Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Is Gambits Taimanov book any good...recommended? (Read 1538 times)
Richard Stanz

Re: Is Gambits Taimanov book any good...recommende
Reply #2 - 06/06/05 at 19:33:00
Post Tools
I have it and it's excellent.  It covers everything after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4  4. Nxd4 Nc6 including the pure Taimanov with ..Nge7 and the more common lines with ...Qc7.  Burgess does a nice job cataloguing the state of theory as of 2000, when the book was published.  While the theory in some of the lines has advanced, much of the anlaysis is still good.   

IP Logged

elspringer

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Is Gambits Taimanov book any good...recommende
Reply #1 - 06/01/05 at 09:37:11
Post Tools
According to Donaldson and Watson it is an  o u t s t a n d i n g  work. See http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews/index_openings.html
As to your repertoire, I for one think it is very interesting (I would like to adopt it as a second line myself).  As you are interested in Hedgehog positions you should probably also consult 'Sicilianisch im Geiste des Igels', which got praising reviews, too.

IP Logged

Alex

Is Gambits Taimanov book any good...recommended?
05/31/05 at 20:42:23
Post Tools
Does anyone here own the Taimanov and play the Taimanov.  Is Gambits book any good?  Does it also cover the lines that Taimanov recommends in "Winning with the Taimanov".  I'd kinda like to take a look at those even if I dont play them.   I think it went something like 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cd4 4.Nd4 e6 5.Nc3 a6 6. Be2/Be3/g3 Nge7?  I think it was something like that.  Anyway, I was just hoping if anyone owned the book if they could maybe give some of what is covered and if it is good.  I made it to about 2000 with the Spanish and Gruenfeld and now I want to switch and try to learn a Taimanov, Nimzo/Queens, Symmetrical/Hedgehog type black repertoire.  Thanks all.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo