Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What is the better/Rossolimo? (Read 5495 times)
johnmac
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: What is the better/Rossolimo?
Reply #5 - 04/26/05 at 09:40:51
Post Tools
This might be slightly off topic, and Rolf you probably know this already but if you are aiming for a sveshnikov (which seems v. popular these days) then you could use 2..e6 and aim to transpose via a 4 knights. This also sidesteps some of the other sidelines of the sveshnikov. Of course nothing is for free and there are other sidelines you have to deal with.

However I don't know what variation of the open sicilian you are aiming for, so this is probably completely irrelevant.

A bear of very little brain.

IP Logged

roi huypert

Reply #4 - 04/26/05 at 09:15:24
Post Tools
the more I look at it, the more I recognize that the Rossolimo variation is indeed a foolish thing.
White has, whatever black plays, a deadly line

against 3..g6 this is for me 5.Re1 Nf6, 6.e5!, quite difficult

against 3..d6: 4.d4 and castling long

against 3..e6: 5.b3, very diffult, Akopian did beat Kasparov in this line, the bishop on b2 is so strong that you can only decide between Ne7/Ng6/f6 or the Kasparov-line with a black 0-0-0; whatever you take, difficult again, very difficult.

I will have now a look at 3..Na5 and 3..Qb6, it cant be worse then the main lines in the Rossolimo!

IP Logged

Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Reply #3 - 04/24/05 at 02:43:45
Post Tools
Had a look at another Anti-R, 3.Na5. Thought it must be not difficult to prove the black underdelopment, like with 3...Qb6 above. But its not that easy. But I recognize that in all Rossolimo-variations that include a black e6, an early White e5 looks very strong.

For example, Heiki Westerinnen - Josef Roth, Liechtenstein open 1999:

1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 Nc6, 3.Bb5 Na5, 4.0-0 a6, 5.Be2 b5, 6.d4 cxd4, 7.Nxd4 Bb7, 8.Bf3 e6, 9.e5 Qc7, 10.Re1 Ne7 and know I know why I better dont play the Na5-variation, thank you, Mr. Westerinnen.

And this leads me now back to your question, Rolf Berger: in any e6-Rossolimo-variation - and Na5 is finally also in this category - you get after a white e5 a very difficult pawn structure with a hanging pawn on d7. I cannot imagine that somebody <2000 can like to handle such a difficult position. Another reason why I think that 3..g6 is the better Rossolimo. OK, if 3...g6, 4.Bxc6 then things get also somehow complicated with pawns on f6 and d6. But this still looks much easier to handle then the alternative.
Would like to hear what some 3..e6-Rossolimo player thinks about this.

IP Logged

Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Reply #2 - 04/23/05 at 11:50:27
Post Tools
By the way, I just had a look at the "Anti-Rossolimo weapon" 3..Qb6. At first I thought: wow, Korchnoj, Miles and Kupreichik have played it. But then I did find the following variation (at least for me a refutation):
3..Qb6, 4.Nc3 e6, 5.Bxc6 Qxc6, 6.d4 cxd4, 7.Nxd4 Qc7, 8. 0-0 a6, 9.f4 d6 (preventing e5), 10. f5 !!

IP Logged

Dutch-Kalashnikov

Ambivalent? Well, yes
and no.

Reply #1 - 04/23/05 at 09:52:57
Post Tools
Well, I did find in the 3..e6 Rossolimo so many variations that I consider quite bad for black, for example

3...e6, 4.0-0 Nge7, 5.Re1 a6, 6.Bxc6 Nxc6, 7.d4 cxd4, 8.Nxd4 Qc7, 9.Nc3 Bd6 (everything else then Bd6 is inferior, I think), 10. Nxc6 dxc6, 11.Qh5! and after my opinion White is clearly better.

At least regarding main lines, I trust the 3...g6 variation much more.

But what makes the Rossolimo in any variation so unpleasant, is 4.Bxc6 what gives White an edge, whatever black played in the 3rd move. Sad
All in all I am glad if I dont meet a Rossolimo!!

IP Logged

Rolf Berger

What is the better/Rossolimo?
04/23/05 at 07:51:46
Post Tools
Hi,
I am new here. I play chess on club level only since 2 years (around 1700 Elo).
I have problems against the Rossolimo-variation. So far I played 3..d6 but I dont like it, brrrr Angry. I think it is difficult to find something good, some alternative.

I must now decide if I shall build up my repertoire against the Rossolimo with 3..e6 or 3..g6. The 3..d6 Rossolimo is for me too complicated, the pawn structure is also very difficult, it seems whatever pawn you touch always it ends with some pawn hanging back.

What you think is better for me? I thank you in advance for any help. Please explain in general and so that also somebody of my level can understand it. Thanks, I really apreciate any advise Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo