Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Books and the london System ? (Read 18388 times)
saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Re: Books and the london System ?
Reply #25 - 02/21/09 at 16:22:38
Post Tools
I have been playing London for the last 1 yr or so. I think if black know how to play (just a few ideas & moves), white gets absolutely zero advantage out of the oepning. In fact some lines, black actually presses for edge.

But in reality that hardly happens. They typically do not try to play for e6-e5 by overattacking the e5 square. They castle too early. If white gets a free hand in the kingside, it suddenly looks dangerous.

I have been wining 70+% games but will still go back to 2.c4 as I know in normal tournament I won't have this easy outing. Its good from time to time, especialy when a draw won't cost you too much.

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #24 - 02/20/09 at 18:22:35
Post Tools
A few months ago I spent a bit of time finding the available sources for "the London System" opening. They are listed in e3 Before ...e6 in the Colle Zukertore or not
in this Forum.

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 07/03/08 at 23:37:49
Post Tools
Sylvester wrote on 07/03/08 at 22:50:43:
Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings by Gary Lane, 2002, explains how to use the London System in a white repertoire.

Funny that this old thread should surface again!

I thought the main point of an opening like the London system is that you don't really need to read a book to be able to play it!  Grin

More seriously, this was my review of:

Win with the London System, by Sverre Johnsen and Vlatko Kovacevic, GAMBIT Publications Ltd. (http://www.gambitbooks.com), 176 large pages £14.99
It is unusual for GAMBIT to publish a book on a non-mainstream opening, so I was quite interested to see what might have led them to issue this work on what is generally regarded as a rather tedious and unambitious line for White. For a start, the pairing of the authors is unusual: the Norwegian Johnsen is what we Brits used call a “county-level” player, current FIDE rating 2162 – the book was his idea, and he has done most of the donkey-work; his co-author Kovacevic is a Croatian GM and an acknowledged expert on this opening – he helped select and analyse the illustrative games and helped “finish” the product.

Originally the name London System referred specifically to a solid set-up against the King’s Indian played several times at the London 1922 tournament; it was soon overtaken by more aggressive approaches with White, but London System became the accepted name given to the white opening scheme involving the moves d4 and an early Bf4, usually in connection with an unambitious deployment of the c-pawn to c3 (rather than c4) and the e-pawn to e3 (rather than e4).

The traditional move order, following Lasker’s precept of “knights before bishops, is 1 d4, 2 Nf3, 3 Bf4; the finesse advocated in this book is first to develop the “London bishop”, on the second move (which is known in some circles as the Mason Attack). It is claimed (page 65)  that there are some advantages to this; for example it enables White to answer the otherwise annoying 2...c5 with 1 d4 d5 2 Bf4 c5 3 e4!? dxe4 4 d5, resulting in an Albin Counter Gambit Reversed (!) with a useful extra tempo for White. I should add that this sharp line is far from typical of the system generally, the strategy of which is characterised (page 12) as one of “central control rather than central activity”.

The format of the book is unusual; the first large section consists of thirty illustrative games, designed to explain the basics and give a feel for the main features of the system; after each game there is a short summary entitled “Lessons to be learned” – I liked this feature very much. There follows a detailed “Analytical Section” (pages 63-173). As far as I can tell, all reasonable Black set-ups against the London system are covered. Thus the book combines the features of the traditional GAMBIT “tree” approach with EVERYMAN’s preferred “complete games” format. The material is indexed by player and variation and the usual high production values of GAMBIT books are evident. The text reads well and I believe the whole package should appeal not only to club players but also to stronger players, for instance those with limited study time or who need a solid second-string for White.

Verdict: a model exposition of a sound and practical, albeit rather unambitious, opening system for White. Highly recommended. *****

Here's one of my favourite thematic London system games from the young Susan Polgar. Black gets crushed in very brutal but instructive fashion, with a beautiful and unusual tactical idea hidden at move 13.

[Event "San Bernardino"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "1987.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Polgar, Susan"]
[Black "Schaffarth, Peter"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "D02"]
[PlyCount "31"]
[EventDate "1987.??.??"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 3. Bf4 c5 4. e3 d5 5. c3 Be7 6. Nbd2 O-O 7. Bd3 b6 8. Ne5
Bb7 9. Qf3 Nbd7 10. Qh3 Re8 11. Rd1 c4 12. Bc2 b5 13. Ndf3 g6 14. Nxf7 Qb6 15.
Bxg6 Rf8 16. N3g5 1-0

After her move 13 White was threatening the beautiful 14 Nxf7! Kxf7 15 Qxe6+!! Kxe6 16 Ng5 mate (or 15...Kf8 16 Nf7 with mate to follow.)

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #22 - 07/03/08 at 22:50:43
Post Tools
Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings by Gary Lane, 2002, explains how to use the London System in a white repertoire.

IP Logged

Nods and Winks

Reply #21 - 11/17/05 at 19:59:12
Post Tools
Amazon is finally selling the book on the London System. It was a long wait for that book but I hope its worth it.  Shocked

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #20 - 09/26/05 at 14:09:41
Post Tools
Well...

It is obviously written in a hurry with the main part cut from Gambit's own ads. It may not even be very informative. But the spelling mistakes verifies that it is indeed an authentic review  Grin .

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #19 - 09/26/05 at 11:05:22
Post Tools
Quote:
The first (I assume) review has already arrived:
http://www.iecg.org/reviews/london.htm

Review!????
Well, it looks like this has been written by the publisher GAMBIT themselves... Wink

At least it shows that the book is just around the corner Smiley

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #18 - 09/26/05 at 06:11:00
Post Tools
The first (I assume) review has already arrived:
http://www.iecg.org/reviews/london.htm

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #17 - 09/11/05 at 11:44:10
Post Tools
regarding
http://www.badbishop.com/gambit/books/london.html

I read the paragraph with comments to 4. Nf3 on page 131 several times without being able to follow the moves and logic in the text  Angry

After reading it again some days later I finally understood that it was the unusual (at least for me) way of showing other sequences that transposes to the same posistion.... Tongue

Hopefully this is not a common problem with the book.

IP Logged

Nods and Winks

Reply #16 - 08/29/05 at 12:13:47
Post Tools
I just recently found out that GM Andrew Soltis published a book, quite some time back, of 180 pages devoted to the London System. It appears to be a very hard to find item. I believe I saw it for sale at abebooks for the paupery sum of $95.00 !!!!

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #15 - 08/25/05 at 02:39:07
Post Tools

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #14 - 08/22/05 at 08:03:24
Post Tools
Gambit now has an index and a sample for downloading.
(and the book appears to be available in September as already announced by Amazon)

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #13 - 08/12/05 at 00:10:03
Post Tools
I assume the Batsford book must be Harding's 1979 book "London, Colle and Blackmar Diemer Systems". I used to have it, but someone has been borrowing it for the last 20 years.  Cry It's not at all a bad book, but a little light on details and obviously quite dated.

IP Logged

Nods and Winks

Reply #12 - 08/11/05 at 09:21:36
Post Tools
Embarrassed I got email from Amazon the other day which stated that Bellin's book on the London has been cancelled. I did purchase a book on the London, Colle, BDG published by Batsford (I think, in the 80s) which seemed to be worthwhile. Kovacevic's book appears to be ready for September.

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #11 - 07/22/05 at 08:09:36
Post Tools
Well...you can still order the figment at Amazon.com.  Roll Eyes They announce 4-6 weeks shipping time, but that's not bad at all for an imagined object.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo