statement 2: 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.f4 Bg7 5.Nf3 o-o 6.Bd3 Nc6 and 6.Be2 c5 equalize.

Statement 3: On 6.Be3 I am not so sure.

So Alumbrado (and others), where is Black's problem in the Austrian Attack?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo