Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pirc books? (Read 2278 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Pirc books?
Reply #3 - 02/13/05 at 05:39:00
Post Tools
I remember that I was very disappointed when I got my copy of Pirc Alert a few years back, lots of pointers for low rateds and some TNs thrown in, but the range between these two opposites wasn't covered much. It felt strange looking in a theory book and not get an idea of how the theory as a whole looks - especially considering the size & price of it!

Nunn/McNab or Nunn's earlier works on the Pirc are quite OK and very informative, though it's been a while since I looked at these.

A book I really liked is Norwood's Winning with the Modern, it's probably even more dated than Nunn/McNab, but still a good read I think, if it's still in print...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 02/12/05 at 22:32:12
Post Tools
I have already written a few times, that especially on the Be3/Qd2 systems the Nunn/McNab book is not so ultimate, not even on 1998 standards.
Still it is the best encyclopedean book I know on the Pirc, the Robatsch and the Modern/Gurgenidze Defences.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/12/05 at 21:03:39
Post Tools
Gallagher's Starting Out: Pirc/Modern is a must-buy whether you are starting out in the Pirc or not.

Alburt is good for explaining the key ideas of the Pirc. It's the only opening book that devotes so many pages to themes arising from the opening. However, I think Gallagher is just as good in this area using much less pages. From where I come from, Gallagher is also half the price of Alburt. So it's a no-brainer which one to choose.

Nunn/McNab is one of the most wordless (and hence boring) opening book I've ever seen. Only for the advanced player who already knows the main ideas and wants to check theory.

The problem is that both Nunn/McNab and Alburt are slightly dated. They don't cover new developments in the Classical/h3 Pirc, 4. Bg5 and Austrian. This is not too serious and both are still good. But I would hesitate paying full price for either, especially the Alburt which costs a bomb.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Pirc books?
02/12/05 at 09:42:11
Post Tools
Can anyone evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of Nunn & McNab's The Ultimate Pirc and Lev Alburt's Pirc Alert! ?

Are there other books on the Pirc that warrant a look?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo