Latest Updates:
Normal Topic sicilian defense, Pelikan (Read 3379 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: sicilian defense, Pelikan
Reply #8 - 05/26/05 at 10:49:14
Post Tools
5.. e5 followed by Be6 without a6 and b5 would make it a pelikan.
5.. e5, 6.. d6 7.. a6 8.. b5 would make it a Svesjnikow or whatever variation on the spelling.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

midnight
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 05/25/05 at 06:37:05
Post Tools
Hi jon g  Smiley
  Thanks for all the info why not use eric schiller's books I have several of them now? I am a book user. Now I'll
use chess lab for my learning of openings. as for double king pawn openings. I play the Ruy Lopez, Scotch, 2 knights, and 4 knights defenses. evans gambit etc. I just watched a GM player Alexandra Kosteniuk several months ago, blow away one of her opponents.

IP Logged

midnight
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 05/25/05 at 06:15:59
Post Tools
Hi Basqueknight Smiley
Thanks for the information about the Sicillian defense, Pelikan. Smiley

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/25/05 at 00:27:21
Post Tools
I am of the other side of the equation my self. If you like the sicilian not because of the name but because it ifits your style then go for it. And I ask every expert and master or amature who is this whole forum has mastered double kings pawn openings. If any of you raise your hands i want some proof. And if you have why do you play other things!

I am no master of double Queens pawn openings yet i Play a Kings Indian. Not because of its name but because the positions that arise from it are wild and full of tactics! That why I like the Sicilian. Hell if i were to ever play any opening for its name alone it would have to be somthing of a Basque Attack or Basque Defense!

If you like to study openings go for it too. I mean how else are you going to understand the ideas of your opening with out reading about it! Going over master games is always good as well.

If you really want to improve your play go over 100 games from each of the world champions this is an excelant way to improve. And who knows maybe after you are done with Steinitz you will be a master of double kings pawn openings! Probley not though.

IP Logged

jon g

Reply #4 - 04/17/05 at 13:00:13
Post Tools
dont learn the opening soley from theory via eco, nco, and especially anything from eric schiller's books if he even has one on this variation.  usually blacks developement after e5 is a6, b5, and if bishop takes on f6 then f5, ill leave it up to you to figure out where your dark squared bishop.  Also there is a piece sacrifice white can do to create compications. reading alot of books on openings is silly.   sure you can match openings with masters, Im, even Gms.  once you are out of your little line you're screwed.  Try to understand the positional and tactical themes.  Look at square control!  This applies to anything you play.  You also say you are a novice.  You should not even play king pawn defences like the sicilian until you have mastered double king pawn openings.  The sicilian sounds like a sweet name, and i know alot of name droppers out there who play the french, sicilians, kings indian because they have heard the name and they like the opening because of the name.  stick to 1. e4 e5 learn open postions.  play with f7 attacks and pins on f7.  think for yourself for a while.  if you read anything look at endgame studies first look at rook and king and pawn.  get to the point where you know which pawn to move so your majority is useful.  in rook ending you will learn something called building a bridge and checking distance.   anyone can start from a postion that everyone else has started at.  finishing a completely new one is where the skill is.

IP Logged

jon g

Reply #3 - 04/17/05 at 12:59:52
Post Tools
dont learn the opening soley from theory via eco, nco, and especially anything from eric schiller's books if he even has one on this variation.  usually blacks developement after e5 is a6, b5, and if bishop takes on f6 then f5, ill leave it up to you to figure out where your dark squared bishop.  Also there is a piece sacrifice white can do to create compications. reading alot of books on openings is silly.   sure you can match openings with masters, Im, even Gms.  once you are out of your little line you're screwed.  Try to understand the positional and tactical themes.  Look at square control!  This applies to anything you play.  You also say you are a novice.  You should not even play king pawn defences like the sicilian until you have mastered double king pawn openings.  The sicilian sounds like a sweet name, and i know alot of name droppers out there who play the french, sicilians, kings indian because they have heard the name and they like the opening because of the name.  stick to 1. e4 e5 learn open postions.  play with f7 attacks and pins on f7.  think for yourself for a while.  if you read anything look at endgame studies first look at rook and king and pawn.  get to the point where you know which pawn to move so your majority is useful.  in rook ending you will learn something called building a bridge and checking distance.   anyone can start from a postion that everyone else has started at.  finishing a completely new one is where the skill is.

IP Logged

midnight
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 01/30/05 at 20:29:39
Post Tools
Hi SmileyHgMan,

Thank you for the Information. As you may know from my question. I am a rookie with this opening.  Smiley

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #1 - 01/30/05 at 19:48:04
Post Tools
Umm?!  Don't you need to play 5 ... e5 to turn it into a Pelikan?  Lots of theory on this line, readily available throughout this forum as well as a growing number of books.  It might be worth looking under Sveshnikov and Kalashnikov for ideas as well.

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

midnight
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

sicilian defense, Pelikan
01/30/05 at 17:46:05
Post Tools
I am playing the sicilian for a while as black usually the Sozin Defense, and want to learn te Pelikan
defense.
Does anyone here play the Pelikan Defense as Black?
1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4... Pelikan Variation cxd4 4.
Nxd4 Nf6 what is the best continuation after White's next move 5. Nc3? Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo