Latest Updates:
Normal Topic A viabl way to avoid the exchange QGD? (Read 1684 times)
M.Nb

Re: A viabl way to avoid the exchange QGD?
Reply #2 - 04/05/05 at 20:34:25
Post Tools
What is exactly your question? You want to know how to evaluate 6...cxd5 ?
I think White has a good version of the Slav Exchange. I would begin with 7.e3, 8.Bd3 and now 9.Qc2 or 9.Rc1 and eventually 10.Bb1 and 11.Qc2.
Black has to beware of two White plans: an invasion along the c-line and a kingside attack with pieces.

a) I do not think there is much wrong with the bishop on g5.
b) White will play Ne5 if he can continue with f4 (Pillsbury plan).
c) White can deny c4 to the Black knight with b2-b3.
d) In the Slav Exchange proper Black has no problems playing Bf5.

IP Logged

Arthur I

Re: A viabl way to avoid the exchange QGD?
Reply #1 - 04/05/05 at 15:08:30
Post Tools
Of course, I am unable to post notation without screwing it up somehow. Point c should read
c.If it ever becomes availabe the knight can reach a juicy c4 square just as easily as when it starts out on c6.

IP Logged

Arthur I

A viabl way to avoid the exchange QGD?
04/05/05 at 15:06:19
Post Tools
1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 e6 4.Nc3 Nf6 5.Bg5 Nd7 6.xd5 cxd5

What is everyones opinion on black in this position. Nd7 is obviously not the optimal spot for the knight here but on the other hand ...

a.Bg5 is not the best spot for White's bishop
b.A white Ne5 does not appear very effective since there is no threat to create a backward c pawn.
c.If it ever becomes availabe the knight can reach a juicy c4 square just as easily as when it starts out o c3.
d.Yes, Black's light squared bishop stinks even more than usual but aside from a6 lines when does it not stink in the exchange slav.

I ask because I would rather not face an exchange QGD unless White commits to Nf3 before I commit to Nd7.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo