Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Staunton gambit - need information (Read 3277 times)
Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Re: Staunton gambit - need information
Reply #6 - 03/11/05 at 16:12:41
Post Tools
Black must play exact in the Staunton, true. But if he knows some theory (or at least has some feeling for the position), White has for sure the worse side of the game.

If somebody plays me 2.e4 I am very, very glad. In internet games I get often the Staunton and I score over 85 % against it. The Staunton is the best thing, White can do for a Dutch-player.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #5 - 03/11/05 at 05:34:55
Post Tools
Well, as we're mentioning old books probably out of print Wink - my first source on the Dutch Defense was  by Christiansen & Silman from 1989, it also covers the entire DD, (except for the Krause - which is probably only mentioned in Kaissiber) in 217 pages, single columned but still not too space wasting. Dated of course, but still a good introduction to the DD as a whole...

Their verdict on the Staunton: [it] 'offers equality at best. Black has excellent chances of scoring a win.' - this may not be what Staunton aficionados want to hear, but I think it's a concise suming up of how Dutch aficionados feel! Cheesy

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #4 - 03/11/05 at 05:26:38
Post Tools
Who's up for a count of posts where MnB makes reference to Schwarz?

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 03/11/05 at 04:48:27
Post Tools
I had an uncanny feeling that Messrs Taimanov and Schwarz would get a mention in this thread ...  Wink

Perhaps clairvoyance is one of my God-like powers? Shocked

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 20:19:02
Post Tools
Yes. The last neutral authors were Taimanov (12 pages in his 1980 book) and Schwarz (45 pages in his 1964 book). I also recall Meulders writing some surveys in NIC yearbooks, but he did not trust White's play either.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/10/05 at 12:29:26
Post Tools
Many if not all of the recent books on the Dutch has a section on the Staunton gambit. They're always written from black's perspective, though.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Antonos
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Staunton gambit - need information
03/10/05 at 11:52:47
Post Tools
Hi all,

I am looking for resources on Staunton gambit (1.d4 f5 2 e4).  Can anyone recommend good books, CDs, analyses on the web etc dealing with this variation?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo